• Calendar
    • Flight Tracker
    • Phone Book
    • Widget Dock

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey would something like this be possible?

I like to keep the weather widget in the top right-hand corner of my screen. This becomes a problem with some of the weather images. So I was wondering if you can make the widget automatically move away from the top of the screen depending on the weather image that is being displayed. This would prevent the images from going off screen

weather2ec.th.jpg

@ron21

of course it can be made, why doesn' I think about this, because I did it with the lower border?!?!

check for an update on monday

@Chi Chi Rodriguez

does it? I will check it and change the alpha value

Thanks,

SioSae

BTW when you try to expand the widget when it is at the bottom of the screen, the widget will go below the taskbar.

Arlo had the same problem with his new weather widget. But he already fixed it in K 2.0.1

@ron21

because I dont have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen i didn't realize it, and I don't want to set a fixed offset because then there is someone with a double row taskbar or another visual style wich makes his taskbar bigger and ... you get my point, still if there is a way to prevent that in k:2 i will see what I can do.

SioSae

@ron21

because I dont have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen i didn't realize it, and I don't want to set a fixed offset because then there is someone with a double row taskbar or another visual style wich makes his taskbar bigger and ... you get my point, still if there is a way to prevent that in k:2 i will see what I can do.

SioSae

There is a way around that. Weather 1.8 and 2.0.1 can detect the size of the taskbar or if there is no taskbar.

If you want you can get the code from the old weather widget. If you need it I can email it to you.

its also strange that this widget automatically detected my city first time whilst the konfabulator weather widget was running, and the interface seems soooo similar...

I think you may be leaving out a credit to Arlo Rose for the original weather widget code (because his code IS used, without analysing it I see the xmldom.js there)

@Saladin

if you name the widget like another one which you already loaded before and the name of a preference is the same in both widgets, konfab doesn't mater that the widgets aren't the same. if there are same sames, you get the saved konfig.

And of course I used some code fragments from both the weather widgets, arlo's and the dashboard's. I took a look how they get the weather data and decided to change what I have to change instead of writing it all by myself (I hope nobody gave me credits for creating it from scratch here, could have done it by rewriting all and rename the functions, variables, change the code here and there so noone could say, look he used the code from whoever, but why should I do it, i want the widget get done as fast as most of you want it).

For those of you who want to know it more exactly: first of all I started to design the widget, take the original pictures (so I have to leave a credit for the unknown apple designer) and try to imitate the right placements by using the original apple sourcecode (here comes my credit for the unknown apple widget programmer). after that I changed arlo's fading functions to do what I want to do with them (instead of I could just look who they doing things and rewrite it completely, but thats who it goes in programming, its mainly cut and paste, but anyway big credit to arlo this time). after that it was time to take a look at the weather fetching functions. to get the weather I took both widgets functions and rewrite them (big credit to both. city search: arlo; weather fetching: apple).

enough credits for you? that was your point? I didn't even think about looking in your code after some credit for apple. and don't tell me you did it all by yourself. and you know why I didn't do this? because it is not much "legal" to port the widgets without permission. so leaving an official credit just do it worse.

Have a nice sunday

SioSae

and for the xmldom.js, it is a free available library wich is only used ba arlo too. so

hope you got my point, I don't want to get the credits for creating this wonderful widget instead of getting them for porting it, and change the things I have to change to get it done.

My point was only that those who contributed should be credited. Especially Arlo, he really deserves it.

And yes, my widgets were made from scratch without any apple/other widget code (ghostwalker used some in the translator and calculator, but the were duly credited).

As far as I know you can use anyones code that has been placed in a konfabulator widget and nowhere did I find in Siosae's widget did he claim any of the code as his as a matter of fact I seen where he credited alot of people for thier code. I myself am not a programmer but a carpenter I would be lost if not for the code that is already out there.But in the same instance theres not much in the way of carpentry that hasnt been done before either. Saladin is very good at doing things from scratch I myself am just an old hacker you make I mode it simple as that. And it does not bother me to say that.

I don't want to fight with anybody.and please before reading any further, keep the following words in mind: humor, sarcasm and irony);)

using images or pieces of sourcecode, is there a difference? I believe using others images is even worse, but maybe you did it all from scratch too ;) (sorry, I had to do this joke).

I take a look at someones code and later write my own code and claim, writing it by myself, can I really proof it?

You wanted to start porting the weather by yourself and would have done it all by yourself. it's ok for me. I even want to discuss it any further.

And by the way, why is the first post you write about my port of the widget about analyzing the sourcecode if you do it all by yourself, why looking at someone elses sourcecode? hm. And if you had taken a closer look, you would have seen the difference in arlo's code and the one of the xmldom.js? the second one has "some sort of copyright" like "its free, you can use it...", arlo's code doesn't. may be he wrote it by himself, I could have done the same but it was faster to change some code from arlo so he fit my requirements. maybe he resembles free code fragments from elsewhere, who knows and it doesn't matter, because he did a great job with his weather widget. The first time I saw the new one I even consider not to port the dashboard weather widget.

And of course he has to be contributed and I'm really sorry that I didn't do it in the first place. but if you are a programmer, you know that almost everything you have programmed (and I'm sure for that) is somewhere written before. It's done before, I know that in my 15 years of being a programmer, so it's the same to me.

So finally, did Arlo really wants the contribution or do you need my contribution for arlo? think about it!

And as a result of all this, I will write Arlo to personally thank him for his inspiration in his well written (and free to use) code.

@all

On Monday you will get a new version with new features included (mainly the requested ones from the tread)

and (hopefully) already the flipping animation :)

@magnus wild

your image will be used in the next version (the one I using now is in fact the one from the translator or stickies widget from ghostwalker, thank you and sorry for not credit you before) ;)

@ron21

please mail it to me, would save time and you can get your functionality on monday.

a, I don't want to forget it, if I read in someones code before implementing I will mention it.

just one other thing, I indeed start developing this widget from scratch too.

SioSae

@ron21

please mail it to me, would save time and you can get your functionality on monday.

a, I don't want to forget it, if I read in someones code before implementing I will mention it.

just one other thing, I indeed start developing this widget from scratch too.

SioSae

PM me your email :)