About mat7h3w

• Birthday 04/19/1977

Contact Methods

• AIM
    mat7h3wf
  • Yahoo
    mat7h3w

mat7h3w's Achievements

1. Any chance of anyone making a port of Milk with the color variations seen in the actual OS X version seen here? http://www.maxthemes.com/themes/?theme=Milk I believe the color choices offered are blue, pink, orange, green, and silver. I really enjoy the Milk theme, and although the ports to Windowblinds/MSStyles are nice, they are only offered in white or white/brown (chocolate) color schemes. It would totally rock to see the full color variations offered by the original OS X theme in Windowblinds for Windows.
  2. Can anyone tell me where I can find the wallpaper that is shown in this screenshot on Deviantart? http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19437235
  3. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there exists a good dock skin that matches Stefanka's InspirtSE visual style? If not, could someone recommend one that would be at least a somewhat close match to it?
  4. For starters, anyone considering the differences between the Wii and the PS3 should check out this video. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9...q=ps3+wii&hl=en As to my personal opinion, I understand the PS3 is almost sickeningly expensive, but suprisingly enough the PS3 is actually being sold at a loss by Sony. The reason is a fairly simple one and its something that most companies that produce gaming systems put into practice. The idea is to sell the system for less than its worth and make up the loss in profit on the system by selling peripherals and games. Unfortunately, Sony got nailed in a bad way over this, given that the majority of the people who purchased a PS3 did so for selling them on eBay. So, they sold very few peripherals and games with the launch systems. I also feel they cut their own throats by providing so few systems per store. As far as technology goes, I could care less about the Blu Ray thing. Sure, its the future of DVD, but because of the way Blu Ray drives work, conventional CD and DVD technology has issues being read and played properly by Blu Ray drives. That is the biggest part of the reason why PS2 and PS1 games, while they will play on the PS3, look like garbage. Sony should seriously have included a 2nd drive in the PS3 that was just a standard DVD-Rom. As cheap as a simple DVD-Rom drive is, it wouldn't have driven up the system cost overall, and would have saved the issues with standard DVD movies, and PS2/PS1 games being played well in the PS3. As to the Xbox360, I think Microsoft jumped the market far too soon. As it stands, the HD-DVD drive is just now becoming more commonly avalible. Yet, for the 360 you can only get it as an add-on, and a rather expensive one at that. So, not only is it even more money to spend on an already expensive system, but its a rather tacky looking external drive at that. Sure, it's a USB 2.0 drive, but HD DVDs transfer a sick amount of data, I'm honestly not certain of USB 2.0 has the bandwidth to handle that effectively. In addition, the 360 does not use Bluetooth, and as such its wireless gamepads suffer from some pretty bad interferance problems. Going back to Sony, it's also a company that has a rather bad history of business practices, especially over the past few years. Anyone remember that garbage with the rootkit they put on all their CDs and DVDs? On top of that, they still have never apologized for doing it. They simply apologized for getting caught. Makes you wonder what they will try sneaking by consumers this time around. Nintendo does one thing and it does it very well, and that is make gaming systems. For those that think the Wii is only for kids, check out some of the more adult oriented titles on the system, you'll change your mind quickly. The motion sensing technology built into it is outstanding. Nintendo is also showing what type of a company it is by recalling the controllers with the wrist strap problem and replacing them. Good luck ever seeing Sony do something like that. Sure, the Wii isn't HD or Blu Ray, but who really needs that? Most people still don't own an HDTV, and without one you cannot truly take advantage of either technology. Sure, the Gamecube had a few issues and wasn't made the best, but also keep in mind a something. The Gamecube was Nintendo's first venture into the world of making a disc based system. All of the experience that Sony picked up through trial and error, was already out of the way with the PSone. So, if you make a comparison to issues that the Gamecube had versus issues the original PSone had, you'll see that Nintendo did in fact make a far better first generation disc based system than Sony did. Unlike the PS3 and its problems playing PS2 and PS1 games well, the Wii plays Gamecube games nearly flawlessly. It also has a massive game library of retro gaming titles that gets larger by the day. The games are pretty cheap for that as well. In a year or so, I imagine that Nintendo will have a library just in retro titles alone that will exceed the number of titles ever released on the Xbox/Xbox360 or the PS1/PS2/PS3. That in and of itself is something that motivates me to like the Wii. Price is another big thing for me. The Wii is only $250 and doesn't require any special wiring, cables or some high end TV to be able to fully enjoy it. The PS3 requires much much more to even begin to make use of its most basic features. On a final note, the PS3 will run Linux, I have a friend that has Linux installed onto his PS3. That is a pretty cool thing. However, there is absolutely NO distro of Linux that supports the cell processors in the PS3 as of yet. That will probably change in the future, but to date there isn't. So, Linux on the PS3 can only use the single PowerPC processor in the PS3. As a result, it runs almost like a snail in some instances. Now, once a distro of Linux comes out that supports those cell chips, it will probably be sick in speed. Until then though, I wouldn't really recommend anyone putting Linux on their PS3.
  5. Well this thread was started back in 2005. We're up to Yahoo widgets engine 3.1 now. Anyone got any ideas for replacing the background on this one?
  6. Could someone tell me which dashboard widgets still exist for the current version of Yahoo widgets engine? I've found a few on osx-e but some don't seem to work with the current version of the widget engine on yahoo, or at least not work correctly. I was told that at one time nearly all the dashboard widgets were done and hosted on the Konfabulator website, but since purchased by yahoo I can't find them, even with doing searches for nearly everything I can think of on the official gallery. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
  7. Hi everyone. I hope everyone had a great holiday season this year. I am working on trying to get a desktop PC to be as close to a perfect clone of Mac OS X as possible for a close friend of mine. He's been one of my best friends for almost 10 years and has recently fallen on some hard times. It's a gift for Christmas. He's a big fan of Mac OS X and recently got a new PC for Christmas. I'd appreciate any assistance any of you might be willing to offer to help me fine-tune what I currently have to be even better. For starters, I downloaded and installed the latest pack from Flyakite, which I believe is version 3.5. The system is currently using the icons, cursors, login, bootskin, etc. from that pack. The system also has Object Desktop from Stardock on it at the moment. My first question is, which is currently the best skin for Windowblinds to match OS X Tiger? I've got the one that came with Flyakite, and found a couple of others online, but I am unsure which is the best one to look for overall accurate appearance. Additionally, I have Styler Toolbar setup on the system, and I am curious which styler toolbar is currently the best Mac clone to use? I've installed iTunes and am using the Mac OS X skin from multi-plugin for it. I have also installed Trillian with the ishout skin, as that I tried to setup Miranda to be like iChat but I seem to not be able to figure out how to do so properly. The Trillian skin can be seen here http://www.customize.org/details/45666 I'm also trying to get a good dashboard setup going. I managed to find an older version of Yahoo widget engine, back when it was still Konfabulator that will run the widgets that I was able to find on osx-e. I've got one screenshot showing the dashboard widgets I've found so far. If anyone would be willing to take a look at that and let me know which ones I am still missing, and possibly where to get them, I'd really appreciate it. I am also curious which skin is the best to use for Firefox to get it to mimic the Mac look as close as possible. In addition to compact menu, are there any other extensions I should use? Is there a particular setup for whatever skin would be recommended to get it looking really accurate? As well I am using the RKlauncher that came with Flyakite. I'm using the Styler Toolbar found here http://www.osx-e.com/downloads/skins/tiger_styler.html I am also curious what I need to set so that the finder bar via Objectdock isn't always shown on top of application windows? I know with the Windows taskbar there is an option where you can easily change it so that it's not always shown when you have a window maximized. As a final question, what is most recommended as a program for doing authentic shadows on both the windows and the taskbar/objectbar? Are there any special settings that should be used with whatever program is recommeneded? Below are screenshots of how the PC currently looks. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/mat7h3w/screenie4.jpg http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/mat7h3w/screenie3.jpg http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/mat7h3w/screenie2.jpg http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/mat7h3w/screenie1.jpg Thanks again for anyone's assistance with this.
  8. Instant messenger frustration... I have to admit, like many, that it seems impossible to find any one instant messenger program that meets my needs. Miranda is free, open source, and can be skinned to look like nearly anything you can imagine. However it's also nearly sickening in complexity to get it setup correctly (unless you happen to have a masters degree in computer science or something). On top of that, since its not a priority for developers, there is no webcam support for Miranda. Trillian has some webcam support but since version 3.1 came out it hasn't been updated whatesoever. Trillian is supposedly being worked on for a major version update. Yet the official Trillian blog hasn't been updated in some time, and team members aren't replying to posters on the official forums about their progress. Trillian also eats almost as much Ram as XP itself does at times. Trillian also suffers from repeated problems connecting to both the AIM and Yahoo Messenger networks due to being slow to update to network changes by AOL and Yahoo. It also suffers from a rather large number of problems with file transfers, especially to/from people on Yahoo Messenger. Gaim wasn't originally a Windows product, and it shows. Many of the features, such as support for skins, webcam support, etc. that Windows users have come to require in a program, simply aren't there and likely never will be. So, to date, there is simply no multi messenger client that meets my needs. As to the official messenger clients... arrrrrrrrrg is all I can say. AIM 6.0, formerly AIM Triton, still has no native support for skins. At least AIM 5.9 and previous were possible to skin with some 3rd party plug-ins like Aimutation. Despite AOL now being free for broadband customers, AIM still cannot connect to or chat on offical AOL chat rooms. Likewise, AIM still cannot view user profiles of actual AOL users. In addition, the webcam window is tiny and there is no way to adjust its size. Yahoo messenger is skinnable, but for some reason skinning developement has slowed to almost nonexistance for it. It is now currently on version 8.1, and I haven't seen more than a small handful of skins for it since the time Yahoo Messenger 6 was out. Worse still, you can set it to "classic" mode to make use of a custom skin in use by Windows....or wait...no you can't. If you are using Windowblinds and not a visual style, then Yahoo will crash when set to classic mode. So you can make Yahoo Messenger look nice, but the instant you try to actually use it, it crashes. Sure, you can set Windowblinds to ignore Yahoo Messenger, and that solves the problem....but the end result is that Yahoo Messenger looks like complete garbage on the "classic" skin. Sure, it will have a similar color scheme to your Windowblinds skin, but that's it. So, you end up with an instant messenger that looks like it was written for Windows 95 and not XP. Both Stardock (the creators of Windowblinds) and Yahoo have known about the incompatiblity issue for months, and neither seems to care to address the issue and come up with a solution. The sad thing is, there are some older versions of Yahoo Messenger that will not crash when run in classic mode with Windowblinds. Why is that sad? Simple. Users get bombarded with restrictions on features and harrased with update messages if they do not use the absolute latest version of Yahoo Messenger. So, again you can make it look nice, but it still won't work properly. As to the functionality of Yahoo Messenger, it does offer a lot that I like, but I just can't get past how much of a complete and total eyesore that it is. Even with the few skins that were made for previous versions (that still work for Yahoo Messenger 8.x) applied, the program looks like trash when compared to the rest of your OS when using Windowblinds. So, that leaves MSN Messenger, now called Windows Live Messenger. Unless you really love the appearance of Windows Vista, which I admit I am sick of myself, it's not even worth bothering with. From what I've read on various forums, Microsoft changed the method in which skinning was implimented between MSN Messenger 7.5 and Windows Live Messenger. As result, none of the previously released MSN Messenger skins will function on it. Despite the final version of Windows Live Messenger being out for a few months, there seems little interest in developing skins for it. Is it really too much to ask? I mean really. How hard can it be? I'm no programmer but it can't be that hard. Here's all I'm looking for and asking for, and yet it seems impossible to find this in one program; 1. Support for accessing the AOL/AIM, Yahoo, and MSN networks. 2. Full webcam support with a resizable video window that won't make the image look like garbage at a larger size. 3. Full support for file transfers of any size to any person on my contact list, regardless of what network they are using. 4. Skin support that either allows the program to have beautiful looking skins designed easily for it, or simply a program that is 100% "theme aware". This meaning that both visual styles and Windowblinds can skin the app without producing crashes, instability problems, or graphical errors. 5. A consistant interface design that is not significantly changed between versions, unless a major bug is found. Thus, anyone who puts in the hard work and effort to designg a great looking skin for version 1.x won't have to completely redo the skin for it to work properly on version 2.x, 3.x, and so on.
  9. Thanks for the link. That is a pretty nice looking skin. Unfortunately it does seem to be a bit off from looking like actual iChat, even though it does have a pretty nice Mac Aqua apperance to it. The only downside to note with this theme is that it is for MSN Messenger 7 or 7.5 not Windows Live Messenger. I prefer to use Windows Live Messenger because of the added support for contacts from Yahoo that neither MSN Messenger 7 or 7.5 support. Any chance anyone might know of an iChat or iChat like skin in the works for Windows Live Messenger?
  10. Miranda is a great messenger, but it's such a headache to configure properly. For some reason, and I'm no novice when it comes to PCs, I can never seem to get it setup correctly. Either I can get ieview to work but the contact list comes out looking like garbage, or the contact list looks awesome but IE view won't work and I can't send/recieve messages. If anyone could compile together a complete, functioning, ichat directory for Miranda and zip or rar the folder and upload to rapidshare or something, that would be really appreciated.
  11. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any Mac Aqua or iChat like skins for Windows Live Messenger? If not, are there any for the previous version of MSN Messenger?
  12. Hi, I am trying to get Miranda setup correctly with an iChat skin and an iChat like ieview, but I seem to be having some problems doing so. Initially, Miranda message windows would crash when I'd try to send or recieve messages with my contacts, and now i can at least get message windows to open, but when I go to send a message nothing happens. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to be kind enough to setup Miranda for me and zip the file to put on Rapidshare or something so I could just download it and make use of it from there. If not, would anyone be willing to IM me on aim or something and talk me through what I need to do get it working properly? I'm trying to use the ichat ieview found here http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/19370238/ or something similar if that one won't work properly, and I'm trying to use the iChat skin found here http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45268642/ for the contact list. Any help on this would be appreciated. note: I also use the current version of Windowblinds, I don't know if this is a problem or not for Miranda, as that I'm new to using it.
  13. Link is no longer valid, could you reupload this? Like the previous poster, I have trouble getting Miranda configured correctly and I'd really like to use it with this skin.
  14. Hi everyone. I was wondering if it is possible to integrate FlyakiteOSX 3.5 into the source of a Windows XP installation CD? Can this be done via using nLite or something similar? Is something else needed to do this, if it's even possible?
  15. Is there anywhere 1.2 can still be found? 1.3 is cool, but I prefer the slightly more XP looking start menu in 1.2. If no one has it or can share it, any idea if 1.4(when/if it comes out) will contain more varieties of the start menu? 1.3 seems to only have glass or not glass w/ 32 pix or 48 pix, but no variation for the start menu.