Why are our screenshot getting removed?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Duyvan, Astyanax, and Mpampoulas are upset I support them. These members are the most important along with Andreas V.

What an elitist approach to what this forum is about!

Members abusing their moderator position (insulting, humilliating, being prepotent, smarty-attitudes) have no contribution to this forums (even when they release some minor ugly icons).

Ouch!

In the words of "the dude": "That's just like your oppinion, man."

Ok. Time to take part in this post.

First of all, I don’t have anything against Unbeliever.

But I want to ask the Admin-mods something. What’s the point of Desktop Screenshots thread? Is it to give to others ideas how to make the desktops better or not? So why to delete a post that is inspired from another post?

If somebody doesn’t want they work to be rip, they have the choice not to post their desktops.

Where exactly rules say that it isn’t allowed to post rips of unreleased themes, wallpapers or icons at the desktop thread?

Also I want to ask why users have rules and mods don’t?

A good example of a rule for the moderators is “When you delete a post you should always give full explanation why you delete it”

I have never broken any forum rules. But Unbeliever deletes my post and say:

Kids, do NOT rip and post unreleased themes unless you want me on your back.

Next time, it's a suspension

Isn’t that post against the most important rule (it’s in red colour)?

4.1. Action: Posting hateful, insulting, or threatening comments to another member via any means, even those outside of Aqua-Soft.

Result: Instant ban.

time for the online reality show that is A-S

I think this all comes down to 2 issues-- UNDERSTANDING of rules concerning RIP/WIP and CONSISTENCY/EXPLANATION of moderator behavior (or appearance of consistency).

1) THE RULES-- was there ever a final official A-S STANCE on RIPs (public release OR personal mod)? Remember what happened with eternal??? Did we learn nothing from that? It is COMMON courtesy to notify the author if you're going to rip/use their theme-- and if you want to use a personal mod and NOT DISTRIBUTE, can't you also NOT SHOW it to anyone? isn't that the point of a personal mod?

SOLUTION--> clarify and re-emphacize the policy regarding this so there is no question about proper conduct.

2) CONSISTENCY of moderator action-- it seems that the PERCEPTION of a DOUBLE STANDARD is what people are up in arms about-- and indeed, double standards are no good. If the double standard is part of a rule, then so be it and let it be known. Otherwise, just make sure that members clearly understand WHY actions are being taken, and that these simply conform to the stated rules.

SOLUTION-- > help the members CLEARLY understand reasons for actions and make an EFFORT to ADDRESS to members concerns...

I'm certain that everybody here has best of intentions (running a tight/efficient forum, or stimulating creativity and artistry), so let's everybody get re-calibrated and take a deep breath.

and if you want to use a personal mod and NOT DISTRIBUTE, can't you also NOT SHOW it to anyone? isn't that the point of a personal mod?

No is not. It’s called Personal mod because you can't distribute it because it's someone else work and you respect him.

If some people can't understand that if somebody rips their work (for personal use) is because they admire it, then they have big problem with their egos.

Isn’t that post against the most important rule (it’s in red colour)?

Wooo calm down there !

If i get a post deleted with that reason, i won't take that answer too seriously, i don't think he's insulting you or whatever, look all the topics around this board. Sometimes things are said to the mods that can be seen as insults or something hateful, were they banned ? No.

I don't wan't to search examples (too lazy tonight) but you shouldn't take that as seriously as you're taking it actually.

Laugh a litte, don't understand exactly what's written, think a little.

It's been said before that rips were blah blah.

I read that and haven't showed any desk that's a rip of a theme that was not allowed for windows,even if it's a mod who written it not an admin and that i haven't seen any author complaining about this.

So i haven't had any problems.

Now maybe timan will say that this "rule" isn't right, but don't take everything bad since someone said that the posts were deleted ...

A good example of a rule for the moderators is “When you delete a post you should always give full explanation why you delete it”

I have never broken any forum rules. But Unbeliever deletes my post and say:

Quote:

Kids, do NOT rip and post unreleased themes unless you want me on your back.

Next time, it's a suspension

So why haven't you said it before ?

Sure you are right for that rip thing (If some people can't understand that if somebody rips their work (for personal use) is because they admire it, then they have big problem with their egos.)

For the solutions i totally agree with sunb1rd.

Just my 2cents

Calm down there? His shot got removed and he was called a ripper, wouldn't you be pissed if you released something and it got removed and called a rip? I sure would. sunb1rd, i agree with some of it, but most of what you said i highly disagree with.

Havent said it before? It was shown in the screenshot thread, I would hope he wouldnt have to address the fact that an Admin called him a Kid, not to mention calling him a ripper.

People need to understand that even though something resembles a theme it may have not been ripped. The theme was inspired by AquaSE, not ripped. There is a big difference here.

You can agrue about posting rips all you want, but timan has already said before (if im not mistaken) that riped themes can be shown in the screenshot thread but not distributed.

I would have to disagree with sunb1rd, personal modifications are supposed to be for you and yourself only. If you show it to people, then you're just showing your individuality. Why would you want the same theme as everyone else, that's just plain boring. That's why it's called CUSTOMIZATION, the point of a CUSTOMIZATON forum.

I said calm down coz if you continue to argue like that it will become a flame topic, that will not help at all.

Unbe should say "sorry" to the one(s) he called rippers when they were'nt

Lets clarify all of that post delete mania and i suppose we should do like we did before (when there was no problem with that themes) , don't care about ss of unreleased themes. I like to see those cause i can see how can look the theme on windows, making me wanting to do the same, maybe we could get some skinners that started with doing themes from screenshots. If someone show a perfect theme only done with screenshots, why shouldn't he show it ? He did a lot of work on and when you got nice comments on , you are happy.

And why are we against every osx86 thread (for piracy reasons) and we let threads about dual booting xp on your mactel since it's piracy too !

Conclusion : I totally agree with smoovie and netox.

And, please, clarify the rules.

It is COMMON courtesy to notify the author if you're going to rip/use their theme

I already did that 3 times, I always got as an answer that if I don't release it I can show it, that I don't need their permission for that.

Edit : Wrong mod name

...You can agrue about posting rips all you want, but timan has already said before (if im not mistaken) that riped themes can be shown in the screenshot thread but not distributed.

So let it be written, so let it be done. :)

I actually support this rule because as mentioned, it encourages creativity and is a catalyst for innovation.

I think by now, most of us aren't rippers and aren't distro'ing mods w/o permission, and sure it'll happen now and then but our mods and community activists will surely nip such behavior promptly in the bud.

Come to think of it, I don't remember how all of this started anymore... anyway, all hail "timan's law." (see quote)

Dream_Team, NC didnt call anyone rippers, the accusations are twords Unbe.

If people post shots of themes that have a very high likelyhood of being wanted then they are asking for rips. Its plain and simple, dont want your things ripped? Dont post a shot. There is no inbetween-the-lines thought.

What gets me is, behind all this ripping of desktop themes stuff. Not one person who was the author of an unreleased theme has came to me and say... "Hey, someone on your forums has posted a desktop of this theme I am working on and I have not released it yet. Could you please remove it, or something of that nature."

So I don't know why people have a problem with people posting it, as long as they are no re-distributing it here I have no problem. AND IF YOU DO see something you did posted in someones screenshot and you feel the need for a mod or ADMIN to look at. You guys can simply send someone a private message.

So stop all the *****ing, follow the rules that are posted in the first post of the desktop thread. And go on your crappy desktop way.

Dream_Team, NC didnt call anyone rippers, the accusations are twords Unbe.

If people post shots of themes that have a very high likelyhood of being wanted then they are asking for rips. Its plain and simple, dont want your things ripped? Dont post a shot. There is no inbetween-the-lines thought.

..and when a girl wears a challenging shirt she's asking to get raped? Please Astyanax that's such a BS argument!!!!

and for the record if Unbeliever is doing such a bad job moderating, why aren't you doing something? All I hear is whining over a guy who is putting alot of his free time into keeping a clean and readerfriendly forum... but you guys keep complaining. No wonder that he doesn't have as much patience with people anymore. Cause people whine about him all the time!

uhm, im pretty sure a computer GUI is very different from a woman, so your agruement is seriously flawed. Of course, a woman could be a GUI. Let me check....

...comes back 5 mins later. Yep, their very different.

Okay, that sounds good. Ill go around and police the forums, without any control over anyone! Come on now, thats a pretty bad idea. Say your swearing, I tell you to STOP NOW!!! Will you listen to me? No one would, if someone without admin told me to cut it out i'd ignore them. Im no hall moniter. Im not like that HERES YOUR LATE PASS!! YOU GET A DETENTION kind of guy. This is not about whinning, its about getting a simple explaination for things getting deleted. And very simply, their was no reason according to Timan.

Im done with this thread, Timan has told us what the rules are, and thats all I needed to hear.

..and when a girl wears a challenging shirt she's asking to get raped? Please Astyanax that's such a BS argument!!!!

challenging=revealing?

she IS asking to get 'visually mollested' though. (or at the very least, looked at)

DISCLAIMER-- I'm speaking very generally here... some girls dress like skanks to attract attention, just as I wear wife-beaters so all the ladies can drool over my 3 inch arms. alas, I fear I've strayed from the topic.

did I say I agree with timan?

Whining against Unbe - take 184, start!

duyvan, I haven't been on AS in last 4-5 days so I know I haven't deleted anything in that time-frame. Why this thing surfaced at this time is a mystery to me but hey, I’m not going to speculate about your reasons, as I’m sure they’re valid. As for WIP themes, you just don't get it, do you? If a Mac users posts a SS of a WIP in 99.9% of the cases he has been given the theme by the artist and has been given the permission to post it. When a Windows user posts a screenshot of a WIP Mac theme in 99.9% of the cases he had RIPPED the theme from the screenshot and didn't even bother PMing the original creator. I have yet to receive a single PM/email about a Mac user posting a screenshot of a ripped WIP Mac theme.

In majority of these cases I let people know why I removed their SS (it usually is because they are either too lazy or dumb to read the rules) and in few cases where I didn't post a note, I tried to be discreet about it since I respect those posters and I thought they would realize the reason themselves. Apparently I was wrong and it has now come back to haunt me. I can promise you I won't make this mistake again.

Unreleased mods, same thing as with WIP themes. You people are not doing anything original so I wonder why you whine so much. Yes you do make great, high quality PORTS but that doesn't give you the right to act as if you made the original theme. Original ideas and creative porcess take a lot of time, while ports can be done in a day. Again, I know this sounds more harsh than I mean it but original artists ALWAYS have priority since they create stuff you port, not vice-versa. And if you want to know, I have been repeatedly contacted by Mac themers asking for SSs of their ripped themes to be removed.

Astyanax, read above. The fact that he re-created the gfx doesn't mean he didn't rip StefanKa's WIP theme. It would be the same if I re-created the Apple logo in PS and used it for my own company, I would still get sued because I did not create anything original! I took someone else's idea and presented it as my own (or used their design without permission). Also TRUST ME on this one, Mac themers are most certainly NOT flattered seeing their themes ripped. It's totally the opposite but I know it's in human nature to try and make excuses and blame it on mods/snob Mac themers/Santa.

Julieta - you want name calling? Even though I would love to say a lot of stuff to you I will even try to get down to your level of "oh-so-clever-and-subtle" personal attacks. You don't deserve any attention, not even insults. As for "some minor ugly icons" it's fun how that comes from a person who posts "friend's" stuff. I would also LOVE to see your highly praised, quality work and compare it to my own. Maybe you could give me some tips to improve?

netox, I have always equally treated rips, whether Windows or Mac but I suggest you read the first paragraph of this post. You too lcyyinyin.

Cyanide, c'mon! You can do it better than that! How about some stereotypes about tech-savy people who use computers, their weight, looks and (lack of) relationships with girls! I also see you have a trusty, if not skilled with words, side-kick in CF99.

MPAMPoULAs I suppose English is not your mother tongue but neither is it mine, so I can't blame you for not seeing the true nature of that comment. I was trying to be friendly and to let people know, in a friendly way, that what they're doing is wrong. As for the rest of your post, I really, really don't have any more patience to repeat what I’ve been saying over and over and OVER again. Read my previous posts on this subject. As a member of the staff I have an obligation to explain my actions but as a human being, I’m sick of repeating the same thing.

Ronnie - ...

sunb1rd, Timan and I may not agree on some things but I as a mod do my job to adhere to general rules and the way I interpret them. If you have any comments on how I do things here, feel free to PM Timan. I know how much he loves getting and reading PM from valuable members of AS. As for double standards, read the first paragraph. There are NO double standards, just people who think there are.

Again this has been talked about soooo many times that I apologies for not repeating for 100th time my stance on this matter. As much as some of you dislike my modus operandi, I will continue to do so until I either change my mind or step down as a mod.

In any case, please know that I don't have ANYTHING personal against any of you. I do not remove people's screenshots because I hate them, I just do my job the way I see should be done.

Now please go on with posting substantiated, well though-out posts, whining and low, pathetic and personal insults. Just don't expect me to treat you like you didn’t say anything.

PS It's late, I’m tired and had a really, really bad day so excuse my spelling and grammar errors.

EDIT: Tim the fact that you didn’t get any complaints doesn’t mean that other staff hasn’t gotten any. There have been more than one occasion where a themer/iconist/artists complained about rips.

Sorry, I have to respond. First - I dont have time to read an essay. Second, what you said twords me, True, but the apple logo is copywritten, stefanka's theme is NOT. You had no right to remove their shots. I dont care what mac themers feel like. I respect them, If i didnt I would release the AquaSE I have right this second, which you dont see me doing now do you? I dont understand why you need the big rant, you could have apologized to mpampoulas and duyvan and moved on...

As i mod i had EVERY right to remove it. And the rest of your post is, i'm sorry for this but, simply idiotic that i don't have the will to respond to it.

As for not caring what Mac themers feel like, i'd be glad to let them know about that and i'm sure you will be given permission to port their future themes ;)

As for the apology, thanks for putting a smile on my face man. I really needed a good joke :)

Austin123, i removed your post because it had no value to this matter and was rather childish. It's what we used to call "plusone" in the old days.

As i mod i had EVERY right to remove it. And the rest of your post is, i'm sorry for this but, simply idiotic that i don't have the will to respond to it.

As for not caring what Mac themers feel like, i'd be glad to let them know about that and i'm sure you will be given permission to port their future themes ;)

As for the apology, thanks for putting a smile on my face man. I really needed a good joke :)

Austin123, i removed your post because it had no value to this matter and was rather childish. It's what we used to call "plusone" in the old days.

its ok, im not longer releasing anything ;), congrats, all my stuff is now NFR :D

too bad, i have soapsky and lemon done. aww well, my buds know where to get them.

I'm not takeing sides here because I don't like SSs being removed but thats not the point. Unbe, I believe removes those screenies upon request because if he didn't the original artist would DENY permision for a port, then we'd all be sh!t out of luck. Just by removing a screenshot sometimes can mean everyone can post a screenie of a particular theme later. And I for one WANT some of those yet-to-be-released themes dammit. HAHAHA :)

Just an observance from my eyes.

Off topic .... could someone please explain the difference with the XP Osx thing to me please.

EDIT: Come on Asty ... don't punish all because you're upset at certain people/person. You know we all love your work.