Mirror effect for docks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*coughbump*

More people need to see this, and I bring delicious chocolate.

I mean information.

Under DWM-Vista, not only does this get transparent windows, and... well, everything, it's also lighting fast. I turned the DWM off and full speeds lagged by an awful lot, wheras they were smooth under the DWM. That's pretty neat.

http://reverse84.deviantart.com/art/OS-X-L...83566?offset=30

http://whiteraven92.deviantart.com/art/OS-...etdock-75956637

I don;t think these are exact ports, but they look very similar, so hopefully they'll work <_<

(Any luck on the do-not-reflect list?)

Ok, let's see:

Added support on MaskTool to use Object Dock skins (in addition to Rocket Dock skins, both are now supported). I don't have Object Dock so I can't test it, but I hope it works.

Based on what you tell, I have sadly realised this, and I'll make a statement on first post of this thread:

Matonga's MirrorEffect is not compatible with Windows Vista with Aero enabled.

I'll try to see if I can work around that, to make it work as pretended.

What you describe looks more like the software posted in Mirror Demo in the Comunity Applications section. Please keep an eye on that software.

Matonga's MirrorEffect is not compatible with Windows Vista with Aero enabled.

Erm, I don't understand why you've written that. It is compatible. I have Vista Ultimate with Aero enabled. All windows are mirror correctly and everything is working

Erm, I don't understand why you've written that. It is compatible. I have Vista Ultimate with Aero enabled. All windows are mirror correctly and everything is working

Ok, this is getting really confusing to me. :)

Now I need someone with technical knowledge to answer this question:

Does Windows Vista with Aero enabled, blit only non-layered windows, when doing a BitBlt from screen without using the CAPTUREBLT flags?

Code looks like this:

' Get access to the desktop window

desktop_window = GetDesktopWindow

' Get desktop's Device Context

desktop_dc = GetWindowDC (desktop_window)

' Blit a portion of the desktop to an offscreen bitmap

BitBlt (memory_dc, ..., desktop_dc, ..., SRCCOPY)

' Release desktop's Device Context

ReleaseDC (desktop_window, desktop_dc)

So, as it can be seen, I use SRCCOPY flag but no CAPTUREBLT flag, so overlayd windows are not blitted. This is per Windows XP documentation, but I know nothing about Windows Vista, so I don't know if Windows Vista + Aero will or will not blit overlayd windows.

From Phoshi screenshots it seems Aero blits the overlayd windows even without the CAPTUREBLT flag, so it defeats the purpose of my program.

So I need confirmation from other Vista + Aero users.

PS: is it possible to install Vista and XP on separate partitions? How much is the minimum disk space required for Vista + Aero + .NET 2.0? I want to have a testbed to answer these questions myself.

So I need confirmation from other Vista + Aero users.

PS: is it possible to install Vista and XP on separate partitions? How much is the minimum disk space required for Vista + Aero + .NET 2.0? I want to have a testbed to answer these questions myself.

I tried the mirror effect with all the programs I have on my computer, even the layered ones. There are reflections for all windows (even videos are reflected).

Vista and XP on seperate partitions? Yes it is possible. About 5GB should be enough for a standard Vista installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Works beautifully... when Windowblinds is off. This is rather important to me, as is the mirror effect! I need them together. I beg you to fix that.

As well, the zooming could probably be fixed by some mathishness if you ask the user to input how many icons are zoomed and to what pixel height, it would at least let you calculate an approximation.

Perhaps if you made an accompanying docklet you could ask the dock for some info as to it's width? I'm unsure about this one.

I know not everyone likes to do this, but if you open-source it this will thrive quite a bit, as it is an in-demand effect since it has been in Leopard. If you ever leave the project for good please remember to do this!

Thanks for making this, I wanted my dock to do it beyond anything - now if it only worked with my other things :(

Edit:

I have a correction on the others' description of the windowblinds incompatibility issue. The dock doesn't show the window until you stop having the mouse held down to move it, yes - however, it also doesn't show the window controls and border, etc., just the contents. Everything handled by windowblinds is absent in the reflection.

geez matonga! you'e did it again! a really nice app witch reflect the windows perfectly!

the icons are not reflected in rklauncher on xp... not tested in vista yet

does it suppose te reflect the icons too? i've missed that in the description...

gratz on this app! (i can make an icon btw! ok?)

greetz, fyton5

• 2 weeks later...