Official "I Switched" Thread

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, everyone, In the past I posted in recent threads that I was thinking about getting a PowerMac G5 and I want to ask the owners of these computer's to tell me what there experiences in using a PowerMac for their daily use. If I do decide on getting a PowerMac, I want to know what upgrades are good for the PowerMac's and I want to know what everybody is putting in there computers, so I can get an idea in what I can customize my PowerMac when I order it. And also as you may know by know apple is putting intel's in there computers and the PowerMac are the last one's to be updated with the intel chip in 2007. I want to ask you, if you just recently bought the PowerMac do you regret on buying one even if you knew that the PowerMac with Intel are coming? Do you think Apple will continue to support and make binary software for the PowerPc once the Intel Computers come out or will thay just focus on the Intel Computers when the transition is over. I saved up 5,000 to buy a PowerMac and if I bought one today, I don't want to regret on buying a PowerPc instead of getting a Intel PowerMac. Is there really a big difference between a PowerPc and an Intel, the reason that I ask, I was just watching Steve Jobs recent Keynote address and he stunned everyone when he was using Tiger on a Intel platform, most people couldn't tell the difference, so basically it just run faster right? I'm looking forward on seeing Aqua-soft members PowerMac's and there experiences in using this great computer. And remember this is a friendly environment so please don't post anything that is harmful to other Members, remember we all are here to learn from one other, if your are a experience Mac users, please share your knowledge so for us that are inexperience in using a Mac can learn more about how to use an Apple.

@ Skyline what do you intend to use this computer for.. i.e surfing the web, watching movies, listening to music, photo manipulation, 3d rendering, web design, print design, video rendering, playing games.. give us some info.

I just brought an iMac, i brought it now because i know that anything to do with any kind of change in technology usually results in the first wave being buggy, i think this will be the case with intel macs. Its good to note too that apple will always update there computers ,usually, on a yearly basis and you will end up never buying a power mac if you always wait for the new version cause with apple there is always a new version, my suggestion is the same as abbaZaba "just get your freaking computer already, holy hell"

and yes of course apple will support there older macs

I finally got a mac. Although its just a mini i got way more than i was expecting. I called up compUSA to see if they were willing to sell off one of their floor models (display models) and the guy said that he could sell me a mini 1.25 80 gig combodrive for $399. Once i decided to make my purchase he went back into the back room to get the box. He realized that the one he was selling was actually the one that retails for $699. He came back and told me what had happened and gave me a brand new mac mini (usually 699) for 399!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Julieta

Our lab just got two new imacs with core duo, so we now have two core duo and a power pc... and several linux pcs.

our technical support guy showed me osx86 runin in his laptop. he recommended me to buy a mac mini with core duo... since it will be my first computer (yes! no more staying late at the lab) i want to know if it is recommended to get it? thank you