flyakite

Developers
  • Last visited

Everything posted by flyakite

1. You may/may not be talking about me and my website http://osx.portraitofakite.com. The site was down for a good few months at least and I FINALLY took the time to bring it back up just a few days ago. For anyone else that is interested no I am not dead and I do have plans to pick up the FlyakiteOSX project soon.
  2. Do me a favor. Run down to your local electronics shop and pick up an X-Fi audio card, an Ageia Physx card, two 8800GTX card for SLI, and let me know how well those work in OS X for you. And then while you're at it check out this list: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...hardware_10.4.3 And then take a trip down to Cupertino and tell them that image is no longer important. That their hardware design isn't part of what makes them successful. When people think "Apple", there are certain things they associate with the name hardware/software wise. And then you can sit and field the support calls that would come in due to the overwhelming amount of new hardware they'd be responsible for supporting. Imagine the amount of calls MS gets due to the amount of 3rd party hardware they support in their OSes. There's a reason Dell will not support you when you call them with problems about a product you installed that didn't come with the system. They don't want to have to deal with it. There's a reason car manufacturers won't support after-market addons. It's also no secret that we all hate Windows activation, or any DRM schemes for that matter. And everyone argues that Activation/DRM only hurts the honest consumer. Now consider that OS X has NO serial/licensing mechanism built into it. You honestly think that because Apple doesn't implement a serial/activation scheme that people will respect that and legitimately buy it? No, all you gotta do is make a copy and it works for anyone. If Windows had NO activation/serial schemes built into it the piracy rate would skyrocket even more. OEMs would install one copy on all computers, it would be passed around to friends and family, and no one would be the wiser. Microsoft wouldn't know, and end users wouldn't know they are running illegal copies of the OS because they would have no activation/wga issues since it wasn't there. This goes way beyond just allowing OS X to be installed on non-Apple hardware. We can all claim to be experts on something saying "they should do this/that", but in reality there ARE reasons a company makes the decisions it does.
  3. This is due to either chinese versions of XP I believe or one of the character packages for XP. Crap I can't remember it's been so long, haha. Either way, the reason is that shell32.dll is larger than 9mb and it causes those problems in those particular scenarios. The solution is to install FlyakiteOSX using the 48x48 icon option, not the 128x128. This will keep the file size below that and shouldn't cause any problems. Of course if you use icons larger than 48x48 it will affect you, otherwise you won't notice a difference.
  4. I have never used VMware Server. I use VMware Workstation EXTENSIVELY though. With Workstation you must first install the VMware Tools. From there you can just drag and drop between the guest and host systems. I'm guessing you could also try sharing a drive on the host and mapping it on the guest possibly. I'm at work now and I don't have access to my machine so I can't check what other options are available.
  5. Yes actually I am. I have been VERY busy lately with all sorts of stuff going on. I plan on making an official post regarding what I've been doing and what the current plans for FlyakiteOSX are sometime this week. There is a lot going on and a lot planned so I'll make sure to update everyone, don't worry. I'll try to post about it in the next couple of days so keep an eye out.
  6. I will be updating the patcher to support the new versions sometime this weekend. I will probably also be adding Vista uxtheme support (hopefully). Note that the patcher supporting Vista does NOT mean I have any plans to develop FlyakiteOSX for Vista.
  7. Or, offer something someone else already has, but you do it much, much, much better. You add originality, good atmosphere, a place people want to visit. If you're just a copy of something that's already been done, then what reason do people have to visit?
  8. 1. Which incarnation of the iPod do you like the most (product line and generation)? iPod Nano (RED): An amazing display of technology in a tiny little package, plus part of the proceeds benefit a great cause. 2. Which version of iTunes do you like best? Feature wise: iTunes 7 for Mac (sorry, the Windows version just doesn't cut it) Design wise: iTunes 6 for Mac 3. Name the celebrity you think is the hottest (do both genders for a chance at extra points!)? Female: Jessica Alba - she's gorgeous and has a very innocent look to her Male: Brad Pitt, because well he is a good looking guy, and even more so he's very down to earth, nice, and a good person overall. 4. If you could have a super power, what would it be? Flight: As cliched as it is, that's what I want. I could get a lot more done if I never had to sit in traffic or deal with Chicago drivers. 5. What is your favorite color/colour? Orange 6. Do you play World of Warcraft? No, nor do I ever plan on it. I know too many people who have become beyond addicted to it. 7. Favorite genre of music (Try to keep it as simple as possible. I only know seven.)? Jazz 8. In one word, describe me. Crazy..... CrazyAwesome that is. 9. Chocolate or Vanilla? Mint Chocolate Chip 10. Make up your own question and answer it. Will there be a FlyakiteOSX v4.0 and when? Yes and when I say so. Quit f'in asking me!
  9. EDIT 3: Screw it, I think it can take off. I don't care anymore. I'm done editing this post. I should just delete this whole thing. EDIT AGAIN: So I thought about it some more. I actually don't think it would take off the more I think about it. It is possible for a plane to sit on the ground with it's engines at full blast but the brakes are on, and therefore the plane doesn't move. So on a treadmill, the plane is still stationary in relation to the outside world. Since the plane isn't moving against the air around it, there's no lift on the wings, and I don't think it would take off. EDIT: I take what I wrote below back. I was thinking of power being driven to the wheels like in an automobile. In this case the wheels only move because the thrust of the engine is pushing the plane forward. So in reality, I don't know. Definitely not. It's the equivalent of putting the plane on a dyno machine. It just sits there and the wheels move, nothing else. Even though engines provide thrust and move air, an engine can't fly on it's own. You need wings and airflow over/under the wings. When the plane is sitting there, there's no airflow around the wings. Nothing to lift it up.
  10. It's the Harlem Globetrotter's theme song, which is called Sweet Georgia Brown by Brother Bones.
  11. First of all, people need to stop calling them M$, isn't that a bit out of style now? Secondly, people shouldn't blame Microsoft as an entity. It's not like Bill Gates and Steve Balmer said "Hey use this icon", whoever is responsible for that page obviously is at fault here, not the entire Microsoft corporation.
  12. Iconfactory didn't create the icon. As well, that 2nd link mentions nothing about them denying they licensed it out. They say right in the little post that the icon was created by Apple.
  13. This has been answered before. Check the FAQ on my site. It's there for a reason. http://osx.portraitofakite.com/
  14. 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? And this is with the most recent 2.1 patcher? Because I just checked the code and that version is in the installer for 32-bit.
  15. I don't think I got the e-mail, I just searched my inbox and found nothing. Can you resend the e-mail, and attach your uxtheme.dll file from system32? (flyakite19 at hotmail)
  16. Sure sign me up, and if you even need proof that I own a Mac (I own 2) Photo, then I hate you
  17. You know you could do a search on the system easily . Anyway though it's in WINDOWSWinSxSx86.... folders.
  18. Those icons are in comctl32.dll. I HATE those icons with a passion. God I hate them so much. I hate microsoft for the way they have implemented them. They are in the comctl32.dll files that are NOT in system32. Do not touch the ones in system32.dll. And the comctl32.dll file not in system32.dll appears multiple times, in odd folders (really odd) and the folders vary depending on the service pack etc. God I hate it so much. It was a pain implementing into FlyakiteOSX, and I keep wanting to just remove it from the installer, but I hate removing stuff after it's been implemented because it upsets people, even they don't understand the problems associated with it. If the system files updater doesn't work, try the Force System File Updater. I'm not sure if that file is in the force updater, but give it a try. Other than that, you can try hacking comctl32.dll, the one not in system32 folder. But.. ugh.. I hate it, I can't even say it enough.
  19. 1. You can't hack a dll file and get the glyphs on the left. You have to use 3rd party software like WindowBlinds, and a skin that is designed for WindowBlinds with the glyphs on the left. Look around, you can find plenty. 2. http://home.cogeco.ca/~rklauncher/ On the right, towards the bottom "Aladdin's Lamp". It only works for RK Launcher obviously.
  20. Updated to v2.1 (fixed a few bugs I missed when adding 64bit compatibility), and figured out a way to do some things differently so that I could make the tool even smaller (66.5kb total now). Supports all uxtheme files (other than Vista) and takes about 1 second to patch. Eventually, and I don't know. I haven't started work on it yet, but I will soon. My first priority is to release an updated version of FlyakiteXP (you can find info for it somewhere on the forum here, it's been quite awhile)
  21. Nope, it's simply a tool that makes it so you can use 3rd party visual styles. If those are already working from the FlyakiteOSX 3.5 patch, then you're good.
  22. Update: v2.0 has been released which includes 64bit support
  23. Well, because I feel the need to tell someone, I am about 1/3 of the way finished with 64bit support. As of a couple of hours ago I have x64 loaded up in VMware, and have been doing hex comparisons on uxtheme files to find the right offsets to patch, and did a test to see if I could binary edit 64bit files from a 32 bit installer. It turns out I can, and then I found out how to disable the 64bit system file redirection for 32bit apps (by default they access the 32bit folder SysWOW64, not system32). So by the end of tomorrow I will probably have a new version supporting 64bit. If anyone wants to help me do some quick testing PM me and include your uxtheme version please. Thanks!
  24. flyakite

Logon

The reason it shows the login screen now is because it shows 2 users, you and probably the "Administrator" account. If you want to remove the "Administrator" account from showing (it is hidden in XP by default but always exists, FlyakiteOSX simply enables showing it on the Logon Screen), run the FlyakiteOSX uninstaller and in the Tweaks section select the "Show "Administrator" account on Welcome Screen" option or whatever it is listed as. Now, since you only have one account it should automatically take you into your account. However, about the mouse you shouldn't have to click it a bunch of times for it to work. Is it wireless? Maybe your batteries are dying, I don't know.
  25. 81? Damn, just die already, you'd be doing the forums a big favor. I kid, I kid. Happy Birthday though, if this is for real lol.