Changing windows icon in Bootcamp at startup

I recently installed bootcamp, allocating windows 7GB of my 100GB sata on my Macbook Pro and all is working fine. But i am wondering is it possible to change the icon of the Windows FAT32 partition that appears during startup? (in bootcamp after holding option key)

In OSX on the desktop appears two drives, my mac partition and my windows,appear with customised icons, an apple for the mac and flag for windows, both in ICNS format.

BUT on startup when i hold down the 'alt'/'option' key, both drives appear, but only the Mac Partition has the customised logo/icon, the windows version only appears as the default HD icon from OSX...

any ideas on how to change the icon of the Windows FAT32 partition that appears on startup?

(that was all a big mouthful i know)

thanx in advance...

yay thankyou Shmengie... abbazabba, im a perfectionist... if i have a logo on one side and not the other it wont be even. ever seen the show Monk? i'm the Monk of the customisation world, and i assure you i cant meditate if i cant get a cool logo for my windows partition, if i have an apple logo on one side and just a HD on the other it looks unbalanced...

any ideas anyone... ?

try placing the ocon as the default for the drive in XP, to do that create an ICO file and put it in the root of the drive, then create an autorun.ini file with the following in it

icon="NAME OF ICON FILE HERE WITH THE .ICO EXTENTION", 0

and save it, if that doesnt work then i dont know what to tell you, YET

Lanboy.. Bootcamp runs on Mac OSX. Autorun.inf won't work on it. He doesn't want the Icon of the drive to be shown in Explorer (cause that trick works only on Windows).

He wants to change the icon in Boot Loader (BootCamp) of Mac OSX !!

yes... its confusing...

so does bootcamp load from the EFI? or does it load from part of OSX?... confusing indeed...

if it loads from OSX then i should be able to hack the bootcamp file somehow or replace the images or something... the fact that it let me change the Apple partition's logo makes me think its in OSX somewhere, but for some reason it treats the windows partition different...

*my theory is this; EFI is where bootcamp is, and bootcamp is able to talk to OSX and share resources- hence where it gets the icon from for both my customised logo, and the default drive logo (for windows).

Because EFI is not compatible with Windows XP, a standard icon is loaded from an icon cache in OSX itself... so if i can somehow change the EFI to get the icon file for the windows partition from OSX file system and not the standard OSX icon cache then it might work...

or perhaps if i change the standard icon cache IN OSX completely (like replacing a windows shell) then it might also work (by replacing the HD icon with the windows one)... any programs that are able to do this?...*

*did that make any sense?... if not then any ideas of yours are welcome- links to possible icon caches or programs would be worth my while probably....

I doubt that EFI will have anything to do with BootLoader. EFI is.. in simple words BIOS of Next Gen !

Boot Camp is basically BootLoader, which if I'm correct Resides on Hard Drive (on a master boot record). So I guess a little digging around should reveal info about it.

maybe setting the default drive icon in OS X to the windows icon, then using candybar to set the MAC hard drive icon?

i have no problem in customising the mac's hardrive icon, only the windows one... it customises fine in OSX, but in bootcamp the windows icon just appears as the standard HD icon.

So i'll try candy bar, and replace the "Standard HD icon" with a custom one and see what happens...

i'll try and upload an example in a picture soon to show what i mean...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

BUMP

this little mystery has still not been solved.... and it still bugs me, and no doubt others like yourselves.... so rather than post a new thread...

Just to clarify, I (we) are looking for a way to change the icons in bootcamp so that during startup when you hold down the 'option' key, two customised icons appear.

It is currently possible to change the Mac OSX's partition's icon using finder, but with the XP (or linux/other) you can change the icon in Mac OSX BUT it does NOT show up during startup, in the bootloader.

With new revisions of Bootcamp, there may have been changes that allow us to customise both partition icons within the bootloader that we have not yet explored.

Does anyone know how the bootloader works (ie- has anyone hacked it apart yet?)