Rosie - Community Preview (Finder Bar)

rosie10.png

Version 1.0 Coming soon...

Features:

• Completely rewritten, utilizing a new menu capture technique which is now 100% stable!
  • Ability to capture all menu's, utilizing a framework for special cases.
  • Native 64-bit version available.
  • Ability to cross the WoW64 bridge and capture 32-bit menus from 64-bit Rosie.
  • Skins have now been simplified. There are now simply zip folders.
  • Skins now support transparency, for that leopard look.
  • Completely reworked API, to facilitate third party additions. (Complete SDK, with examples in the works)

holy shababolables... this sounds soo tight !! XD cant wait till this release :D

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping with the nature of "Community Preview", I will let you guys take a peek at what I've done so far. Skins are now simply zip folders, open them up and you'll understand how it works, so start making some!

previewqmb.th.png

Things missing:

• Haven't coded the menu scroll over effect (i.e. you have to click each menu item to open it)
  • Does not save configuration
  • Preference dialog is totally incomplete
  • Translations. Included Japanese language file is just to test Unicode support.

It's pretty much feature complete, (I usually save the boring bits till last). Let me know what you all think!

Rosie_1.0_x86_Preview_.zip

Rosie_1.0_x64__Preview_.zip

Edited by keane

Firefox Menus display but when trying to use any they do nothing.Firefox Bookmarks menu shows no Dropdown menu when clicked on.

Window explorer shows nothing but "Explorer"(no file, edit, view) this should be customizable also to use the word "Finder".

Photoshop does display its menu but the menu is still with Photoshop also but not active. And Rosie's dropdown menus are working but no text displaying. So I cannot use either.

Utorrent same way both menus on with Rosie and one with Utorrent. Although the menu for Rosie is working.

Also does not work with iTunes.

I use Windowblinds so that could be the double menu problem.

I use Windowblinds so that could be the double menu problem.

Most likely. Utorrent, etc. works perfectly fine on my end.

As you have stated a few applications use special menu's that need to individually be implemented, those are being worked on but are secondary since technically they are "add-ons".

Rosie does work with all native window's menus, such as the menu's in notepad, winrar, utorrent, etc.. Unfortunately a lot of applications decide to implement their menu's in their own special propriety way, which is of course ridiculous and near impossible to use a generic capture method. This means that a custom menu handler must be written (i.e. in the Menus folder "firefox.dll" etc).

Keeping with the nature of "Community Preview", I will let you guys take a peek at what I've done so far. Skins are now simply zip folders, open them up and you'll understand how it works, so start making some!

previewqmb.th.png

Things missing:

• Haven't coded the menu scroll over effect (i.e. you have to click each menu item to open it)
  • Does not save configuration
  • Preference dialog is totally incomplete
  • Translations. Included Japanese language file is just to test Unicode support.

It's pretty much feature complete, (I usually save the boring bits till last). Let me know what you all think!

wow its way more stable than the previous versions love it :D but i dont get any menus though :( it just says the app name

will the menus be sinkable like in objectbar???

Rosie does work with all native window's menus, such as the menu's in notepad, winrar, utorrent, etc.. Unfortunately a lot of applications decide to implement their menu's in their own special propriety way, which is of course ridiculous and near impossible to use a generic capture method. This means that a custom menu handler must be written (i.e. in the Menus folder "firefox.dll" etc).

Then you may want to add an ignore list for applications as I said before while Rosie is running I cannot use Photoshop neither menus work.

@aquawelt: try renaming the file from .rskin to .zip and then opening it. Or I think you can simply choose to open it with winrar, winzip etc, they should recognize that it is a zip file.

@Ghostwalker: It is planned to be implemented for the release version. I appreciate your feedback.

I also tried a skin my problem is after I zipped it and renamed to rskin it returned an error and crashed. I think Rosie is close with the menus. It displays all the menus in Photoshop and submenus just no text in the menus. It would be fantastic to have Rosie work with Photoshop menus no other finder bar came this close.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • 2 weeks later...

I get the same problem as yanquis. I've reverted to the older version.

I'm using XP SP2. It might have to do with my Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, but it's already on the trusted list.

So I'm going to use the old version first.

Also, Photoshop CS3 does work on mine. The menus are gone, replaced by the ones in Rosie, good job. Only concern is that I only get grey rectangles where the list items should be. Passing over with my mouse displays the items permanently, but if I switch the menu (like going from File- Edit), I have to redo the pass-over with my mouse.

Any ideas?

(Also, how do I skin it to look like Leopard?

Installer? there is no installer, it whole program comes zipped

and the reason for the hxxp is because when i try to post a link, or an img i get this message...

So next time instead of critizing my program because of stupid restrictions, how bout you actually try it for yourself, and you can't scan for viruses yourself?

Well said.

And as for the guy who said he's not trying it because it's an executable, what planet does he live on? What does he run? Text files?

Just ignore the critics.

Do not double post - mps69

So Version 1 has not actually came out yet? only a preview. Ive got the preview now but some things did not work. eg system shutdown, log off, sleep. The Menus also wont work for me with Photoshop CS3, the come up in the bar but i have to scroll over them to get them to come up!. I am running Vista Home Basic? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Shade
The Menus also wont work for me with Photoshop CS3, the come up in the bar but i have to scroll over them to get them to come up!. I am running Vista Home Basic? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

They also won't work with Safari, Windows Live Messenger 2009 and Explorer, it just shows the app name. I hope this gets fixed on later builds 'cuz this seems very promising :)