FindeXer

@blaze & @chermany4ever - It should be pretty easy to test. Just unregister FindeXer. Once the DLL is unregistered, it will have no effect on your system. After you unregister FindeXer, reboot your sytsem and put it through the paces (i.e., go through the same sequence of events and timeframe wherein you witnessed the slowdown). If you experience the same slowdown, it will not be related to FindeXer. This will help narrow down the possibilities for the slowdown.

You can always register FindeXer again, once you're through testing.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I assume that it's FindeXer because it didn't happened before I became a FindeXer user.

And I don't use any other program that modifies explorer in any way.

No styler, no y'z toolbar... none.

I must say that this happens after an hour or two of navigating. Not every 20 minutes (that would be really annoying). :P

And it doesn't slow down navigating that much.

I spoke that way just to illustrate the feeling of explorer getting heavier, like if it was carrying a load that grows as the time runs.

Sometimes I must wait more than the usual to go from here to there.

I don't know why... I think it could be explorer making cache or something like that.

Like when you use back and forward buttons and folders are there to have it at hand. Or something like that. I can't think of anything else. :confused:

Hi all, first of all thank you Alianyn for Findexer which is exactly the app I was looking for. I would like, however, to draw your attention to a little problem concerning the way findexer called in explorer.

I have your latest build set so that it shows whenever I start explorer. If I click on treeview or select it in the menu -> view -> explorer band -> folders and then try to return to findexer in the same menu, it is gone. I then have to close and open explorer again.

Any suggestions ?

can you snip the iPod entry of your items.xml file and post it here ? - or a screenshot of the "Edit [iPod]" dialog ?

edit:

@alianyn - I'm having some ideas for a different removable media awareness - should I write them here ? :P

here is the entry from the items.xml file for my iPod, once i eject the ipod this entry goes poof, even after i save...

ShortCutSONICE:

here is the entry from the items.xml file for my iPod, once i eject the ipod this entry goes poof, even after i save...

ShortCutSONICE:

for the moment, if FindeXer finds an entry to an invalid location (such as E: when the ipod is not there) it will delete it. Removable media awareness will come, don't worry :)

@chatpristi - have no idea why that happens to you, there's no programmatic reason for it, i assume something you have installed keeps FindeXer from showing up since when you click on something it shows again - you must find what it is (some people have had similar problems with versions of FinderBar and other sorts of apps still installed).

@BooGhost (and everyone who supported) - i could add that to the options, i'll try and add it in the next version.

@Soniku - like dreadnaut said

for the moment, if FindeXer finds an entry to an invalid location (such as E: when the ipod is not there) it will delete it. Removable media awareness will come, don't worry :)

@All - All updates are postponed until september (probably) - our landlord has decided not to renew our renting contract and we have decided to by an appartment - so i'm mainly dealing with packing and apppartment/(cheap) movers hunting. I might release another nightly in between though (if i see i can not make ANY progress until september) as a lot of progress has already been made with tooltipping and dynamically aware pidls.

bare with me ;)

I have a feature request for you when you get arounf to it and if you will/can implement it. Center click on icons open a new window. That would be extemely usefull for me. Thanks alianyn and good luck with the new apt. :)

But make it so that in the FindeXer settings this can be turned off or on, since for me the main purpose of this lil app is to just have one explorer window opened

@Innova

If you make your own shortcut, or use another shortcut with the /e switch, it will open in folder view. That's what the /e switch specifies.

For example, if you create a shortcut with the following target,

%SystemRoot%explorer.exe /e, c:

it will open explorer with a folder view of your root drive (i.e., if your root drive is c:).

IF, however, you create the shortcut without the /e switch,

%SystemRoot%explorer.exe c:

It will open explorer in the root drive and FindeXer will be used as the default view.

@MickyS : You're my Life-Saver, man~ :P

@alianyn : Much thanks for this nice apps :D

@vishesh_l and @ntchemist938 : I'm not promising anything, but i will consider adding that as an option in one of the next nightlies - i'm pretty concerned about it causing more problems then good...

@smoovie (and everyone else who requested) - it is a bit more problematic, since from my experience, using the interface that does that generates different results on different machines, i will research it and if it possible to do safely, i'll implement it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is pretty great. A couple of things I'd like to see:

a) Sublabels like in avedesk for mounted drives, when they're added.

b)At the moment, I think the right click menu could use some work. I say the default right click menu should show up when a shortcut in the bar is right clicked, with "edit" and "remove findeXer item" at the bottom. Then when you right click on a blank space on the bar there would be options like adding a separator, bringing up the preferences window, and closing the bar.

c)Having custom empty and full icons for the recycle bin.

alianyn, I've got ideas for implementing a column view & changing the trash icon, they might be valid but I really don't know because I don't have a clue about coding Explorer bars.

1) Column view

You could have the Findexer bar, divided into

a) the current Findexer with icons/text

B) a column

-when one clicks on a Findexer item, the corresponding folder is recursed for folders/files which are then listed in the column.

2)Trash Icon

Research into how Internet Explorer knows when to make Favourites enabled = false (greyed out); if you found this out, then you may be able to implement the same sort of procedure so when there's items in the Rec. Bin, the icon would change.

I don't think these are completely clearly written but maybe you'll understand & they'll hopefully help.

-pini.

Hey alianyn,

first of all thanks for that great little tool!

Unfortunately, I just can´t get it loaded in explorer from default.

I tried everything, including the different advises mentioned in the faq. (Browser settings, etc.)

The only thing that "worked" was to hack the registry the way you described it iearlier in this threat

(creating another explore.reg...you know)

I mean, findexer loaded on default, but everything explorer-related took ours to load if it loaded at all. Short, it totally messed up my system.

Fortunately, I made a backup before and so it was not too bad after all.

But I have no clue how to make findexer load on default now.

I use the latest nightly (#3)

My System is a HP Pavilion Notebook (ZV6214 EA)

running windows xp sp2

AMD Sempron 3200+, 1.25 Gb ram

Flyakite OSX 3.5

windowblinds 4.6

Earlier I used to use Kabal´s finder, and its registry-patch worked flawless, but its title-bar is so...nuh!

So I´d really love to use findexer, but there´s no sense in switching to findexer manually each time I open explorer...

If you need more specific information concerning my system, let me know!

I hope you can help me getting your nice little prog work...

I´d really appreciate

thanks so far

martin