AveDesk 1.4 Future

AndreasV

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really all Avedesk needs in the icon department then the only other thing is making a part of avescripter that adds wordwrapping in the weather desklet My city is always getting cut off by the sun icon or whatever weather it is. It just needs some more word wrap functionality. Oh and also it should be easier to customize the close button and when the flip button shows up. For example you should have an option that says like always show flip button or show flip button on focus over desklet or show flip button on focus over flip button

I'm working on those. I noticed how confusing it can be to try to find the flip icon. And word wrap is being addressed.

Make it easier to program for. The easier it is, the more desklets you will get. ATM Avedesk has a severe lack of widgets/desklets etc. After all this is the reason for the app, you cant have one without the other.

I'm working on that too for avescripter. I already started it a few month ago. It uses the same engine and has extra stuff to help create desklets. Realtime drag image position, adding layers, controls etc... viewing code and "possible debug script". With a easy "compile" aveinst. But I need to finish off a few more things in avescripter first. Support for ActiveForms, Canvas, Styles, subplugins (allow more power), *effects, and a few more stuff polished and completed before I'm "happy" with scripter.

And real documentation :S

I'm sorry if I wasn't specific enough but what I meant drag and drop as is dropping idlshortcuts into things not dropping things into pidlshortcuts. It's just sometimes when i download a document onto my desktop It's annoying that I have to go into the desktop folder in order to move it when there's an icon right there. I already know that drag and drop into pidlshortcut is supported.

@NC WHat do you mean effects for AVEscripter is that for the multiple select thing or the flip icon or the the word wrap. Because I have done that for my stuff It's just that I find it annoying that i have to manually put that in so I was just suggesting that it automatically be a part of avedesk to both simplify desklet use and distribution

I'm working on those. I noticed how confusing it can be to try to find the flip icon. And word wrap is being addressed.

I'm working on that too for avescripter. I already started it a few month ago. It uses the same engine and has extra stuff to help create desklets. Realtime drag image position, adding layers, controls etc... viewing code and "possible debug script". With a easy "compile" aveinst. But I need to finish off a few more things in avescripter first. Support for ActiveForms, Canvas, Styles, subplugins (allow more power), *effects, and a few more stuff polished and completed before I'm "happy" with scripter.

And real documentation :S

Brilliant, I am looking at JS but its all confusing to me. But if its drag and drop that is very tempting :) Keep up the good work :D

I think updating PidlShorcut will be great, especially "My Computer" - adding parameters that can show Total Size of space, Free Size, no matter how many partions or drives there are, it would be great feature. I'm still using 1.2 version of the Avedesk because I got problem with dissapearing icons with Folder desklet btw is this solved ?! Is there an updated Folder desklet ? Thanks.

The least appealing feature for me with the current AveDesk is that when I set Defauly Desklet properties, I am unable to set different settings for desklets and icons. It'd be great if we could have one setting for desklets and one for icons.

So for example, I could say, "use shadow, use labels, etc" for icons and have "no shadow, no labels, etc" for desklets. if this is hard to make, maybe you could have the option to select "configuration 1" and "configuration 2" that you could just apply.

The other thing I dislike is when deleting an icon (say something i downloaded on my desktop), i can't press the "delete" key, and sometimes when I do delete it, the item still remains on the desktop so i have to delete it using the right click menu and then remove the desklet.

Other than that, everything else is great! I can't wait!!!

I'm sorry about all the misunderstanding I never knew about shift drag in Avedesk. That's very useful i think you should include in your introduction desklet because I never saw that in any AVEdesk documentation. I agree with union JACK the default properties doesn't allow much except size. It needs to support seperate properties for desktop grabbed icons.

Oh, nice, now I've understood your PM. Bug-fixing is extremely good idea.

Yes indeed as I was interested to see this entire [1.4] ideas_architecture thread...

For my simple needs, was using AveDsk1.2 with 3 pidlshortcuts and it ran very stable, not once did I have the 'dreaded disappearing desklet icon' ...

With AveDsk 1.3, same exact simple setup:

1) pidlshortcut-->My Computer

2) pidlshortcut-->Unused Desktop Folder

3) pidlshortcut-->Recycle Bin

At least 4-6 times a week (after reboot) disappearing desklet icons (There was no explorer crashes at all)

A member was kind enough to post a modified PidlFix.effectlet and have been using it, as it helps...lol

I totally enamour AveDsk and admire & respect the dedicated work and efforts put forth by Andreas, herd, Judge...and many more talented people with a love for desktop customizing taken to the limit...

This is the error that always appears when a desklet icon is missing:

post-1346-1139023082_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to future releases of AveDesk. 1.4 and hopefully a 1.5 and 1.6 I think it's a fantastic application and I've used it since its initial release. AveDesk and Konfabulator or should I say Yahoo Widget Engine :slant: Makes a perfect desktop. No need to run DesktopX imo.

Anyways, good luck on 1.4, I'm looking forward to it.

(here's the ideea and the argument; don't ask me how to do it, i'm not a programmer, thought a know i little bit of coding; please just treat this as a designer post)

IDEEA: When minimized, would it be possible to track the task by adding a kind of "minimized sign" to the desktop icon (something like RKLauncher does)? I usually don't use more then 1 program instance (and not too many users do it) so for me it wouldn't be a problem that if i click on an icon it would restore the minimized window, if exists, launch it if it doesn't. Extending, so it won't be a problem for a multi-program-instance user, a "launch new instance" (or smth similar) right-click option can be added.(i hope my ideea is not too confuse)

ARGUMENT: There is the SHOWCASE. Why should i use the RKL if i can have it all in AD's SHOWCASE? It's all about using the less possible tools to get the maximum productivity. It's true that a lot of AD's awarness relies in it's FUN. Same about RKL. Would this make AD more usefull? Would it help on the productivity side of AD? I think so, especially if there would be a Hide Windows Taskbar desklet (similar RKL's one's functionality) to, obviously, hide the damn windows taskbar and to give some more free pixels on the screen.

Easy to say, kind of hard to do; that's how it seems to me.

Impossible? I don't see why?

Needs a poll? Let's start one.

Avedesk 1.3 is working fine on my notebook, since I installed it for the first time... Compared to the previous versions is much more stable and light for the system. Hope version 1.4 will make it better than ever, maybe with an easier system to manage docklets that need Systats to work properly.

Hi!, my problem its over!, i close the Vumeter desklet, it has the cause of continuous rebootings in my pc.

But....... i runing Automounter and with fly2.0 was working fine, when was put a CD it has displayed in my desk. But now i update the Fly2.0 to 3.0, and the Automounter not working . i put any cd or conect my MP3Player USB and... nothing.. any idea?

Hi,

I also found some stuff I'd like to see in AveDesk 1.4 - also I have to admit, they are not top priority... (some of them are only useful, if you enjoy skinning)

- Create Pidl-shortcuts by drag'n'drop on Add desklet-dialog: I know there is a Desktop grabber, but I normally don't use icons on my desktop at all... A feature where you drag a shortcut of your start menu/explorer window to the dialog and so create a Pidl-shortcut would be nice...

- the Group identity build in: It would be nice if dreadnaut's effectlet would be kind of build in, so one can apply a group to a desklet without loosing the possiblity for a magnifying effect, etc. Maybe by using the control window like an explorer one: Create a "folder" where you place your desklets - this is your group... (content of folder can be shown by collapsing/expanding view like in explorer)

I have a lot of Pidl-shortcuts and this would also mean that one doesn't have to scroll in the control window quite a lot to find a certain desklet at the end of the list.

- desklets can be shown "on top", but not on top of the taskbar (the taskbar should be always in front of the windows, but not in front of Ave). An extry option for that would enable (as there still is no desklet to show running applictions and systray content - the taskbar is still needed) to place system information, clocks,... on top of the taskbar.

- "Pass through" option like in SysStats to enable a hover/click event on BOTH the desklet and what's under it (another desklet/the taskbar/a window). So for example you can control more than one desklet at once or - if you placed something on your taskbar - you can make it slide in and out with your taskbar...

- make a (single) desklet respond to shortcuts/mouse events: For example showcase or set desklet (or a group) from "placed on desktop" to "always on top" by simultaneous left-/right mouse click or middle button.

Hope I didn't mention something that already is possible...

I have only one request of Avedesk currently and Im sure others have similar feelings.

I would like to see a feature that allows the user to edit all the desklets as a whole.

For example, changing fonts currently is tedious, in that the user is required to select each desklet properties and manual change the fonts and other settings eg shadows, orientation.

In the global settings it would allow the user to change the desklets as a group. So that each desklet would not have to be selected to be changed.