Oxideous

• Last visited

Everything posted by Oxideous

1. Thanks for the reply. I think that it is probably a bad ram stick. The RAM as far as I know is able to run in it's current configuration, as it did for close to 8 months. But while I was testing I was unable to single out which one, even when testing each stick in each slot. Figuring out the exact problem is really my issue at this point, and I feel like I've done just about everything a trained technician would do.
  2. Hi Guys, I realize that this isn't the best forum to ask this question, but I know many of you are tech savy enough to possibly help me. Feel free to delete if truly doesn't belong here. To start, my computer specs are as follows: Windows Vista Ultimate Intel Quad Core Q6600 MSI P6N Platinum 1GB x 4 Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 2 IDE HDD 1 SATA HDD Everything is stock Now, as far as my problem, 2 days ago, I was surfing the web when I experienced a BSOD. This was the third time I had since I installed Vista back in Nov 08, so I brushed it off as some random occurrence and rebooted. Unfortunately, they kept on coming back within moments of windows starting. I then booted into safe mode, installed anti-virus and did a scan, came back clean. I then ran Memtest86+ which came back to a shit-ton of errors. So I then took each stick of ram and put each one in each slot (for a total of 16 combos), and each one came back clean. I also tried using only sticks 2 and 4, which came back to errors as well. I am confused here, as having ran each stick alone in each slot coming back with no errors, how should I move forward here? I am unsure if it is one stick of ram that's bad, or perhaps a bad slot, or is it the combination of the sticks? I am ready to buy new ram, however I do not want to do that and come back to the same issue. For the record, I am also aware that the RAM I am using on newegg is reviewed quite terribly. I bought this machine off a guy from school, and I added 2 sticks to the type that was already in there. Should I buy more I will go with a different brand/model. Any help is extremely appreciated.
  3. iTunes sucks in general, at least on the PC.
  4. Thank you for your reply but I don't think you quite understand. I know how to resize avedesk icons, but I that is not the route that I want to choose because avedesk no longer functions properly. The picture I posted is of my vanilla vista desk, and I am confused as to why an ICO with a 128px icon in it will only show up at that size, and any other software/tweaks I can use/perform to get my big icons back.
  5. So I recently took the plunge and installed Vista SP1 on my system, and overall I am very pleased, however there are a few annoyances that continue to plague me. It mostly has to do with large icons. I know that vista supports huge icons, but I am having major difficulty getting custom icons to appear in the same large size as "standard ones" (See picture). I also attempted the ctrl+scroll maneuver and the "to be sorted" stays the same size while the bounding box gets bigger, and yes before you ask, the ICO file has a 128px image in it. I attempted the 1.4 Avedesk compatibility build and it works.. however it was very glitchy, and the fact that whenever I used the show desktop button the icons disappeared until I hit it again was a deal breaker. So I am very curious what the latest technique to pull this off is, I went to a variety of different widget engines and can't seem to find what I am looking for, which is pretty much something like pidlshortcut from avedesk. I attempted samurize breifly but I can't seem to figure out where to start with the icons, though I am sure it's possible. Someone please shed some light I am at my witts end.
  6. I think that iPod looks very nice actually, very interesting for a future design. As far as iTunes goes, do we really need NEW features? Honestly all I want iTunes to do is organize my music (which it does very well) and play it, all of which it does at the moment... but, I have a rather large collection (and I'm sure this has something to do with it) but iTunes uses a rediculous amount of resources, and I just upgraded to vista/latest itunes and it runs terribly, usually consuming past 100mb of ram. I would like to see a streamlined/more efficient iTunes, cause I've attempted to use other mp3 players (I used to be a winamp boy), but none of them cut it for me like iTunes does.
  7. Cool little program, I used to want a program just like this, mostly for my dock, but I found a solution a couple years ago that may work better. http://www.hawkeyetech.com/products/freeware.htm#hsi Hawkeye Shellnit. You just create a file with the margins and their numbers, uses far less resources than this.
  8. You do realize, that if you were to get a wide screen resolution working on a 4:3 monitor, everything would be very squished horizontally... Seems pretty pointless to me. If you have a spare monitor, hook up up for dual 4:3's, that should get you some of the space you are looking for, otherwise there is really no substitute for a wide screen monitor.
  9. I don't know what version of AIM you are using and if you are Mac or Windows, but on Windows for AIM 5.9 and lower I would recommend getting Messenger Mate, it allows for skinning as well as a boatload of other mods for AIM, like tabbing and logging. Everything that Dead AIM was capable of plus way more..... And it looks like it's been discontinued. Sorry to get your hopes up. http://www.versoworks.com/vw/?p=products
  10. Dualies, as per usual. http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3968/46354442fh4.jpg
  11. In XP I'm not familiar with any sort of "on the fly" color inverting, but you can hit print screen on your keyboard, then paste the picture into paint, where the option is readily available.
  12. I agree with you on the GUI and sluggish performance, however my major gripe lies with search function. In previous versions when you searched there would be a gray toolbar that appeared in the library window which would allow you to refine your search for artist album etc. I only recently discovered that you can click the magnifying glass in the search bar to do the same thing, poor placement methinks. As far as iTunes 8, I would really appreciate, at least in the windows version, better performance, as it runs perfectly on OS X for me. Anyways, it's called Mplugin, it makes iTunes 7 bearable.
  13. Usually when I format I go right over to flyakite and kol's windowblind's tiger theme, but I found something I like here.
  14. Hi all, I have a Powerbook G4 15" and a AMD 3200 based PC, and on my PC, I have a crappy web cam that I got years ago for free when I signed up for DSL. Anyways, I was interested in buying the iSight around Christmas time but it disappeared, and I am not paying more than retail on the already high priced item. I also work at CompUSA, and my apple rep said that the iSight being pulled in the manner it was was the first time in history an apple product disappeared without notice. So he thinks at this mac world they may announce a new one or whatever. Anyways from what I can tell, no other web cams will work natively on the mac without special software, so does anyone know of one that will? Or would it be worthwhile to buy a nice logitech camera with some software? I am looking to get as much functionality out of the webcam as I could with the isight, specifically iChat. I never had much interest in this feature cause only one other person I knew had a mac, also with no webcam, but this Christmas a few of my friends got the new mac books with the web cam built in. So if someone could shed some light on this it would be great. I am looking for a high quality cam, in the 50-100 dollar range, for the same functionality as an iChat. I have been eying the Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks, Deluxe and Pro versions, as we sell both in my store, but I am weary that I will have difficulties.
  15. Dude, of course it doesn't work. Look at the page again underneath the post, in a gray font that blends, it says "This post was meant to be sarcastic =)"
  16. Wii first, then ps3 when prices and bugs are worked out. I bought a launch 360, bad idea, thing crapped out on me a few weeks later.
  17. While I have no use for it being that I don't have a shuffle, I think it looks great, despite what you think about the preview. Good Job
  18. It looks a lot like the Nissan 350 Z's, only more aggressive.
  19. My Love <333333 2005 Acura TSX Milano Red
  20. I don't think she looks THAT young.
  21. Saosin - Seven Years off the Translating the Name EP <333 Anthony Green