Y'z dock annoyance!

RJMacReady

Is it possible to make an icon open the running program, not open a new copy?

For example: You click Photoshop, it opens the prog and you minimize it. You then want to go back to it so you click the icon and it maximizes the window, instead of opening a new Photoshop program.

Basically, can Y'z emulate the MacOSX dock properly?

photoshop can not run with more then one instance, meaning you can only have one photoshop.exe runnin. try launching photoshop from explorer and you'll see. allot of apps are like that. so if you are gonna test that feature don't use photoshop. I just tested Y'zdock by adding another application (tcp optimizer.exe) and it ran two instances just fine. so i'm pretty sure y'zdock is made to run applications in as many instances as you want as long as the application it self is allowing it. i think u just picked the wrong app (photoshop) to test that feature with.

rofl i totaly missread your post, was prolly still wakeing up when i read it. basicly what im saying is photoshop will not run twice with any dock outhere. and yeah objectdock has an option to either run a new instance of any app (unless the app is locked to one only) or just to maximize the current running instance of the app.

Is it illegal to use yzdock? I've read statements here and there saying yes or no, but no definite answer. Can someone let me know before I install it? Or should I just use either Object Dock or MobyDock? If Object Dock, does anyone know how to change the theme icons to what you want, using your system icons, instead of it's own LaST icons? Or point me in the right direction?

Thank you. I tried using YzDock but ran into issues with trying to change icons or add Docklets. Since it's not being worked on anymore, I'm going to assume the best dock would be Object Dock, even though it seems like YzDock looks smoother than Object Dock. Now, I've never used a Mac, so I wouldn't know which one emulates it more. I do like the fact that Object Dock gives a list of what's running on the left side of your Trash Can, as well as allows full use of your trash can, but then again, is that how it truly works on a Mac? I've heard nothing but praise for the YzDock, which is why I'm contimplating on using it. But then again, I've heard the word illegal used in conjunction with it too.

Thank you. I tried using YzDock but ran into issues with trying to change icons or add Docklets. Since it's not being worked on anymore, I'm going to assume the best dock would be Object Dock, even though it seems like YzDock looks smoother than Object Dock. Now, I've never used a Mac, so I wouldn't know which one emulates it more. I do like the fact that Object Dock gives a list of what's running on the left side of your Trash Can, as well as allows full use of your trash can, but then again, is that how it truly works on a Mac? I've heard nothing but praise for the YzDock, which is why I'm contimplating on using it. But then again, I've heard the word illegal used in conjunction with it too.

1. problems changing icons? stop using stylexp and use the uxtheme hack. also, read this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=y'z+dock+crash

2. objectdock and mobydock are the remaining choices. raduking is working his dock here.

3. i don't know if that's how it works on a mac. i don't use them.

4. yup, y'z dock is nice. :)

5. illegal to distribute, as mentioned.

1. problems changing icons? stop using stylexp and use the uxtheme hack. also, read this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=y'z+dock+crash

2. objectdock and mobydock are the remaining choices. raduking is working his dock here.

3. i don't know if that's how it works on a mac. i don't use them.

4. yup, y'z dock is nice. :)

5. illegal to distribute, as mentioned.

Thanks dreamz. Well, I'm not using StyleXP anymore, nor do I use WindowBlinds because it keeps messing up the appearance of FlyakiteSP2, which is what I'm currently using. I don't have the uxtheme hack installed because I'm waiting on the link for Flyakite's version that will be supplied with his FlyakiteSP2 in the future, or at least that's what I got from the thread. Each time I try to use the supplied link, it tells me it isn't there. Anyway, so if I install the uxtheme hack, I shouldn't have any more problems?

well, you should use the uxtheme hack if you're planning on using visual styles.

here are some solutions quoted from that link:

So does mine. I don't think it has to do with the icons being the wrong folder.

I have uninstalled StyleXP and used the uxtheme.dll patcher but Y'z dock still crashes when I try to change an icon. Even when I click the middle button on my mouse to open a folder as a menu it crashes.

I have found out one way. You need to edit the listitem.ini file for every icon you wish to change. Just rename the icon in the listitem.ini file and replace the 1 with 0 (zero) for the long number. Anyone know what this number does?

It works fine on my other computer and it has StyeXP installed. Go figure.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've found a solution that solved the y'z dock crashing problem when changing a dock icon.

I did a google search and found a utility called CandyXP that allows you to customize your icons. In the changelog it said 'fixed bug that caused yzdock to crash.'

I discovered after doing research that the yzdock crash issue has something to do with StyleXP taking over managing your icons.

I've uninstalled StyleXP and now am using the Neowin Multi-patcher. I rebooted, downloaded and ran CandyXP. I clicked the restore default icon button, then apply icon settings button, and now, miraculously, yzdock works just fine.

The only issue now is that when I middle-click on my F:/ drive, it still crashes. Middle clicking on my F:/Music or F:/Web Page folders works fine. This issue might be unrelated to the styleXP bug though; I'm not sure.

FusionGuy - I had the same problem! and when I changed the file itemlist.ini = 1 =>0 and renamed the name of the icon in it - Works perfectly.

well, if i may put my 2 cents in...

i have been using stylexp without any issues with y'z dock. i did run into the icon issue once thou. so i decided to test it. if i am right, some icon packs used with stylexp is what is causing the issue. or a icon pack from a different program. i use stylexp to change my icons. and when i found a icon pack that i liked, i installed it and then wanted to use some of them on my dock. this is when the issue came about. so after about 10 minutes of going back and forth with this. i changed the icons to something else i've used before. issue was resolved. i have found a cpl icon packs that i want to use cause the problem. so it is just trial and error on finding the icon pack that works.

now this worked for me, but may not work for anyone else. it happens. i'm using xp pro sp2, with a newer version of stylexp. hope this does help anyone else thou. have a great holiday!

Well, I've tried using Neowin's Multi-UXTheme Patcher with only FlyakiteSP2 v1.0 installed and I'm still having the same problem of it crashing whenever I try to change an icon. I've tried changing the first number "1" to "0" in the itemlist.ini as well as changed the icon name within that file, and it's still crashing. Now I do have a question. Are supposed to be able to change icons for docklets? Is that why it's crashing on me? I'm trying to install the RecycleBin Docklet but I don't like the trash_empty.ico and trash_full.ico, and each time I try to change it to the default Mac trash_empty.png and trash_full.png, it keeps crashing. Also, can someone point me in the right direction on how to get other docklets for yzdock to work? I'm trying to use the SysStats one and it won't see it. I know I'm new at this, but I'm pretty sure I can follow simple directions. I'll continue to do a search on all of this, but any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Okay. I've figured out how to make the SysStats work. Now if I can get the darn icon changed for the trash bin, I'll have a fully functional trash bin. I dragged and dropped my trash icon from my desk to yzdock and it functions as a trash can, but it doesn't change it's appearance. Hence, the desire to use the RecycleBin docklet.