[release] Spotlight Emulator, Google Desktop Search

inktri

To install with Toolbar Icon:

1. Change the extension from zip to widget.

2. Right click the Spotlight Icon and in the Windows tab, choose Topmost

3. Drag the widget over your taskbar, using the Drag Me Around text (might be hard to read, if you try to drag the icon it will just open the results bar over it)

4. Click on the Spotlight icon

5. Drag the results bar (the other window that spawned in the center) right under the taskbar's Spotlight icon

6. Right click the Spotlight icon and in the Windows tab choose Lock Positions

7. To remove the Drag Me Around text, in the Display tab, disable Show Drag Me Around

OR, if you don't care for a working taskbar icon

2. Click the Spotlight Icon and in the General Tab, choose to disable the Taskbar Icon and Drag Me Around Text

3. Drag the results bar wherever you want and lock positions if desired

Note: Once you've done all of that (a hassle), it is recommended that you disable checking for the security code because it's a buggy piece of work.

Questions, comments are more than welcome.

Edit: updated widget w/fixes for many, many bugs and shadows (quirky, I'll fix when the time comes), 1/06 updated again with fixes to posted bugs

GoogleSpotlight.zip

This is intersting. I can't try it out yet because I just installed GDS, but the widget itself is good so far. Not sure about having to make the icon topmost in order to have it lay on the taskbar. Full screen movies and screen savers haven't reacted well to that. The icon still shows on top of fullscreen stuff.

Will update when I can try it out properly. Thanks for the release.

• 2 weeks later...

this is great! some things...

question:

- is there a keyboard command or script that can invoke the search bar to appear (for use with a dock)?

feature request:

- can the taskbar icon be replaced by a system tray icon? this would provide an alternative for zerroeffect's topmost vs fullscreen concern as well as those who dont have a taskbar/object bar with the proper spotlight area.

bugs?

- the X button doesnt clear the text field

- when using "backspace" to manually clear the text field, when "backspacing" the last character, an error pops up saying "Please correct your security code settings." the thing is, the security code setting IS correct.

will keep tinkering but so far so good!

@inktri, is this widget posted in the konfab forums? Is there somewhere we could go to follow development? I don't mean to be skeptical but this widget does tap into GDS's capabilities and content and could represent a compromise of security or privacy, even unintensionally.

I apologize for being such a pessimist but I know you'll take this the right way, yourself being familiar with computer concerns.

Also, thank you, for sharing with us your time and efforts :) I did try installing this widget but had no success with getting it to work. However, I didn't have much time to troubleshoot so perhaps it was something on my end.

fc

this is great! some things...

question:

- is there a keyboard command or script that can invoke the search bar to appear (for use with a dock)?

feature request:

- can the taskbar icon be replaced by a system tray icon? this would provide an alternative for zerroeffect's topmost vs fullscreen concern as well as those who dont have a taskbar/object bar with the proper spotlight area.

bugs?

- the X button doesnt clear the text field

- when using "backspace" to manually clear the text field, when "backspacing" the last character, an error pops up saying "Please correct your security code settings." the thing is, the security code setting IS correct.

will keep tinkering but so far so good!

the taskbar icon is very buggy and at best not recommended. instead you can just create a shortcut to the widget file and put it in your dock. the security code warning is really messed up; for the next version I'll make an option to disable the check when you know you've got the code right. I'll have to try the x button again.

@inktri, is this widget posted in the konfab forums? Is there somewhere we could go to follow development? I don't mean to be skeptical but this widget does tap into GDS's capabilities and content and could represent a compromise of security or privacy, even unintensionally.

I apologize for being such a pessimist but I know you'll take this the right way, yourself being familiar with computer concerns.

Also, thank you, for sharing with us your time and efforts I did try installing this widget but had no success with getting it to work. However, I didn't have much time to troubleshoot so perhaps it was something on my end.

fc

sorry, if you feel insecure, but I feel there is no other way to do it. the security code is needed to access the google desktop frontend, from there the widget just grabs and formats the xml of the results. I do not believe that if I send the code myself I could access your computer because the google desktop search data is stored on your computer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
To install with Toolbar Icon:

2. Right click the Spotlight Icon and in the Windows tab, choose Topmost

3. Drag the widget over your taskbar, using the Drag Me Around text (might be hard to read, if you try to drag the icon it will just open the results bar over it)

4. Click on the Spotlight icon

5. Drag the results bar (the other window that spawned in the center) right under the taskbar's Spotlight icon

6. Right click the Spotlight icon and in the Windows tab choose Lock Positions

7. To remove the Drag Me Around text, in the Display tab, disable Show Drag Me Around

Questions, comments are more than welcome.

Edit: updated widget w/fixes for many, many bugs and shadows (quirky, I'll fix when the time comes), 1/06 updated again with fixes to posted bugs

Hi, thx for the widget, I try your instruction but when I want to set it to lock it position the widget just go back all over from beginning that is from the center of screen. Can you help me ?

• 2 months later...