dpsleep

• Last visited

Everything posted by dpsleep

1. Yeah jef, I remember you. Don't think we ever interacted, but it was hard to not notice you with that administrator flair I remember crediting you for the idea of an avetunes skin I made.
  2. Came back here today to find the name of an artist I was a fan of back in the day. I ended up going though a bunch of my old post's, it's weird to read something I wrote in my teens... I ended up just buying macs when I finally got a decent job, on a 2015 macbook pro 15" now. Looking back, everything we did was such a hack job, but it was all so much fun. I don't think I would have ever poked at the internals of windows as much as I did if it wasn't for this place, learned a lot. I really wish I didn't host everything I made here on my damn comcast account though :( Anyways, miss this site, was the first online forum I felt I was a part of. As long as it's up i'm sure i'll end up poking around here again. Thanks Timan!
  3. its not that it isn't detected, windows can tell me what my hardware is, no unknowns, they just don't have the drivers for it. and my hardware is not old, its not new, but its definitely not old. it does run almost (there are times...) flawlessly on linux, but not because it is low on resources (far more optimized then windows), but because they have the drivers to back it up. and there isnt some silly, "hey i detected some new hardware" dialog, it just works, no installing drivers, no restarting, just works. i mean, it works perfectly on all my older computers that vista cant do anything with. old hardware isn't something that should just be dumped, support for old hardware should always be there. as far as the bsod being eliminated in windows 6.0? you have to be kidding, the bsod still occurs in vista. i did give vista a chance, and it was nothing i want to go back to, for my windows machine i still use xp, at least i have most my hardware working. when i say about 30% i mean basic video output (no hardware acceleration drivers...), mouse, keyboard, dvdrw+- drive, and my ide (but not my sata) hard drive. what wasn't working was my wacom tablet pen, my tv tuner card, my sound card, usb, bluetooth, my video card (no drivers) 500gb sata drive, and amd cool and quiet (the fans spin at full speed at all times). so maybe its more like 50/50, but that still sucks for a mainstream os. im not saying that it didn't have a great start, just that they got there first and got all the support and backing from the big corps. they were brilliant men, well most of them, and they revolutionized the pc industry, but the only reason they got there is because they made something everyone needed, but didn't know they needed, until they had it. they get the points for a great idea, but the end product we see today is not what it should be. they innovated to get their front row seat (if you call ripping off the gui that apple riped off of xerox innovating), but since then have been napping on a huge pile of cash. no more innovation, just people buying what crap they put out because it became a standard. I'm also not trying to say there isn't any innovation peaking through Microsoft's "windows", but for a company that is suppose to be the industry standard, there not doing very well. well thats the thing isn't it, when you use experimental beta drivers, bugs are sure to pop out, but is that Linux's fault? no. congrats on never having a bsod on xp. thats always good. but don't criticize my ass dwelling ratios when your comparing beta code to a stable release. what i meant by windows being buggy and Linux being stable is that, well for example ill use the up-time Linux nerds love to brag about. if you leave a windows system running for oh, a week, regularly using it, it will slow down, allot. what do you do? restart. while you could leave you Linux system on for a month strait, regularly, and notice almost nothing slowing down. wow, hold on there buddy. i never said Linux doesn't have better plug and play than windows. i just said its not that great. and even then i mean things like video cards, where its all closed off, and the company doesn't release very good, if any at all drivers for Linux. then they have to hack together some drivers for said video card. and whats this statement of "All the hardware supported on Linux is but a subset of that supported by windows." this is not true. not all Linux drivers are based off their windows counterparts. in fact there is a minority of hardware made for Linux. and just because a piece of hardwares original functionality was meant for windows, doesn't mean Linux cant have drivers that are as good as or even better than those on windows. this goes back to the fact that it depends on the programmer, and the documentation of the device. this also shows how Microsoft has a hold on the computer industry. they have the hardware support because company's give it to them, if they were to open up there drivers documentation, then Linux would in turn have better support. but since Linux is mostly non-profit, and free to download, its hard to pay off hardware manufacturers to close their hardware to your os. now this sentence, "And to base your claims on Vista only says that your hardware is obsolete" just makes me laugh. your saying that a newer os cant function on older hardware because that hardware is "obsolete", and thats just stupid. Microsoft had the functionality before, but now its gone, where did it go? down the drain. they decided that they didn't want to update there old drivers for the new operating system. yea, something Linux has been doing since creation, with people working in their spare time, for free. and btw my hardware is not obsolete, AMD Athlon Socket 939 64 Processor 3000+ NVIDIA G70 [GeForce 7800 GS] ASUS Socket 939 A8V Deluxe well sure they are opening up to new users who just want a working computer, but windows is a baby's rattle compared to the complexity of Linux. meaning they cant hold your hand through everything, and you can really easily mess up your system. your gonna have to learn something about terminal sooner or later and some people don't want to have to do that. windows is still more home user friendly, and Linux is catching up, but it is still a ways off, and to promise someone an easy point click experience with Linux would be dishonest. i agree installing Linux is getting easier, with live cd's and such. but the learning curve is still in windows favor. and coldwerturkey: I'm currently on a Ubuntu Linux box, not that i don't use other distro's, but Ubuntu is my favorite. Mostly for the fact that its based off Debian.
  4. coldwerturkey- sorry but i just have to correct you on this, Microsoft is "#1" because it got there first, thats it. Having allot of things running at startup on any system will make the boot time slower. and weather or not it's certified by Microsoft makes no difference except one has a sticker. the difference is in the developer, how well they optimize there code, what they are writing it in, bug hunting, etc. windows, believe it or not, is very, very buggy. ever heard of the BSOD? Linux is way more stable than windows in almost every way. but its not perfect, theres always kernel panics, but they will happen allot less then BSOD's. if i had to pull a ratio out of my ass, i would say 100 to 1. When it comes to plug and play, its true that Linux isn't that great. the only reason for this is everything has been made for windows, so unless a developer owns the same hardware as you and has written drivers for it, or just enabled it to be recognized upon plugin, your sore outta luck. but Linux still has better hardware support than windows last time i checked. oh, and Linux has already surpassed windows. look at vista, thats the crappiest piece of software i would ever expect to come out of M$. I tried it out to see what was up and it didn't support about 70% of my hardware, but Linux did without configuration. i mean, if you had to setup a server would you a.)setup a windows box with iis or b.) setup a Linux box with apache? B of course, unless you want to have a site with an uptime of 50%. MacOS9fan- as far as picking a distro, its all about what you want to do, what kind of hardware you got and your level of understanding of the operating system. check out this site http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ as for your camera, ill bet you can get it working, without much effort, just use Google to find a fix, if that doesn't work, go to the forums and ask the people who know the in's and out's of Linux help you. I've gotten better support for free off a forum then i ever payed for from M$. everyone- if your gonna ***** about how hard Linux is to use, then don't use it, its obviously not for you. i enjoy working on computers and making them do what i want. to put it blunt (and in the form of a vw commercial) on the road, there are passengers and there are drivers, one knows how to use the car, how it works, etc. the other is just along for the ride. sorry for ranting, i don't mean to be rude, i just can stand seeing these myths be spread around the net.
  5. well i use the lightbox plugin for wordpress to display my images. but if you want to change the way the plugin displays your gallery, your probally gonna need to edit the css.
  6. hey, if you want i could give you some space on my server. just message me if your interested.
  7. wow, i really need to start reading the names of the people who reply...
  8. well crni hasn't emailed me back yet, is he not reachable?
  9. heh, i forgot about my old comcast acount. i didn't do that other one your requesting but i think i remember an avetunes version of it. edit: looks like it was only for samurize. ill ask the author real quick if i can port it to avetunes...
  10. heh, im the one that made it... if you want i can edit it to show local ip too
  11. not that i know of.... i think there was something for macs, but i cant remember
  12. it also works on ati cards, on fgrlx. i am on nvidia with aiglx with the nvidia beta drivers. as far as wireless goes, i have no experience. but i do know there have been allot of howto's posted on the ubuntu forums and the ubuntu wiki. i love linux, switched from windows (modded to look like os x of cource) about a year ago and havent looked back. all the games i regularly play on steam, ive been able to install and play on linux with wine. plus you wouldent belive how much better modifying the ui is than on windows, it may not be easy but it looks so good in the end.
  13. hey timan, i made a picture gallery script a while ago thats pretty simple and easy to customize. though it doesn't have many more features besides viewing pictures, more functionality could be built into it pretty easily. http://cycodude.com/gallary/new/ i never really spent much time on it so its nothing great
  14. heh, i found my diablo cd the other day and im looking for my d2 LOD battle chest right now.
  15. no, this is great. thanks a bunch nc, you rock
  16. thanks nc, heres the original download link. http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Suppo...m_7.0.1.smi.bin
  17. because the smi files include the install files for the operating system, nothing illegal though. its openly avayable on apples website, but its still in the smi formatt.
  18. hey, i was installing mac-on-stick from here and after searching google for half an hour, trying to figure out how to extract the smi file, i found out this can only be done on a mac. i was wonedering if anyone with a mac would be so kind as to extract the smi file and send it to me. www.cycodude.com/System7.0.1.smi thanks for any help dpsleep
  19. the green 93 ford ranger is mine, along with the 97 honda xr100 mind the crappy pic, camera phone...
  20. awsome.... i'm gonna go make a new skin now...
  21. compusa?!?!? dont you have any computer stores nearby besides compusa?
  22. heres a good aticle on 939 from wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_939 oh and those sse2 and sse3 instructions are what is needed to use mac osx86, encase you wanted to know....
  23. thats what i do, got kinda sick of 64 bit, allot of the programs i like wernt working correctly, of cource there are now 64 bit versions of those apps, but im content at 32. if you want to get a 64 bit athlon make shure and find a socket 939. there about to stop makeing them i hear.