Vista Crash Rate

164 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • ...Vista?¿? .... OS X !!!!

I see your point however one can only apply so much pressure.

Lazy bastards or careless corporations aren't going to go out of their way for anyone.

I guess Microsoft could have chosen not to provide any nVidia support at all, but than how many people would have been pissed because of that?

It's a catch 22. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have an issue with Vista and my old video card that would lock my computer up everytime I'd play WoW after a few minutes, but once I got a newer, better, more Vista capable video card everything was OK again.

Other than that I haven't run into 1 crash. I blame that one on NVidia for saying their card was "Certified Vista Ready" and then dropping all support for it -_-.

@ iGo: haha it doesn't matter what is said you are still going to try and blame MS, right? so you must be a mac lover lmao!!!!
Funny you should say that... it shows that some people like you will not read the full posts and make opinionated comments about others. Cause if you'd read my posts properly, I'm not just throwing things like Vista is stupid and OS X is better and MS sucks and apple is best. I'm being rational about both MS and Apple.

If you think I was blind apple lover, I wouldn't have even mentioned how many times my mac mini was crashed. Hell, I would have rather lied that it was never ever crashed... cause that's what fanboys do to prove their point at any cost.

If I was apple blind apple lover, I would have went all frenzy over new macbook updates came yesterday (http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=43420#4), but if you my post there..... I don't think fanboys will write something like that.

So, a pretty please..... unless you have solid argument or point of view (like asty or rjhonstone) over the discussion we were having... don't make half-ass opinions about people.

..I started this thread because I was blown away by how I haven't had a single crash.. But I have to change my vote.. Vista crashed on me today. I'm not fully certain if it was me or the OS but I was running; Windows Movie Maker, PhotoShopCS2, Microsoft Office Outlook, Office OneNote, Messenger, IE7 with 6 tabs and I was Unzipping a 50mb file . :(

I am using Home Premium , havent crashed on me even once. Other than the fact that IE7 crashed once ONLY! when i was visiting some croocked site ..

I think its a very good OS. but i dunno why some ppl say that vista SUCKSSS!!!!

..I started this thread because I was blown away by how I haven't had a single crash.. But I have to change my vote.. Vista crashed on me today. I'm not fully certain if it was me or the OS but I was running; Windows Movie Maker, PhotoShopCS2, Microsoft Office Outlook, Office OneNote, Messenger, IE7 with 6 tabs and I was Unzipping a 50mb file . :(

DUH!!!.. if your specs cant handle all together then what will the poor vista do in this case... I think you take to pc to its limits!...hehehe

whats your pc's specs!??

ok then surely dont get paniced... coz with a 3.2 gs of speed and 1.5 gs of ram .. and running huge resources like that ... it will get hanged up... so next time if you wanna use these many softwares @ once then keep in mind that you will have to let vista crash !

My sugessions:

Upgrade your pc:

Atleast your ram to 2-2.5 G ram

If you have not done the following then please do:

Set the scratch disk of PS CS2 to your most empty drive of your HD.

regards

Yusuf

It wasn't the ram, he has more than enough. I've ran PC's here with a gig of ram easy, hell my Enterprise box has been running for 6 weeks solid with no crashing and that has 1 GB of ram.

I'm thinking CS2 might have been the issue. Also are you using Office 07? If you are using 03 then that as well could have caused a crash. I would suggest upgrading Photoshop to CS3 and if your running Office 03 I would go to 07. :)

yeah 1.5gb of ram is more than enough especially considering that windows makes another 1GB or "virtual" ram. but it crashed on coldwerturkey cause actually it wont handle that many things at once lol ;) in fact thats an extreme load to run 7 things @ once, you should do these thing seperatley unless u do have 2-3gb ram

@painkilleryusuf:

Of all those programs open... I don't think his system will be taxed that much UNLESS,

Windows Movie maker was encoding a movie,

Photoshop CS2 had couple of huge A3 size, 300 DPI files opened with applying some bigass filter on it,

Outlook inbox has some 1000+ emails in it's inbox while downloading new mails,

Messenger had 10+ chat windows opened with more than one showing webcam feeds,

IE7 displaying some funky Flash Site in one tab, streaming quicktime or WMV movie in other, displaying a mile long page with loads of images

and the 50MB file he was extracting was 1000s of text file (they are highly compressed).....

Now that, my friend will be somewhere closer to taking the system to limits... If the scenario wasn't anything like above and those apps were just sitting idle, just open but doing nothing then it's far far away from limts. Trust me Asty is right.. it's not a RAM issue.

@Oliuss: I'm running ACDSee 3.1, Photoshop CS2, Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8, 3Ds max 7 with iTunes streaming music from my laptop and firefox open with many tabs... and these programs are not just open, I'm actually working on all of them. Sometimes this party gets hot with illustrator CS2 or CorelDraw joining in while DC++ downloading files in GBs in background. And when I feel like suicidal I fire up Adobe Premiere without closing other programs.

in fact thats an extreme load to run 7 things @ once, you should do these thing seperatley unless u do have 2-3gb ram

I'm runnning 1GB 533MHz DDR2 ram on Pentium D 3.0 Ghz... what say? :D

I knew it wasnt them ram.

I was editing a 1gig movie. (it was playing)

The tabs were just forum pages,

Office Outlook has near to nothing,

OneNote had no images or movie

Messenger has been crashing alot (internet problems)

IE has been crashing alot (internet problems...)

CS had about 12 walls open.

It was as if my cpu went crossed eyed and confused itself (Just like in Austin Powers;))

vista has never crashed on me, though I don't use it much, I spend most of my time on OSX or Windows XP (still...) working with VS 2005... Microsoft should really improve VS2005's compatibility with Vista.. It still isn't as stable as it should be, even with VS 2005 SP1 installed :mad:

• 1 month later...
Neither XP or Vista have ever crashed on me. And I doubt this is luck, this is more than likely the norm.

Now that you mention it, I don't think my XP has crashed either... Ever... Some programs have stopped on occasion and my original hard drive died (thank god for external backup drives), but no bsod.

My Mac crashed twice not too long after I got it, but after tweaking some settings, it's been stable since then.

Vista has yet to crash.

Ubuntu has crashed. Gogo me seeing how much Beryl can take before the crashes.

Slackware has never crashed.

Windows Mobile crashed twice playing flash games.

My Verizon phone default OS crashed after playing the same Tetris game (without dying) for 4 hours nonstop.

Now that you mention it, I don't think my XP has crashed either... Ever... Some programs have stopped on occasion and my original hard drive died (thank god for external backup drives), but no bsod.

My Mac crashed twice not too long after I got it, but after tweaking some settings, it's been stable since then.

Vista has yet to crash.

Ubuntu has crashed. Gogo me seeing how much Beryl can take before the crashes.

Slackware has never crashed.

Windows Mobile crashed twice playing flash games.

My Verizon phone default OS crashed after playing the same Tetris game (without dying) for 4 hours nonstop.

My iMac also kernel paniced once or twice within the first week of my purchasing it. Of course, the fact I was trying to both run and configure some 10-12 apps at once was likely the reason! But now that everything is set up to my liking, I usually just run a lot of programs in the background and rarely have to configure them, so everything now runs nice and stable.