[help] Icon quality problem

Did anyone else notice that when you drag a shortcut to the dock, the icons look okay until you scroll over them and they magnify? The blocky look isn't pleasing, especially next to the high quality icons provided with the dock. Is there a way (a place?) to get high quality dock icons for random programs like firefox, MPC and AIM?

you can convert the icons you are currently using to png and that problem will be resolved

you should use pngs

I'm trying to do that with AveIconifier2 but I can't seem to find a .ico file in my AIM folder for example. And if I drag the .exe it says 1 PNG created yet both windows remain blank so nothing can be dragged out..

yea i guess you should extract the icon from aim.exe with reshacker

convert ico to png and you should be good to go

the only problem is that the icon might not have larger sizes than 32x32 so it might appear blocky if the zoom on your dock goes higher...

anyways most people dont prefer default icons (atleast on windows) so you can grab one of the many replacement icons from this site and others

btw what was the thread title earlier..just curious :P

"random dock icons", it's still written on top of some posts :)

@aQuestion:

icons in executable files are usually small. It's unlikely to find them bigger than 48x48. There is no way to scale them and make them bigger without blurry and blocky results. There is no difference between letting the launcher get an icon from the executable and extracting/converting it to png. You have to find another, bigger, icon for your program. deviantart has a huge collection, I'm sure you'll find what you need :)

put them in your "icons" folder. Now when you create a dock item, right click on it to bring up it's properties. In the properties dialog you can change the icon used for the dock item. Select your PNG file you saved in the icons directory...you're done.

The icon quality problem comes from the fact that i use IExtractIcon COM interface to get the right icon

with that interface you can only extracts icons the size your explorer (shell) has set as default usually 48x48...

I could do a thing for exe files to directly get the icon via it's resources... I have to check...

• 1 month later...