[release] Avedesk 1.1

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all I apoligize for not just automatically giving this a glowing review. So before people start yelling at me just know that. I think this is nice. However I was hoping the portions that deal with desktop icons to be more automatic. This is still very seperate from the windows desktop and I would like to see it take over the desktops icon functionality. If you right click on the desktop and make a new folder it should automatically show up as a desklet folder. If you save an image on the desktop it should automatically show up as a desklet. If you hit delete it should remove the desklet and send the file to the trash. If you hit shift+delete it should delete the file. You get my drift. In other words have the functions the normal Windows icons have in addition to your features.

What would be good for the function that hides the icon if the drive is not mounted is for example if you have 2 CD\DVD Drives for the second one to go right under the last non cd desklet and then below it if there is another cd desklet. Or if you duplicate a desklet it should not pile up. If you plug in a new drive or when it first starts up I think it should see the drive and automatically create a desklet for it have auto hide on by default, and if a person doesn't want it they can turn it off in the advanced options.

There are 2 other things, the labels should be accessible from the right click menu in a sub-menu and there should be a blur function for the label text shadows.

Originally posted by DoubleD@Jul 24 2004, 03:11 PM

Smoke - you do realise this is a .1 release!!! Concidering all the NEW features and desklets (co-inciding with the fact it is free). I'm sure Ave has many tricks/plans up his sleeve - but right now I'm sure hes just having a nice well deserved beer!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What did I say about yelling at me? What I said is called constructive cristisism and I am as free to say it as people yelling "WHOOHOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

I was not demanding that any of what I said be done now but to keep it in mind. Especially considering what this applications function is.

Originally posted by Unbeliever@Jul 24 2004, 03:14 PM

@ smoke - i think u got some nice ides but let`s not push things too far

this IS a FREE app Ave is doing for us and to implement the things u want it would take a full time commitment to this app.

and what u wrote isn`t a review, it`s a wishlist

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People are always saying that freeware applications are better than commercial applications and that a person should not have to pay for software. Well, do you think that I should just stick to commercial software to be able to say anything without people telling me to shut up? I already apoligized that I'm not just saying WHOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHH AWESOME GREATTTTTTTTT!!!! like everyone else.

Smoke that functionailty is added in avedesk, it was not added n the final release

you need to have a Desktopgrabber.dll Desklet, as well as a module.ini file which loads this automatically because its a different form of a Desklet. It does exactly that im using it right now, but im not sure why Ave removed it from final release.

-bolero

Smoke, thanks for your valuable input. Criticism is sometimes more worth than another 'thank you, great release. /Name'-post.

First of all I apoligize for not just automatically giving this a glowing review. So before people start yelling at me just know that. I think this is nice. However I was hoping the portions that deal with desktop icons to be more automatic. This is still very seperate from the windows desktop and I would like to see it take over the desktops icon functionality. If you right click on the desktop and make a new folder it should automatically show up as a desklet folder. If you save an image on the desktop it should automatically show up as a desklet. If you hit delete it should remove the desklet and send the file to the trash. If you hit shift+delete it should delete the file. You get my drift. In other words have the functions the normal Windows icons have in addition to your features.

I actually did implement this (besides the shortcut keys, didn't think of 'em :rolleyes: ). My reason for not yet releasing it along with the application is that I heard most of the testers asking for a way to disable it. If you want, I can send the extra files to you. Just drop a line at averhoev.2@hccnet.nl .

What would be good for the function that hides the icon if the drive is not mounted is for example if you have 2 CD\DVD Drives for the second one to go right under the last non cd desklet and then below it if there is another cd desklet. Or if you duplicate a desklet it should not pile up. If you plug in a new drive or when it first starts up I think it should see the drive and automatically create a desklet for it have auto hide on by default, and if a person doesn't want it they can turn it off in the advanced options.

Same issue. I have created an addon plug for this, only the reason for not including this one is that it is rather buggy. I am dealing with some badly documented shell functions from Microsoft. Once this one is done, you will be the first one to get it.

There are 2 other things, the labels should be accessible from the right click menu in a sub-menu and there should be a blur function for the label text shadows.

Not sure what you mean with the label in the right click menu, can you give me some more info on your idea?

The label text shadows IS blurred, maybe I should make it a bit stronger blur.

Again, thanks for your input.

Originally posted by bolero@Jul 24 2004, 03:19 PM

Smoke that functionailty is added in avedesk, it was not added n the final release

you need to have a Desktopgrabber.dll Desklet, as well as a module.ini file which loads this automatically because its a different form of a Desklet.  It does exactly that im using it right now, but im not sure why Ave removed it from final release.

-bolero

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok thanks Bolero.

Andreas, you have blown me away :o

I've set up the FTP droplet with 4 presets, and I have to say it's the most useful thing on my desktop right now. Outstanding job, man. I can't thank you enough for all the new stuff you've added in this release.

It was well worth the wait. :)

Big props to all the artists for the graphics/images too. Everything looks just awesome.

(fixed yo quote thing, Ave)Dam quote thing... anyway..

"Smoke, thanks for your valuable input. Criticism is sometimes more worth than another 'thank you, great release. /Name'-post.

I actually did implement this (besides the shortcut keys, didn't think of 'em  :rolleyes: ). My reason for not yet releasing it along with the application is that I heard most of the testers asking for a way to disable it. If you want, I can send the extra files to you. Just drop a line at averhoev.2@hccnet.nl"

Ok thanks.

"Same issue. I have created an addon plug for this, only the reason for not including this one is that it is rather buggy. I am dealing with some badly documented shell functions from Microsoft. Once this one is done, you will be the first one to get it.

Not sure what you mean with the label in the right click menu, can you give me some more info on your idea?"

I see... thanks again. Now as far as the labels are concerned, you know how you can add stuff to the righ click menu of a desklet? And there are things in the normal one such as "open with" or an archive program adding a submenu to do stuff. Well kind of like that except showing a list of installed labels so you can change it from there.

"The label text shadows IS blurred, maybe I should make it a bit stronger blur."

Maybe just a little, but not by much. Perhaps it could be put in as an option?

"Again, thanks for your input."

Thanks for listening. :D

Same as Everyone else Ave. Thank you. I'm downloading it right now and I can't wait to try it!!! I also want to thank all the beta testers and all the input everyone had to get Ave to make an excellent app. If its what I have been reading about, my desktop experience will be alot more fun ;) Thanks guys!!!!!!

Edit: Just tried it and it so much faster!! Wow, but I do have to ask one thing though, when doing labels is there a way you could make it show up while choosing it. Like Hybrid Rainbow has made so many labels, it would be easier for us to scroll through them, while Avedesk displays them, and choose which one fits our desktop;instead of the old way in which we have to look at the image documentation and choose, then close the dialog properties thing, and have it display.

Originally posted by smoke@Jul 24 2004, 10:07 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's good to hear feedback from the community on every app brought through the doors of Aqua Soft. We are especially lucky to have someone as talented as AndreasV finding a home here, releasing apps specifically for the Aqua community. This is where the strength of AquaSoft is - in its developers and in the communities feedback to those developers. :)

Smoke: The add item functionality you want WAS originally in the Betas. Anytime an item was copied to the desktop or a new item was added it also added an identical desklet. For someone like myself it was a nightmare - I use the desktop to move hundreds of files a day. I don't know if you read all of the original release post, but AndreasV has already addressed this issue...

Also, a desktop plugin that will convert your desktop icons into desklets at real-time, will come pretty soon.

So I don't really see your complaint/ issue here... it was adressed in the original post.

Your drives request I dont understand. You seem to want this application to be more of a shell replacement instead of a widget/ gadget system that compliments the desktop. I have no idea where AndreasV would take this app... to a full shell replacement or just a standalone application like Konfabulator or DesktopX. Personally, I like it how it is.

I disagree with your request for label access from the right click menu. To me you might as well ask for the entire dialog to be accessable from the right click menu by focusing on such a small option. IMO, "Add new Desklet" would be the first and most reasonable addition to the right click menu, bringing up the the New Desklet dialog.

As for Double D and Unbeliever 'yelling' at you, it comes across as you yelling at Double D. Just a little FYI. People are happy this is out, constructive critisism is welcome, but lets try not to stir up a huge issue about you not being listened to. Honestly, its all about AndreasV and Avedesk 1.1 right now, not you. :)

Originally posted by deadzombie@Jul 24 2004, 03:36 PM

It's good to hear feedback from the community on every app brought through the doors of Aqua Soft. We are especially lucky to have someone as talented as AndreasV finding a home here, releasing apps specifically for the Aqua community. This is where the strength of AquaSoft is - in its developers and in the communities feedback to those developers. :)

Smoke: The add item functionality you want WAS originally in the Betas. Anytime an item was copied to the desktop or a new item was added it also added an identical desklet. For someone like myself it was a nightmare - I use the desktop to move hundreds of files a day. I don't know if you read all of the original release post, but AndreasV has already addressed this issue...

So I don't really see your complaint/ issue here... it was adressed in the original post.

Your drives request I dont understand. You seem to want this application to be more of a shell replacement instead of a widget/ gadget system that compliments the desktop. I have no idea where AndreasV would take this app... to a full shell replacement or just a standalone application like Konfabulator or DesktopX. Personally, I like it how it is.

I disagree with your request for label access from the right click menu. To me you might as well ask for the entire dialog to be accessable from the right click menu by focusing on such a small option. IMO, "Add new Desklet" would be the first and most reasonable addition to the right click menu, bringing up the the New Desklet dialog.

As for Double D and Unbeliever 'yelling' at you, it comes across as you yelling at Double D. Just a little FYI. People are happy this is out, constructive critisism is welcome, but lets try not to stir up a huge issue about you not being listened to. Honestly, its all about AndreasV and Avedesk 1.1 right now, not you. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps more of an icon replacement than a "shell" replacement\enhancement. Kind of like IconX but with the other features that are in this such as drive count\auto mount, etc.

About your last paragraph. I anticipated people not wanting for me to say anything other than "fantastic" "great" etc. so I apoligized beforehand yet those 2 chose to ignore that and tell me anyway to not say anything. Which made me a little upset.

But AndreasV answered in a more better way so I'm satisfied. And no I haven't been following all the previous threads because I can't afford to follow everything on the net with responsibilites.

@ smoke - i think u got some nice ides but let`s not push things too far

this IS a FREE app Ave is doing for us and to implement the things u want it would take a full time commitment to this app.

and what u wrote isn`t a review, it`s a wishlist

this insulted you? :blink:

i didn`t say u should keep ur mouth shut :blink:

anyway, i respect Ave too much to turn this into a fight.

i`ll keep my mouth shut -_-

Anyhoo, for those that dare to try it out, here is the desktopgrabber-module:

It will turn any file that is placed on the real desktop into a desklet.

http://mpj.tomaatnet.nl/desktopgrabber.dll

This file goes into your Desklets folder.

This file goes into the folder where AveDesk.exe is located:

http://mpj.tomaatnet.nl/modules.ini

After you did this, restart AveDesk. Note that this is still a beta module.

To remove this feature, remove modules.ini and restart avedesk again.

PS: The FTP droplet can be SHIFT+dragged to a textbox/document to retrieve all the links of the uploaded files.