RK Launcher 0.3 - FEATURE REQUESTS

Pe8er

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me thank Raduking for this great app.

I would really like for the close application function to work...if it does work could someone please clue me in...thanks.

I like the minimize effect and I have an idea for another one that would really Rock.

I'll call it the tornado or cyclone effect. What happens is that when you minimize an application to the dock it starts at the bottom and rapidly spins into a cone or tornado shape, bounces around the screen a little and the zips into the dock kinda like the Tasmanian Devil.

I'm not a programer and I can't do this on my own but use your imagination. A Tasmanian Devil effect would be kinda like the Genie effect only better and original.

L8tr,

HaMMeR=GoM=

one annoying thing that is missing and i would like this feature is, if the dock crashes, which it sometimes does, the minimized windows won't go back. and if i restart the application, i still can't see it. so i have some missing ghost windows that i can't touch anymore and i have to close them in the control alt delete and start it all again.

two solutions. make it automaticlly bring all windows back if closed forcefuly, or still be able to view the minimized windows even if control-alt-delete canceled.

i think i finally have a solution to why your dock crashes sometimes. it might be due to handeling hanging applications. when an application crashes and hangs, and is somehow linked to the launcher like minimize or docklet the launcher will be experincing some problems too and it will have to be shut down by windows. it's not the launcher it's other programs making it crash.

hmmm....

lol.. i posted wrong in first time...

nyways here's my request... wht about sud docks on program catagories... like in OB ... ;);)

& also a little task/menu related to programm/media player running like... suppose i;m playing Winamp... RKL shud recognize the player and give me few commands/menu like thing... just like the finder menu recognizes the application running in mac.... not actualy like this... ili' bit like this...

1. Priority during animation: when you open a program, the bounce animation is slow while the program is loading, then very fast once the program is finished. I'm guessing you're running the thread priority on the animation at slightly below normal, in order for this to be occurring. I think it would be better to have the animation run at normal priority, since the CPU it uses for it is negligible on most systems, and most people care more about visual responsiveness than the fraction of a second in program loading time they may have saved (this is why all GUI threads in Windows run at least at normal priority, so you wouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for the start menu to appear while Photoshop is loading in the background or something).

2. Tweening the bounce animation: right now it is linear (no acceleration or deceleration, like the real dock and yzdock have). You can mimic the tweening using the following equations:

For easing in: y(t) = t^p

For easing out: y(t) = 1 - (1-t)^p

p is usually set to something like 2, or 3, or 4. If set to 1, you get linear animation (like you already have). You can also use sin(t), but it generally does not look as good as the above equations.

3. The ability to set a list of apps which will the dock will ignore. (And someone mentioned something like this before, for iTunes I think.) For instance, RK launcher always interferes with a freeware wallpaper changer I use (http://www.wallpaper-world.net/Changer2.htm), such that I've had to stop using it. Also, I access Outlook from the sys tray a lot, and while RK catches the minimize action, it never catches the maximize action. Hence, at the end of the day, I usually have like 10 copies of Outlook sitting in my dock :) So there are some programs, when minimized, I *don't* want to go to the dock.

Keep up the great work ;)

I'd really like to see integration with some commonly-used apps (the thing i liked most about MOBYDOCK DX) was this). For example, if I right-Clicked my Windows Media Player icon, I could pause/play files..etc, same with MSN Messenger (change status).

Op, and I've found a bug: my currently running (i.e. non-minimized) apps don't show on the dock. If I check the "Show New Applications" box, it lists EVERY process i'm running (including AveDesk, Konfabulator, svchost...etc), but not the non-minimized apps. Also, there is no "Apply" button for the settings, so we can't keep them :P

will post a bug report in the thread

& also a little task/menu related to programm/media player running like... suppose i;m playing Winamp... RKL shud recognize the player and give me few commands/menu like thing
there are docklets that let you do this - the main program is not going to take in account every existing program :)
For easing in: y(t) = t^p

For easing out: y(t) = 1 - (1-t)^p

I really hope he is not going to use powers or trigonometric functions in his program, since they are too slow. Either you have precalculated tables, or you can achieve a smooth animation with x = x + (endposition-x)/speed
The ability to set a list of apps which will the dock will ignore
please, read the entire thread before writing... an exclusion list was first asked ages ago, and its already in development (you can see its interface in the nightly builds]

right now the magnification algorithm is a bresenham style one.

it doesn't use any real number...

here are some numbers on the speed in clock ticks:

Magnification time: 47

Items drawing time: 36485

Background drawing time: 12873

Update window time: 3236

the magnification is calculation of all items rectangles.

so imagine all this with HA ;)

I read the entire thread ( :D ) but i didn't managed to find this suggestion:

- what about making a "Maximise Effect" for the window minimized in the "launcher"?

I ask this thing only cause i have tryed an iMac yesterday, and i noticed this particular animation, that don't exist in RKLauncher.

When you have time, if you want, only if you think it could be a nice thing, then consider this "feature request" :)

I read the entire thread ( :D ) but i didn't managed to find this suggestion:

- what about making a "Maximise Effect" for the window minimized in the "launcher"?

Actually, I think this was discussed in another thread? (Adding the maximize effect, as well as 3d-accelerated genie effects, or something to that nature.)

I really hope he is not going to use powers or trigonometric functions in his program, since they are too slow. Either you have precalculated tables, or you can achieve a smooth animation with x = x + (endposition-x)/speed

Don't confuse the speed of a trivial operation with overall responsiveness. In t^p as a tweening function (or its inverse), p is usually an integer of 3. So we're talking 2 multiplications (t*t*t), which is a few billionths of a second on most people's computers. So, it ends up being negligent compared to the tens of thousands of cycles then consumed to draw the animation frame. Even if there were trigonometric functions, it still wouldn't have any negligible impact on performance.

right now the magnification algorithm is a bresenham style one.

it doesn't use any real number...

Just in case there was any confusion, my comment about tweening was directed towards the bounce animation, not magnification, a totally separate issue. Magnification looks great, the upsampling looks a lot better than yzdock too, in my opinion!

Make the program not appear in the applications tab of the windows task manager and instead only in the processes

Yes, that is a good idea. Is there a way to make it a service (perhaps I am way off base here) that starts automatically at windows start? Right now I have it in the Run folder of (HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun) of my registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun]

" RKLauncher"=""E:Program FilesRKLauncherRKLauncher.exe""

So it runs at startup each time.

AdverseYaw

I'm a long time Y'z Dock user. Since it's no longer being worked on I decided to give RK Dock a shot. The features and options are great. I love everything about it EXCEPT the "smoothness" of the magnifying icons. I compared RK to Y'z on both of my systems - an Inspiron 9300 and a 3Ghz P4 Dimension 8300. On both machines the Y'z dock is noticeably smoother when you move your mouse from right to left over the dock. This lack of framerate I cannot live with but if you figure out a fix I will instantly switch over to RK on all of my machines.