Winexpos�

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to recap, there are currently two serious bugs stopping us (that's me and people i manage) using winexpose

1) occasional hanging on activation. happens for all users on all pcs (not sure if this is a regression/when this started). probably related to a particular app we use; without more log info can't tell sorry.

2) always shows an Access Violation on switching users (this is a recent regression)

really hoping these can be fixed so i can enable winexpose again - i believe it's an "essential app" ;)

i'll second the access violation bug. happens when switching users and after I exit a game I was playing. seems like something to do with directx...

no problems here on hangs upon activation. transition is smooth and fast. much more stable than the previous releases.

bugs are nothing major. the app works like a charm. its great to see its continuously being updated and improved.

so keep up the good work.

i think in the next version of flyakite... they will be stupid not wanting to include winexpose!!!!

another note to people who love the expose apps. there is a plugin for firefox that will expose all your tabs. its called foXpose. its a great little plugin that works on firefox 1.5 and above. also supports hotkey!!

//Posts Merged. Please don't double post ;). -NC

About the access violation bugs and such, I'll try to do my best to solve them... Indeed the new version (2006-11-15) has some additional work around on these.

Also fixed the minimized window transparency bugs. The only thing left to do is transparency transitions when selecting/deselecting. Anyway I would like to add support for displaying window titles first.

Ah, exceptions list is now stored into the registry, no more .ini file needed (indeed the new version doesn't include one). If you had custom settings on it, you'll have to open the "exceptions.ini" file, and add them manually to the exceptions list on new version (sorry about that).

Lots of language support (well, it's lots to me, hahaha): deutsch, español, français, italiano, thanks to everyone who published language files. Hope to find more language files soon! ;-)

I've noticed version 2006-11-10-b tends to hang up the machine sometimes, even while not exposeing, and indeed it shows 50% cpu usage in Task Manager. This doesn't happen at first, but after some time running... I'll make some tests later... Also it completely hungs up the PC I use at work, it does so since my boss replaced the motherboard with one from one client (the client's one was not working properly) (so now I've to work with a not-working-properly-motherboard... I hate my job!). Anyway I think such failure is more a conflict between video board and mother board, than a conflict with WinExposé, but I can't know yet...

@francesco:

I replaced "Matías Moreno" by "Francesco Marella" in the LanguageFileInfoAuthor value on Italiano (it's meant to be the language file's author, I forgot to put a comment about that, sorry).

@sastopeit, francesco, cédric:

Thanks for the german, italian and french translations! All of them have been included in version 2006-11-15.

@xenonii:

What about displaying the existing desktop image on the background when winexpose-ing?

Indeed it tries to display the existing desktop image, but it fails to do so on some computers... Can you send me an export of registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop"? Anyway I'll try some alternative methods as the one I'm using doesn't seem to work on some computers. Which is your Windows version? (2000, XP, Vista, etc...)

Hi matonga,

May I ask why you moved from storing the exceptions list in an ini file to the registry? If it contributes to an improvement of design or performance I understand but I personally liked that there was yet to be an installer and I didn't have to worry about keeping my registry clean throughout multiple versions and testing if I ran WinExpose from different locations.

Could you at this point explain in what fashion winexpose adds files or makes changes to one's system? And maybe how to remove traces of the program to keep the system clean between versions?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the new version :)

New version (yes, two versions in one day) (2006-11-15-B):

- Now you don't need to restart WinExposé when switching between engines, just select another engine, and the previous engine is cleanly shutdown and the new one is loaded.

- Solved some additional bugs with access violation errors (my God, I have lots of them, I mean, potential errors when reviewing my own code).

- The wallpaper is now obtained using SPI_GETDESKWALLPAPER (I had an outdated Windows SDK, didn't know there was such parameter for SystemParametersInfo( ) ). I hope I'll get the wallpaper disposition (tile, mosaic or stretch) from some API instead of directly from the registry. Anyway this should solve the problem with some people not having the wallpaper shown while exposeing.

- And some minor bugfixes I don't remember now.

- Now WinExposé is not shown in Task Manager.

Now it seems I can show the settings dialog while exposeing, without WinExposé hunging up. But just in case this release still won't allow you to open the settings dialog while exposeing, or exposeing while the settings dialog is open.

@firecracker6:

I've noticed that on some machines with badly configured rights administration, unpriviledged users (limited accounts) are unable to update the exceptions.ini file when the program is installed by an administrator into the program files folder.

These are the registry keys used by WinExposé:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWinExpose

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareWinExpose

Actually there are other keys read by WinExposé, but they are in order to detect the way the wallpaper must be drawn (tiled, stretched, mosaic, ...). I'm looking for changing those into API calls, which would make WinExposé less dependant on the Windows version.

I've no intention to put registry keys/values in any other place, unless I have a very good reason to do that. If there is any registry key that is not used anymore by some version, I'll post it here in this forum (and maybe I'll add a updates.txt file with such details...).

I hope I didn't get you wrong.

Regards,

Matias

Thanks Matonga for the quick answer and even quicker update to your app!

Just so I understand correctly, by removing these registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWinExpose

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareWinExpose

and deleting the WinExpose folder (and it's contents,) you have completely removed WinExpose from your system. Is this correct?

I'm off to try out our your new version :)

Regards,

fc

OK, I'm using RK Launcher with WinExposé and have no problems (I had problems before getting to this version) (I forgot where is the other post, from someone else, with this same problem). I'm able to show up RK Launcher while exposeing, and it looks rather strange =:-).

@firecracker6:

Yes, by removing those keys and deleting the folder where WinExposé is installed, you have WinExposé completely uninstalled. What do you think if I include an uninstall.exe app to remove WinExposé?

Oh, I forgot!::

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunWinExpose is created if you select "Load at Windows startup" option (and deleted when you uncheck the option).

I'm gone until Saturday (I have to travel).

Regards,

Matias

If I understand you correct: the uninstaller.exe app would simply remove the registry entries and any other modifications future versions of winexpose may evolve to require? That would be nice if it would include a 'details' view, you know, it would list what was being performed. I think that would give users a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Now that you've clarified the removal process to me, I feel confident running the different releases, but maybe for those who do not read this thread, it would be lend credibility to your app (not that it needs it, you app rocks thusfar!) But it would show folks you promote the 'leave no trace,' 'user is in control' philosophy.

Have fun traveling and safe journeys :)

for some reason, this version seems less "seamless" for lack of a better word. more specifically, it seems like the initial expose activation is a tad bit slower? possibly?

Yes, I noticed this in all versions since the 10/24 release. Whereas the smoothness of motion is just about perfect in the 10/24 version, it seems more "jaggedy" and artificial in all releases after 10/24. I'm not sure why this might happen, possibly a different rendering path was used?

Excellent excellent excellent amazing beautifully done program.

I do have some problems, however: making my Hotkey be one of the options in the second drop down menu. I have to put Alt + or Control + something, but what if I just want it to be F12? I tried selecting the white space but no luck.

Also WinExpose crashes and resets color depth to 14 bit when I try to enable my TV as primary monitor using nVidia's control panel.

I have one feature request, and one question/bug

first of i was wondering if the Left Click to Close window property while exposeing could be included in your program

and second when setting activation keys i set it to blank followed by left windows key but that didn't work so i tried blank and right windows key and even that didn't work. it might be because i have a laptop with only one windows key so i was wondering i should go about setting it to activate your program

Thanks for the great program its quite nice and works better than a lot of the pay to use apps out there

New version released (2006-11-25). No bugfixes yet (sorry!).

- Shows window title (optional) when putting mouse over it.

- Lot's of changes in software engine. It's much slower too, but I hope to add MMX acceleration again (changed all blending algorithms, for better support on DirectX engine, but screwed up with software engine...).

Sorry by the delay, I'm having lots of exams.

Matías

@rammass18:

i can't run need for speed or any full screen game without getting some error messages. in other words i can't play my games and run this app at the same time. what's the problem?
I was able to reproduce the error (with NFSU 2). Didn't try with other games. I'll fix this soon.

@Globox:

Also WinExpose crashes and resets color depth to 14 bit when I try to enable my TV as primary monitor using nVidia's control panel.
WinExposé doesn't carry on well with multimonitor setups (I don't know if you're trying multimonitor or just the TV alone as the only "monitor"). I'll try this on my nVidia.

@xodus:

when setting activation keys i set it to blank followed by left windows key but that didn't work so i tried blank and right windows key and even that didn't work.
It's my fault, I'm using a non-invasive technique (just to give it a name). I'll try with a keyboard hook to solve this problem.

@itandreas und sastopeit:

Ich spreche wenig (?) Deutsch. I'll try downloading some german software and german windows screenshots, to try to get an idea (and I didn't understand your posts, of course, hahaha)...

This project is certainly coming along well!

Couple fairly minor bugs:

Crashes on running full-screen games or programs (not maximized)

Crashes when options are loaded during an expose (was fixed before, minor bug)

LimeWire is shown as simply a black box during expose

Also, perhaps it should limit the length for a page title with a "..." (some news sites have titles longer than my whole screen).

I noticed there is a change font button, but it is not activated, so I assume this will an included feature in future releases. Hopefully it'll allow changing of the border as well (the current one seems too light, it needs a good dark black).

There's another thing I've hoped for since the birth of this app. On macs, the expose is often set for the middle-click for a hotkey, yet this is too important a key to give up for PC users. However, it would still help keep the app in parallel if the mouse were used as the hotkey.

*How about a hot-key set for a simultaneous left and right mouse click?

Keep up the great work on an excellent program