g8trtim

• Last visited

Posts posted by g8trtim

1. Have you considered not buying a mac? Granted I have a macbook so I'm not trying to dissuade you from purchasing a mac. I think its great that you have the initiative to get a job to afford the things you want, especially at 14.

You said you want to run photoshop and some macromedia apps. I won't include internet browsing or media apps since they are not intensive apps and my old 733Mhz P3 server can do that.

My two cents: First off, why a macbook with a 13.3" screen? You will definitely want more screen real estate, so have you considered a desktop or second monitor?

Photoshop and Macromedia apps all run very well on a PC. Are you bound to apple computers for some reason? You could pick up a more than adequate Dell in the same configuration as the macbook for around 600$. I had a dell inspiron 8100 that lasted me 4 years in college and then lasted my brother 2 years of abuse.

Then again, the Dell E520/E521 desktops can be purchased with a monitor for less than 400$. Add some RAM to get 2GB and you've got a desktop that will make design work much more enjoyable and is upgradable for a few years worth of use.

Or you can just save the money and buy a macbook and feel like the cool kid in class! I love taking mine to class and having the old folks think I'm edgy lol... With that, I vote for a the entry level with added RAM.

2. if no thumbnail in the info window, you can open the applications resource folder by control clicking and selecting that option, and then open resources folder, rename default icon, and drop the new one in. make sure you match the names of the icons.

or you can just use iconverter to generate an icns with thumbnail from a png for example and use candybar, info window, etc...

3. I'm not sure yet... i tested it on a small volume populated with about 10 word documents, text files, folders, pictures... I ran a couple tests of renaming, deleting, altering, etc under the different options to see how well they worked... everything was very snappy and the options do exactly what the short explanation presents.

soon enough this will be used to sync my main music partition to folder on a non-partitioned (larger) secondary drive. The plan is to have a backup directory which is not limited by space constraints and later mirror w/ raid1 on a dedicated box for ftp/streaming from the outside...

4. I hate bumping threads like this, but this is a great tool that needs to be advertised a little... I am in the process of going raid 1 but until i build a new dedicated server, I picked up a 160 gb drive to backup primarily my music off my master partitioned drive. wanted free software that was easy to use and reliable... SyncToy offers about 7 options for synchronizing, echoing, etc; about any combination you want to backup folder a to folder b.

small, streamlined, free app... nice work microsoft!