iTunes & Master Volume Controller Docklet for OD

Hi guys.

For those of you using ObjectDock there's a new iTunes docklet that I've recently cooked for myslef and released. Being a docklet it's main purpose is to serve as a shortcut so it's feature set is rather focused. Still it has some useful functions I was unable to find anywhere else.

Brief description: Prev/Next, Pause/Play, Rate, change playlists, tag tracks, use iTunes as an alarm clock, stop playback after a track or two, seek inside the track; all of that and then some more without having to open iTunes or anything else for that matter.

As the title suggests it may also be used to control the master volume of your pc.

I'd love to have some feedback on how to make it more useful and/or better looking. Also any bug-reports will be appreciated.

http://wincustomize.com/ViewSkin.aspx?SID=...D=9620&LibID=29

post-43838-1141977223_thumb.jpg

I tried to use this in RK Launcher but i couldn't see the graphics. Could you make a version with the images in a separate folder?

I've never used RK Launcher before, so I haven't tested the docklet against it. I've just tried it out and it seems like RKL aggressively overwrites the base image layer. I'll be able to debug when I get back home. I didn't really want to put the images separately from the dll, to make it less complicated for inexperienced users. If you have any hints to the inner workings of RK Launcher and how it deals with ObjectDock docklets - that'll help me fix it more quickly.

:)

This looks really nice and useful..

too bad I don't use ObjectDock..

What are you using? I guess it's RK Launcher again? I'm going to see to it later in the day, but based on how it (mis)behaves with RK Launcher, now I'm guessing that RKL does not issue one of the OD callbacks (OnProcessMessage()). That might be a bug on RKL's side (or a feature), or simply due to the fact that RKL is still in beta.

... I didn't really want to put the images separately from the dll, to make it less complicated for inexperienced users...

About those inexperienced users, wouldn't they have to install all other docklets in the same way. And I think you made the installation procedure pretty clear in the readme.

... If you have any hints to the inner workings of RK Launcher and how it deals with ObjectDock docklets - that'll help me fix it more quickly.

I don't know much about how RK Launcher works but all other docklets for OD that I've tried with RKL have worked and this is the first one I used that got the images in the dll-file. Maybe you could make two versions, one for OD and the "inexperienced OD users" (:P That was a joke, please don't kill me!) and another one for RKL with the images in a separate folder.

Anyway, with the pictures out of the dll-file, modding the skin would be a whole lot easier.

..wouldn't they have to install all other docklets in the same way.

That's true, but believe it or not I still got installation questions about an earlier docklet that I've made. Not everyone feels at ease with the method of installation required by OD. And for some people this might be the first docklet they install, so they wouldn't know.

... and this is the first one I used that got the images in the dll-file.

Well, I did look around earlier today, and it turns out it is far from uncommon for an OD docklet to have problems working with RKL. As far as I understand, those are still beta versions of RKL that are now available, so problems are to be forgiven, if not expected.

Besides, the image is not the only problem here. The docklet fails to register left and middle mouse clicks, and mouse wheel (which are extensively made use of in its UI).

Maybe you could make two versions, one for OD and the "inexperienced OD users"

I can and I gladly would. The problem is that I don't know what's preventing the docklet from updating it's base image. Consequently - I don't know what I could do to make it work. Taking the images out of the dll certainly wouldn't help a bit.

Anyway, with the pictures out of the dll-file, modding the skin would be a whole lot easier.

I know, but that means that I need to do some more work to make it moddable in the first place ;) If anyone tells me that s/he is interested in modding this herself - I'd do it. But until then I prefer to focus my leisure time on things that'll make the docklet more useful, like WMP/Winamp support (hey, that's not a promise) :)

• 4 months later...