[Release] vuMeter for AveDesk / ObjectDock

herd

it's here. (637k)

it's also available at dockex

and at wincustomize.

A fast, skinnable vuMeter for your dock or desk.

Seeing is believing:

fbs.gif

(above, the iTunes46 docklet - see my sig)

also looks nicely on the dock:

peterskin.gifvumeter.png

Special thanks go to ta2027 *) and dash1, who allowed me to use their graphics in the default skin.

See their excellent SystemMeter at http://ta2027.plala.jp/

Additional thanks to Unbeliever and Pe8er for beta testing and their excellent jumpstart skins.

Read the included readme and have fun.

*) becauthe ta2027 ith thaid to thpeak japanethe only, I thold my freedom to Ji Eun for a tranthlation. I now have a hunthchback, limp, and zis goththick acthent - and am hith Igor forever. Yeth, Mathter...

The scales move according to your soundcards output.

Remember cassette decks from the 80es/90es?

My uncle used to have an AKAI 7 inch 4 track consumer hifi tape when I was a kid - that had way HUGE volume meters. (like in the attachement, but of course brushed metal coverings)

post-8054-1101330849_thumb.png

is there a way to have this load only when iTunes is loaded?

Its not aimed at iTunes but to sound output in general. I can make it monitor an editable list of applications and disappear then. (AveDesk only) This would also imply an autostart feature. You'll likely see two new chackboxes anytime soon. (@Shmengie: this year)

Good work, but one thing: I can't seem to get the skins working. It disappears whenever I try to do anything with it. Can you please help?

Can you see a list of the skins?

Does the settings dialog display a preview image when you select a skin?

Do you get a question mark or an empty icon when you do this in ObjectDock?

Is your folder structure like the one laid out in the readme?

Eh, good idea and great docklet. I tested it yesterday and I nearly adopted it.

It's only "nearly" cause it crashed my PC twice...

I added vuMeter to my desktop, I took a little time to make it work but after 5 mn, all was fine. Then , I launched a game, played 30 mn. After some time, iTunes crashed. Was not the first time so I still played. After the end of the game, I launched again iTunes and saw vuMeter didn't work anymore. I choosed the "Start/Stop", nothing changed. I "start/stop"ed again. But after this, AveDesk didn't work anymore. And I couldn't stop 3 process with the Task Manager : AveDesk, Explorer, iTunes. Need to reboot.

I experimented this a little time later. But this time I didn't play and iTunes didn't crash at first. I only saw vuMeter didn't work. I "start/stop" twice and again the 3 process crashed.

So, I will wait for the next version before trying it again.

@heinzolinger & topshotta:

Does the problem continue if you change the desklets window style from "desktop icon" to "normal window"? - just a guess really, because I had it running for days - unaffected by iTunes crashes...

If a kill process won't work, try a logoff- it'll kill the process somewhat better than task manager (if that one shows up at all) and you don't have to reboot all the way.

Can you see a list of the skins?

Does the settings dialog display a preview image when you select a skin?

Do you get a question mark or an empty icon when you do this in ObjectDock?

Is your folder structure like the one laid out in the readme?

1. No.

2. No.

3. I don't have ObjectDock.

4. I think so...

Sorry for the late reply... I forgot to check in here.