Rosie - Community Preview (Finder Bar)

To everyone using Rosie: This is a picture of mine. I changed the default icon of legacy.dll to some that I wanted.

IMPORTANT!: The Volume, Spotlight, and Heart icon all go to the same process, which means they aren't functional at all. I'm not good with code, so they are only there for display purposes only!

How to use:

1) Download

2) Copy Applets folder from .zip file to your Rosie directory

3) If you are prompted to replace folder, say yes

4) Restart Rosie and enjoy

post-84755-1233455306_thumb.png

Applets.zip

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks man, now if only someone could fix the problem with xwd (if that happens I wwill use Rosie as a permanent finderbar)

just one thing, whenever i'm running firefox with rosie, all I get is firefox on rosie, no file,edit, view, etc., how to I add them?

I don't think that Rosie was designed to do this with every window. I believe that Keane did not get to finish this completely. Like I said before, this app wasn't finished all the way, so it won't be perfect.

Firefox has it's own menu system, it doesn't use Windows' one.

Probably the right way would be to write a firefox.dll thing for Rosie, to have the menu in Rosie too (there is an explorer.dll one currently) and then use some Firefox add-on to hide Firefox's menu.

The only problem is Keane didn't leave an specification of how do these DLLs work. Or at least I couldn't find them. :(

Firefox has it's own menu system, it doesn't use Windows' one.

Probably the right way would be to write a firefox.dll thing for Rosie, to have the menu in Rosie too (there is an explorer.dll one currently) and then use some Firefox add-on to hide Firefox's menu.

The only problem is Keane didn't leave an specification of how do these DLLs work. Or at least I couldn't find them. :(

What programs are you using for the .dll files?

To develop DLLs (I mean actually writing code) I use Delphi, however there is no specification from Keane's (AFAIK) so I can't do much on that.

Also I usually resource-hack the DLLs with either Resource Hacker or XN Resource Editor. I guess you do it too, because you publish customized version of the applets. :)

• 2 weeks later...

wow the leopard skin iz amazing

i think this is an amazing app but its still needs alot of work but i love it cuz it hides the menus but its kinda buggy cuz when i minimize to my dock [xwindows dock] the whole program freezes and i gatta shut the comp off but still great app :) s

someone should keep it going cuz the creator probably isnt going to and he had a great idea

wow the leopard skin iz amazing

i think this is an amazing app but its still needs alot of work but i love it cuz it hides the menus but its kinda buggy cuz when i minimize to my dock [xwindows dock] the whole program freezes and i gatta shut the comp off but still great app :) s

someone should keep it going cuz the creator probably isnt going to and he had a great idea

Well the plan is to keep development with this application, but the hard part about fixing the bugs is that parts of the code are needed that the developer didn't release before leaving. This code is a big portion of the things needed, and without it someone would have to revamp the whole application. It would be much easier to just make a whole new application instead of messing with this one. It is a great application, but I don't think that it is appropriate to mod and hack someone's application without their discretion. If someone knew how to contact the Developer then they should ask him for the source code. That would be a great start.

Plus, I'm trying to learn Visual Basic myself so my skills aren't that strong yet, but I can still make one heck of a skin, ha ha!

Well the plan is to keep development with this application, but the hard part about fixing the bugs is that parts of the code are needed that the developer didn't release before leaving. This code is a big portion of the things needed, and without it someone would have to revamp the whole application. It would be much easier to just make a whole new application instead of messing with this one. It is a great application, but I don't think that it is appropriate to mod and hack someone's application without their discretion. If someone knew how to contact the Developer then they should ask him for the source code. That would be a great start.

Plus, I'm trying to learn Visual Basic myself so my skills aren't that strong yet, but I can still make one heck of a skin, ha ha!

lol :P yea i guess it would b mest up if someone hacked someone elses app

but hopefully someone creates one similar but without the bugs ;)

i would love to do it cept i dont know how to make apps ='(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a feeling something was happening. Its great to see people still squeezing everything they can out of little Rosie.

I have a new version 0.5 but first, Matonga I would like to discuss with you what changes you made and attempt to merge them.

.... one day late on the 3 year anniversary!

Edited by keane

Slated for 0.7:

I am hoping to implement a vista/windows 7 style of being able to customize which icons are directly visible and which are hidden in a "sub" tray icon

Also vista styled 'glass' support, so that leopard styled menu bars can be more native looking.

But first for 0.6:

I must make rosie more stable, which means completely reconsidering design decisions made 3 years ago :blink:...

I will not be releasing rosie until it completely stops locking systems up randomly, this is a persisting bug which unfortunately is a product of its complexity (i.e. completely rewriting system level functions to acquire foreign menu items).

I had a feeling something was happening. Its great to see people still squeezing everything they can out of little Rosie.

I have a new version 0.5 but first, Matonga I would like to discuss with you what changes you made and attempt to merge them.

.... one day late on the 3 year anniversary!

Ok, I'll PM you all details by this night or tomorrow. BTW, did you leave a gmail address at my site's chat? If that's right then sorry for not contacting you before, didn't know it was you. :D