[Release] KKMenu Tiger Skin

I had a lot of people look at this when I previewed it months ago but no responses. Either way I liked it and thought it was a great alternative to the ugly windows start menu and for those like myself that find Object bar a little to wonky with other apps. Enjoy!

Required:

KKMenu (you can edit the menus with menu editor)

Apps listed in Menu (various)

DownLoad Here

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice PDidee, thanks for sharing :)

I'm glad to see that people are still releasing skins for kKMenu. Seeing as I have found a skinner for kKMenu, I was wondering if I could possibly request a glass Menu skin, maybe something along the lines of a vista/stefanka stylisation. I was inspired to ask you of this request due to another glass border longhorn skin i stumbled across in the past (unfortunately, i do not remember where I found it, otherwise I might ask the original author for a mod.) I will post a screenshot of the skin later when I get home to show you what sparked my request.

regards

I found an image... it's in an aero style... I now remember what I disliked about it... the selection rounded-edged box was white, in stark contrast to the rest of the skin. I tried looking through the skin and adjusting it myself but could not find the element :P

EDIT: I found the link to the skin: http://www.wincustomize.com/viewskin.aspx?...=29&SkinID=4950

but I now recollect.. I tried contacting the author a while back and did not get a response. Originally, I was hoping only to get a modified version of the skin with a more subtle selection box (versus the white one presently.)

But if you were to attempt a more elegant glass version, I would dig it very much. I know my request is not aqua but please everyone, have patience with me :)

post-20869-1123096900_thumb.jpg

Hey Firecracker,

Okay this shouldn't be really hard at all; but I have a few questions. Do you have more examples of the glass skin screenshots of what you'd like the KK Menu skin to match? Rounded corners on the menu? Menu arrows?

Will work on this as I have time.

damn PDidee... thank you soo much for your contributions... I am at work late today with minimal internet access but if your offer still stands, perhaps i could still send some suggestive screenshots later? I was thinking something like a smoked/smokey glass border, with some middle portion I can't quite place my finger on right now ..hhe

And what you are doing with the aero base is exactly what I was hoping someone would do.... make the selection box a bit more subtle to the rest of the skin. :)

Cheers. I hope I can dig around and come up with some nice inspirations.

Thanks again!

From what I can see, that looks great!! But unfortunately, the image will not display past the thumbnail, the forum returns an error message.. any ideas?

Edit: never mind.. now it works :) I like it! I think it needs some polish at where the smokey glass meets the border but 'm not sure what... Great job!

From what I can see, that looks great!! But unfortunately, the image will not display past the thumbnail, the forum returns an error message.. any ideas?

Edit: never mind.. now it works :)

Try again I was replacing the image.

Like maybe a one pixel highlight all around?

Take another look I made a subtle change.

Drag the KKMenu.exe to the dock, right click to get properties. In that window nder either arguments or peramiters (spelling:P) type in the menu first "BLAHBLAHMENU.ini" then a space then type the skin "BLAHBLAHSKIN.ini" . then change the icon to what ever you like and thats it done. Make sure the Menu.ini is in your KKMenu/MENU/ folder and that both the skin.ini and Skin.png are in the KKMenu/SKINS/ folder.

wow.. i like where you're going with this...

could you try a screenshot with the selection box being a smokey glass that is darker? But just subtly..

(nice addition with the 1pixel highlight "subtle change" by the way!)

...and one where the selection box almost matches the border glass but includes the same 1px highlight style that you used as just mentioned, about the selection box as well? ( It's hard to see and i can't really tell but if the 1px white border does not exist on the left and right where the smokey glass meets the border glass, but just on the top an bottom borders, perhaps emulate that pattern with the selection box) Am I even making sense ..lol

Thanks again.. and i kinda like the how it looks without the separators.. :)

@Firecracker

Very good observation on the subtle white border I totally understood you cause what I did intentionally was to mimic what would happen to the glass if I followed the same reflected soft light the runs the length of the pane. The edge light would be most intense there and fade out at the sides so created the stroke 1px white line on another layer, lowered the opacity to bring down the intensity then added a layer mask and ran a gradient from black to transparent to fade both sides.

As for the suggestions see the screeny attached. one is of a smokey dark selection glass (or did you mean to lower the brightness a bit of the orginal?) the other is the original with a subtle edging much like the one around the frosted pane. I thought about trying to make the selection clear like the border but unfortunately KKSkins don't work that way, the selections paste over the background and the background is a fill pattern or image so the selection can't take bits of the background out to achieve an effect like that; but I like the frosted look either way sort of looks like etched glass. I think I'm gonna try teaching myself WB skinning. I think it would be awesome to have a Frosted Glass skin like this.

They are all looking nice :) I'm leaning towards the darker smokey glassed selection box.. maybe a bit darker? don't know if it would be too tacky but could you try a selection box that had this smooth glass effect?

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/12327189/

The trick would be bringing the two styles together without overly contrasting the end result ..lol

Maybe a new strain of a menu skin with the above smooth glass as a base?

And PDidee.. you should try your hands at WB Skinning as it'll be fun stuff when glass effects are achieved in that program; you will no doubt bring some nice eye-candy to the table.

I like the darker flat selection; i donno what i was thinking with the glossy glass variant ..lol well, I like the tone and glassy part of it.. maybe it's the bubble reflection at the upper edge that is throwing me for a loop... Could you try toning that down while preserving the rest? For this next screenshot, could you possibly zoom in a bit more, or give a higher resolution image? I would love to take a closer look.

Regards :)