• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 Posts? Yes

Fluent in English? Yes

Country of Residence: USA (St. Louis)

Education: Junior Year of High School: IB Diploma Candidate

Reason: I swing by this forum at least 3 times daily and love seing the new releases

Posistion Desired: Daily Newsposter ('tis far more simple than reviewing and writing critically)

I barely (as far as posts go anyway) meet the qualifications that your looking for. I'm 28 years old and live in New York (United States). I love the commutity and as you can see I contribute to it (Posts & Materials). I'm also an I.T. professional (who downloads and test just about any program that is on the web).

My experience is as follows:

Design

Photoshop, IconWorkshop

OSs

Linux, Windows (Home, Pro & Servers), Some Mac.

Web

Content Mangement Servers (xoops, phpWebSite)

HTML (Dreamweaver, Frontpage)

PHP (Beginner)

Databases (MySql, JetSql)

Now, when do I start contributing? :P

pwnzarpat - you have nothing to do with the selection process, nor you are applying for a position. Please stop posting here. You are (still) a member of the staff so please, behave like one. Also you are not the one who sets the rules for applicants.

I am alone responsible for the newsposter selection and the front page. And it is I who decides who is and who is not suitable. I can bend the rules i, myself posted if i find a person suitable.

Also everyone can apply for one or more positions, it just eases the process of selection.

Now let`s get back on topic.

I have already started looking into your applications and in a week (when i close this thread), i will PM you each about with decision.

I would also like to encourage all who are interested to apply. It doesn`t hurt and you can end up with a shiny orange badge ;)

We are looking for a completely new, fresh and dedicated team of people to take the newsposting duties. This position requires a certain level of fluency in English, at least 50 posts on AquaSoft (it`s a necessary evil) and applicants must be over 16 years old.

Why the age limit? I'm sure there are many people under the age of 16 who can type better then most adults. People will just lie about their age if it means they can get the job. Now all you have is a dishonest newsposter. Age shouldn't be the criteria, you should evaluate their writing style, and whether they can commit to the job or not.

Look at me, no one knows my age because I choose not to divulge it; for fear of this happening. And yet if you look over this post it might not seem as though I am below the age of 16. Its the common stereotype of a young, immature child that gives you the idea that we can't handle the job.

Just something to think about ;)

Why the age limit?

Though your post raised some interesting points, it would have been better suited to PM, as we're trying to keep the thread newsposter-applicants only. As it is, I will answer it here.

Generally, the writing of 11-14 year old's is not mature, or striking in any way. Exceptions will be made if necessary, but these stereotypes have some grain of truth in them.

If you are young, that doesn't mean you're immature, and if you're immature, that doesn't mean you are young. We simply need a starting point with which to gauge writing style, and 16 seemed an appropriate age. Your post indicates a certain level of articulation, which means that you would be newsposter-material (probably) if you chose to. However, in my opinion, you're the exception that proves the rule.

Most 12-year olds feel special because they're so young, and still capable of using a computer. They don't try especially hard to achieve proper grammar and spelling, which is why we barred people below a certain age.

Plus, it's just a natural bias that newsposters should be able to drive, or close to it. ;)

^^If there's enough argument, perhaps we can be convinced to lower the age to 15, but I doubt it.

We'll see,

-NC

Fluent in English: Bet you can't tell it's my second language! ;) (Yes indeed, I am fluent...)

Residence: Rainy Seattle, WA. Pacific Standard Time, that is.

Education: High School Junior, but I have enough credits and IB Programme credits to become a Sophomore in College next year if I wanted to...

Reason: Being ultimately too lazy to actually go contribute to the community (I need to brush up on my graphical programming), I think this is the best way I can contribute. I am an avid forum user (I have more than 1000 posts on 3 different forums and hang mostly around kirupa.com forums), and though I haven't been posting much on A-S lately, this will most definitely change if I am offered the job. I have been a member for a comparatively long time.

Job Request: Daily poster

Fluent in English: Yes and more useless languages like Uryuom

Residence: Essex, UK

Education: College (As in English College, not University)

Reason: I am dedicated to perfection (not in the same way as Duckie, but everything must work properly or as close as possible) which is what has taken me so long with my own skins. Skins like Jet Black are beautiful but until Window's black text problem is fixed it will always be unnusable in some applications and so a perfect Jet Black port is still a few years away. Also, I need a reason for my mate to not sit at my computer playing World of Warcraft 24/7 on my account... :)

Job Request: GUI Review

As long as this is a once a week or at least a regular posting position, I'll be happy, the only problem will come when someone has to review my own skins :P

Fluent in English: Yes

Residence: Helena, Montana, USA

Education: B.A. in Political Science

Reason: I have been a member of this community for over two years now, although I have been absent for varying amounts of time. I am looking to once again assume a role in the community and offer my services as a veteran.

I have been using the Macintosh OS for over 15 years now, and feel I am a power user on the platform, although I am not as well versed in the relatively new additions to the Mac OS, particularly the Terminal. I have been an OS X user for 2 years now, and also have valuable knowledge in the Classic Mac OS. I enjoy reviewing software for the Mac, and feel I can offer a balanced review that will take into account all users, be they novices or power users, owners of G3 iMacs or G5 PowerMacs.

Job Request: OS X Application Reviewer

50 Posts? Yes

Fluent in English? Yes kinda. My English is a bit updated now..

Country of Residence: Philippines

Education: Still Studying at High School. Third Year High.

Reason: I just want to spill the goodness of Aqua-Soft.. My simple computer expertise may help solve the problems of this community. I know Aqua-Soft since April 2002. And I am an inactive developer now. Still, I categorize myself as an Aqua Enthusiast.

Posistion desired: Daily Newsposter

He or she will revirew themes.

not just themes. he or she will review GUI packs, themes, skins, major icon sets or anything he/she finds interesting. After some thinking i decided to accept 2 GUI reviewers (one for WB and other Msstyes). There might me slight shuffling with the newsposter positions but that is still in the works.

24 hours from now this thread will be closed and potential candidates (along with those who weren`t chosen in this leg) will be informed via PM.

Thank you all who applied :)

We would need some equality on the reviews. By any chance can there be a GUI reviewer who only does WB if there are no other who fill in for the rest. If after the selection that is the case it might be a possibility, in the meantime however, the person that applies for GUI Reviewer should be up to reviewing any (and i mean any as in "could be any of them at any given time) GUI related material listed in Unbeliever's post above.

Let me jump onto the bandwagon before it closes...

More than 50 posts?: Yes

Fluent in English?: Yes

Country of Residence: Singapore (SGT (UTC +8Hrs))

Highest Education: (up to now) (Singapore) Cambridge 'N' Levels

Desired Newsposting Position: GUI Reviewer (msstyles)

Reason: To me, a theme is not just a theme to change the look of your computer, but also a work of art, and an expression of your style and artistic tastes. I also like trying different themes out whenever one is released, to see how everything looks and feel, and whether it is usable.

I'm still interested in the position and haven't received a PM saying no, so...

Reposting my app so you guys don't have to go searching for it.

50 Posts? Yes

Fluent in English? Yes

Country of Residence: USA (St. Louis)

Education: Junior Year of High School: IB Diploma Candidate

Reason: I swing by this forum at least 3 times daily and love seeing/commenting on new releases

Posistion Desired: Daily Newsposter