IconBox v0.1

• 1 year later...

i was really super happy with the quality of iconbox's conversions- i used it for a while, but when i switched laptops i had a hard time finding it again (b/c of the above mentioned problem of several other apps having the same name)- then i discovered that there was a newer version, but under a different name (toycon, which again, is mentioned above). strangely, i swear the quality of conversion isn't as nice as it was when it was called iconbox! i know- how is that possible right? i have no clue. but thankfully, i was able to find (after much time searching), a download for the iconbox version (if you search the crystalxp forums, you can find it- i will try to go back to it & post the link here if anyone is interested). i'm teling you though, for some reason the conversion quality is better w/ iconbox than with toycon- even though it's the exact same friggin app w/ only a few minor changes (changes that would in no way, i'd think, effect the conversion quality). Anyway, i'll go see if i can't find that link.

*Also, just to add, i still have yet to find a PNG to ICO converter that does anywhere near as good a job as converticon.com - i've tried every popular PNG to ICO that there is, and converticon.com is the best- a lot of times i will convert the same PNG w/ 2 or 3 different converters & compare which one looks the best- and while there may be a random one here & there that converts better with one of the other apps (such as iconbox), for the most part, converticon.com produces the best results. The only problem w/the site though, is that you can only convert 1 PNG at a time, which seriously takes FOREVER when you have more than just a handful of conversions- it would be awesome if they could add the ability to batch process, or if they would release an app. Another, shockingly, popular app is AveIconifier- out of all the PNG to ICO's that i've tried, this produces the worst conversions- the edges are always rough & dark. I am always so shocked to see people recommending it & touting it in forums- i hated the results it gave. The only thing i find it useful for is doing quick conversions from ico to png (which too, are not the best quality, but not nearly as bad as its png to ico conversions).

I hope that i gave some helpful information to someone looking for a good PNG to ICO conversion tool.

nice post misselysia; welcome to AS.

I agree with your opinion on AveIconifier. As much as I appreciate Andreas for his many contributions and the many hours his apps have taken from my life while customizing long since gone PCs, I've always been vocal that people should not use that program since it produces less-than-stellar results (being polite) and releasing that kind of App with the instant popularity of AveApps, would mean a fast proliferation of poorly converted icons. Though this is not so much an issue now as it might have been once back in the day.

Oh, and http://converticon.com/ is nice. I've used that website many times to convert singles. I've never tried IcoFx but it looks like quite a robust program, thanks for the link SirSmiley.