What effect will Vista skinning have on XP skins?

The msstyle has already been cracked without the use of Stardock products. Jehamo has made one that is natively supported by vista. It's over at DeviantArt if you're interested - includes the cracked dll to use unsigned third-party visual styles.

Edit: Here a link to that skin: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45118492/ and one for a Bister theme: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45431312/

yes, i was planning on asking this as well, because i don't plan on upgrading...

Be serious now, you never create threads :P .

MSStyles may survive. There will definitely be some changes with the image files that will be used and their dimensions. If Vista even supports MSStyles. There may be some updates that WindowBlinds will need after the official release, and still, you may need the skin to be "Vista compatible", but it will evolve.

It's pretty much the same with every new version of OS X and ShapeShifter. They add new things, and the skinner needs to add those new things into the skin. I don't think it will completely break it, but there will need to be updates to your favorite skins.

Well kind of wizard, but with Vista everything is completely different, the layouts for themes are very different. You don't simply find new parts to skin.

Windowblinds has the ability to use XP skins in Vista. They are not 100% perfect but they do work fairly well.

As for fonts, well, they seem fine to me. Anyone that switches from one OS to another over fonts is... err... nevermind.

Depends on how popular Vista becomes, there is alot more potential in regular msstyles in Vista. I dont think you have anything to worry about right away.

@Ertai88: So far I haven't seen a skinstudio for Vista in the works, no news about it actually. Once it comes out Im sure I'll start porting themes over to Vista ;)

There is no way to answer that with any certainty. This is kinda the first time that Windows has switched an operating system that was as customizable as XP. It depends on how bad Vista actually is (either security or developing wise), then that will influence on how many people actually make the upgrade. The more the people upgrade to Vista, the faster XP skins come to an end. Well, we'll find out tonight.

Now taking offers for when Service Pack 1 will be out, and the necessity of it.

Well I don't think skinning XP is going to stop. We are not going to stop developing applications such as Windowblinds for XP, and not everyone is migrating to Vista right now.

Now as far as .mssytyles goes, you can use SkinStudio to convert existing XP .msstyles to work with Windowblinds on Vista. Windowblinds 5.5 will be released very soon, and it is working great on Windows Vista.

@Ertai88: So far I haven't seen a skinstudio for Vista in the works, no news about it actually. Once it comes out Im sure I'll start porting themes over to Vista ;)

SkinStudio 5.5 is in development and the targeted release is this Spring.

:)