Mcbar

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by NilColor@Apr 21 2004, 02:15 PM

It's much betterĀ  :naughty:

but now McBar "resizes" dropdowm menu tooo oftenĀ  :blink:

When a text editor was active and file menu (from McBar) was dropdown and I click a desktop... It's looks like McBar delete item from expanded menu and after that redraws it... delete-redraw...Ā  :canadian:

PS

Thank you for taskswitchingĀ  :naughty: look familiarĀ  :DĀ  :DĀ  :D

About Resizing: This is because I tried a new window style flag declared in Win2k/XP, which doesn't activate window (well, in most cases). Note that when you call a popup in McBar, your active app's window remains active. That's much closer to Mac OS menu behaviour, but ... Windows is not Mac OS :D )

About TaskSwitching: Thank you NilColor for link to the Taskmodule, it gave me a sight of what you wish. But I've made TS all by my hand, without using Taskmodule source. That's because C++ and Delphi (with VCL used) stand too far from one another in ideology aspect. Also, Taskmodule uses Win2k specific undocumented API function for switching windows, which I worked around with my own multi-OS (9x/NT) compatible code. Anyway, many thanks for asking and helping.

McBar looks awesome using OBFont instead of Lucida!

Spotted a bug.. when you close a window, the menu stays on McBar until you click another window.

Also, the menus that come down from the bar should move up probably 4 or 5 pixels, so they touch the bottom of the bar instead of floating just below it.

Great work!

Hmm...

How long until you get Mcbar to adapt to explorer menus?

I thought, I shouldn't make any workarounds for apps that have the menu on toolbar. There is no common way to determine, which toolbar exactly contains the menu. And I'd like to have mcbar.exe size less than 300kb. And I HATE :rant: Explorer. This is not a file manager.

Hence, McBar itself won't ever be capable to read menus those are not created by SetMenu.

That was the bad news. And the good news is that you probably WILL see your desired menus of Explorer and Co. I'm working on the plugin system for McBar (so, there may appear also a kind of traylet, just maybe :rolleyes:). If it will be ever done and I will be satisfied with it, one of the standard plugins, shipped along with McBar v.1.0.final will be the barlet which gives you capability to set app menus simply in text files, so you could even set your own menu for desktop or some Control Panel applet or whatever you wish. :smartass:

Now count to ten, breath deep and slowly and read further.

First thing I want to do is to polish the GUI and setup/skinning system of McBar, until that I will never come to developing the plugin system. I want to have my plugins well thought-out, easy for programming almost in any language for Win32 (like in WinAMP plugin system). I (me myself alone) cannot create a good system being frequently excursed on problems of skins and resizing popups. Understand?

So please test the latest versions and report bugs here - that will help me. I have only one PC, which is 2 years old and is not so fast and efficient. It runs only WinXP without service packs or what. I cannot create enough environment diversity for experiments. You, the army of testers, could help me well.

So, are you saying McBar itself won't be capable of displaying menus like Explorer, Mozilla, iTunes, etc. but eventually there will be plugins to do this?

Also, I'm curious if you're planning to implement a feature to remove the menus which show up on McBar from the windows they first come from.

Again, great work and keep it up!

Originally posted by Enhanced@Apr 24 2004, 12:38 PM

Bug: File Menu's Squish together after a while

When using Mcbar for a long period of time ( oh 20min ) and after clicking windows back and forh, The menu's squish together and then all i see is "FiEdVie"

I have to close and re open mc bar to fix this problem.

-Mike

Could you please give a scrreshot. I'm running McBar for hours without getting smth like that. (at this moment the uptime of my current instance of McBar is about 40 minutes. Everything's OK)

Originally posted by xfluffyx@Apr 24 2004, 05:24 PM

So, are you saying McBar itself won't be capable of displaying menus like Explorer, Mozilla, iTunes, etc. but eventually there will be plugins to do this?

Yes, there will be plugins (for example, I would like to control my WinAMP and QCD in some "extended" way, but they don't have window menus both. The plugins could help.)

Also, I'm curious if you're planning to implement a feature to remove the menus which show up on McBar from the windows they first come from.

No, I won't make McBar do this. First, this breaks the functionality of programs, and second, how can McBar determine the changes to menus than?

Again, great work and keep it up!

Thank you

Originally posted by sMACkingMACs@Apr 24 2004, 05:19 PM

Thank you. Work very good.

small shadow problem when run mcbar. How to fix?

Sorry my english hope understnd.

Does this bug happen every time you run McBar? Does McBar have a normal shadow?

It seems most like a bug of Y'z Shadow. I get this frequently for menus (not only McBar, but any menu popup in the system).

Mac users, please help.

I'd like to know, does the Mac's menu draw shadows under the text of top-level menu items. Maybe it can be set up whether to draw or not?

I saw some screenshots with shadow only under the app name, some with shadows under app name and menu text, and some - without any shadows drawn. But all screennies are in lossy JPEG formal (and those with the most highest quality don't show any shadows), so I can't say for sure.

Originally posted by RIMMER@Apr 25 2004, 07:27 PM

No, I won't make McBar do this. First, this breaks the functionality of programs, and second, how can McBar determine the changes to menus than?

I'm not sure exactly how it's done in ObjectBar, but Stardock does menu removing while showing the selected window's menu in the bar.. except that program is a big clunky mess and I'd love a smaller, faster program that ACTS more like aqua (like McBar does) instead of just looking like it.

Originally posted by Enhanced@Apr 26 2004, 11:48 AM

Yeah i cant read Russian or whatever that may beĀ  >.<

Oh, my! Did I really include the russian variant of McMenu????

Hmm... Indeed. Go download new version. Follow old links, I just repacked the v.0.0.1.35 zip. New build will come soon.

But for this moment I suppose that Aqua users should set up McMenu by their own hands (because there are no default folders for most Aqua apps. If there would be - I'd include the most appropriate McMenu)

Yeah, and one more thing, for not qouting my own posts. I forced my instance of McBar to squish menus. The problem seems to be solved in new build, but it is not released yet.