FindeXer

@Elijio - I am sorry, but I have been away for a little while, I am now back. As for your problem, I can not recreate it on any machine i try and i can not imagine what would cause it not to show on the Explorer Bars menu without some kind of restriction by your OS. Please PM me with your contact info (msn/icq contact) so i can further investigate this.

@Renn - It is the correct behaviour - Winkey+E is the windows shortcut key for "Explore" action - which is to browse with the tree view. I will not override that, as i'm assuming when someone uses it he aims to "Explore".

However - If you wish to use the Winkey+E on your machine and have it open a window with FindeXer then you must change the registry info that the Explore Action contains to that of the Open Action.

Warning - the following may alter your OS behaviour in a way that you will not like, and may not be able to recover from if not done properly. For the love of god - DO NOT do this unless you absolutely know what you are doing, I will not help you if you screw things up!

1. Back up your Registry.
  2. Open up regedt32.exe (the registry editor) and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->Folder->shell
  3. Rename the "Explore" key to something like "Explore With TreeView"
  4. Export the "Open" key to a file on your desktop and name it "explore.reg"
  5. Open up "explore.reg" with notepad (or whatever your favorite text editor may be) replace every instance of "open" in that file with "explore"
  6. Run the "explore.reg" file adding it to your registry and if need be restart the Explorer process.

basically, what we just did is copy the open action to the explore action while retaining the ability to use the old explore action and the old open action...

- that's what i did on my machine and it works fine, if it messes yours up - tough, not my fault :P

hope it helps anyone, but i definitely won't be enforcing this. so don't ask for it...

@storm119 - it is not a bug, FindeXer does not implement dynamic awareness of PIDL changes. so naturally it will only change when you load it again and it is re-read...

Dynamic awareness is only planned for V1.2.

@All - thanks for the complements - i'm glad you are all finding it useful and enjoyful. Build #4 is almost done (should be here next week) - it fixes the last of the small tracking bugs that were reported (hopefully...) and adds full control over tootipping as well as tooltipping while dragging items both internally and externally - so if you are using the items only mode and drop something on an item - you know what you are dropping on...

One of my friends has also gotten a new mac to play with, so i will be looking into it's behaviour under different scenarios and taking the behaviours i think are good.

However, since i have been getting requests, let me emphasize :

While FindeXer was inspired by the mac finderbar, it is not an imitation and is aimed at making the use of MS Windows Explorer and Windows XP better, please do not request similar behaviour just for the sake of it, only if it useful for operation ;)

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@storm119 - it is not a bug, FindeXer does not implement dynamic awareness of PIDL changes. so naturally it will only change when you load it again and it is re-read...

Dynamic awareness is only planned for V1.2.

Thanks for the info's ..... and good to hear its planned to include in future release (V1.2) :D

+110 ;)

alianyn:

I have BIG problem.

1. I install VC++ runtimes

2. I click register.bat - success

3. Works fine but why FindeXer forbidden Explorer Context Menu ?

4. I unistall by clicking unregister.bat - success

5. Explorer Context Menu dont works! ( I reboot explorer.exe few times, I rest system and STILL the same problem!)

//Rudeness Removed. -NC

//Offtopic Posts Deleted (it sure is sweet how you guys all rush to defend our developers though! :P)

deteer, I understand it can be frustrating, but keep in mind--this is free, warrantless software. You use it at your own risk and frankly, we're lucky that our developers are good enough that their programs are 98% bug-free. I'm sure your question will be answered ASAP--no need to snap at the developer. Consider this a warning ;).

alianyn, first of all let me THX to ya for this blaster.

I think the problem isnt with your proggie (current ver.), i've installed it and simply works fine n i have lots of other shell hooker stuff installed. (XPsp2, wb5.0.1, wfx3.0, üi1.0.2.38, vtt, inactive dx3.1 and inactive styler1.40) Maybe a previous version left something wrong on those machines, or other finder like stuff killed them.

I'll be back soon with some facts and tips i found, just throw them among you've already got :)

TIP: dont kill explorer after register, hit a pure computer restart instead!

@chermany4ever - what you are describing sounds like a leak. But i have thoroughly tested every version released so far by hand (comparing gdi resources and memory usage) on 2 different machines, and i believe that if it was leaking - I'd have gotten a LOT more reports.

I think it must be some other app installed on your machine, especially since you mentioned slower browsing, which i can't think of any way FindeXer could cause.

Well, I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but, in my pc, I've noticed that after a while coming and going, findexer seems to accumulate "something" making the navigation more and more slower... until finally explorer crashes. Any clue? :o

Happening to me too, my explorer is really slow now and I bang my computer everytime I open a folder..