New Spotlight clone

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, I started with build 14 and now I'm using 15.

so that means that you didn't have to go through all of that diagnostic crap like everyone else a while ago.

Hey Saladin, see, your XML suggestion fixed yet another problem, I removed the code from both of those builds that would sniff out that url that allowed google to use the unsupported browser. I guess when you request the results in xml, google doesn't care what browser your using, awesome!!!

And yes CDi2, that would be totally awesome if I could use an ftp account. let me know when you have it up

i second the "TOP HIT shows the previous top hit if you do more than one search in a row" bug

build is great other than that! finally it's honouring the "close menu when i click another window" option :-)

my only other peeve is a very minor one: the spotlight button is still too on-top for my likes. it no longer is on top of screensavers or tooltips but for instance when i full-screen firefox it remains on top. very minor peeve though.

great work, tom.

What's that supposed to mean? I'm not allowed to try the beta?

no, we had a problem on the first builds, it was not working on anyone's computers except for mine. The program works by performing a google desktop search through a hidden browser, then loading the raw html into memory and extracting the results from it. The problem was google was sending a page back saying "were sorry, your browser seems to be incompatible, click here to use your browser anyway". So I had to manually have users send me all this info from their computers in order for me to figure out how to do it. Then I was able to program a diagnostic tool to assist in getting it working, but it was complicated. Then to speed up search results, Saladin told me how to get the results back in xml format (which is 100 times faster). I got frustrated with some bugs that I couldn't figure out that I scrapped almost 90% of the program and started over with saladins idea. I never put the code back in that fixed that problem, you were a beta tester and didn't even know it. Just you telling me your getting results tells me that the problem with the unsupported browser is fixed.

Kind of a long explanation, sorry

Me: Seems like the TOP HIT shows the previous top hit if you do more than one search in a row.

Also, the show all count seems off.

Hope these haven't been reported yet, tried searching the thread but it wouldn't let me search top hit.

You: ey blulegend, I have an important question for you. Is this the first build you ran on your computer?

Me: Tom, I started with build 14 and now I'm using 15.

You: so that means that you didn't have to go through all of that diagnostic crap like everyone else a while ago.

I'm confused. No matter. I love the progress of this piece of software.

it seems that in a category, if you have less than two search results, your current results are duplicated to fill up the space. At least I keep getting duplicate results showing up, however it comes about (try a few random searches, comparing the paths given by the tooltip. The show all dlg seems not to have this problem often

Top hit does seem to be a little strange, but its coming along very nicely!

1) Press the windows key and R, and type in "appwiz.cpl".

2) Scroll down to spotlight.

3) Now see why having a more primitive installer is not a good idea (how about splitting the distribution into a custom exe that closes any instances of spotlight, replces the files and starts the new spotlight.exe, and an installer for the DLLs)

1) Press the windows key and R, and type in "appwiz.cpl".

2) Scroll down to spotlight.

3) Now see why having a more primitive installer is not a good idea (how about splitting the distribution into a custom exe that closes any instances of spotlight, replces the files and starts the new spotlight.exe, and an installer for the DLLs)

Interesting. What does this mean because I have 2 entries.

One as "Spotlight" 4.57MB

Another as "Spotlight (C:Program FilesSpotlight)" 1,511.00MB

i'm sorry to bother you all. i can't get this app working. i started download build#14. first, i can't run the setup, then i extract the files (files included in the zip files, .ocx,.dll etc.) to my system32 and dllcache, and finally i be able to run the installer.

i run the prog, type something on it, it's did nothing and no results are appears.

btw, i got gds too.

must i have another browser other than internet explorer?