Flag for Arabic language

Ludge

Hey all, got a bit of a weird one here:

I'm just accumulating images of flags for displaying localisations on a web page and have hit a bit of a snag. I want to display a flag flag signifying the Arabic language.

Now obviously it would be a bit provocative to choose any one particular countries flag, so does anyone know if there is a single image representing the language or will I have to make one up?

Well the flat out answer would be - There isn't a single flag that represents Arabs. They are different nations with surprisingly different customs, traditions and dialects.

I guess you could go with the Saudi flag or perhaps the Egyptian one. Perhaps a generic flag with the words 'Arabic Language' on it? If I can find my qwerty Keyboard i'd gladly take a snapshot of the those words in Arabic for you ....

A green flag with a white crescent somewhere would probably suffice as well while avoiding the particulars of Saudi Arabia's flag. On the other hand, Arabic is to Saudi Arabia as German is to Germany as English is to Great Britain (at least on every website that doesn't cater to the US). Many Middle Eastern countries don't speak Arabic as a primary language anyways making the flag of Saudi Arabia even more appropriate as opposed to a generic one. Even then, the spread of Islam, and with it Arabic, originated from Saudi Arabia in the first place.

Most importantly, when someone says Arabic, the first flag that pops into mind is the Saudi flag, not some other mishmash original symbol.

Well the flat out answer would be - There isn't a single flag that represents Arabs. They are different nations with surprisingly different customs, traditions and dialects.

I realise this, that's why I asked for something that represented the language rather than the people.

A green flag with a white crescent somewhere would probably suffice as well while avoiding the particulars of Saudi Arabia's flag.

Thanks gnome, when I searched for 'arabic' & 'green', this thread turned up. I think I'll go with their method of a plain green flag. I mean pretty much every website you see uses the union jack for English, even if it's for American/Australian sites.

sorry for replying too late to the thread but just for historical background ....yes the Saudi Arabia flag is most famous to represent Arabic language ...simply cause its from where Arabic (as gnome mentioned) originated even before Islam .. but to correct him i just have to say that most middle eastern countries do have Arabic as a primary language with some exceptions ....i live in Egypt and we have it as our primary language ....but all in all ..go for the Saudi Flag ...