Improperly patched UxTheme.dll: cannot use computer

I had a Vista theme installed in my xp for a while. everything went ok until tow weeks after the installation.

When I start windows, it give me this message " lsass.exe -unable to locate component, This application failed to start because UxTheme.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." the whole screen is black after the welcome screen. "userinit.exe -unable to locate component, ..." after i clicked (OK), "explorer.exe - unable to locate component..."(and same UxTheme.dll message) the mouse moves just fine, just that the screen stays black instead of showing normal desktop with icons and start at the bottom.

I tried control-alt-delete, it gives me "taskmgr.exe - ...." I can't go anywhere from there!

I have folders that are valuable to me, I can't access it now...I really regret installing the theme on my xp. is there a way to replace UxTheme.dll without being able to login? Please I need help

Hmm...now that i think about it Safe Mode won't work.

Ok, to copy over.

1.)Insert your CD

2.)Boot up, and go into BIOS. Tell it to boot from your CD

3.)Save and exit, restart.

4.)It will come up with a repair option.

This is as much as i know, i haven't encountered such a thing. Sorry mate :( Good luck!

I had a Vista theme installed in my xp for a while. everything went ok until tow weeks after the installation.

When I start windows, it give me this message " lsass.exe -unable to locate component, This application failed to start because UxTheme.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." the whole screen is black after the welcome screen. "userinit.exe -unable to locate component, ..." after i clicked (OK), "explorer.exe - unable to locate component..."(and same UxTheme.dll message) the mouse moves just fine, just that the screen stays black instead of showing normal desktop with icons and start at the bottom.

I tried control-alt-delete, it gives me "taskmgr.exe - ...." I can't go anywhere from there!

I have folders that are valuable to me, I can't access it now...I really regret installing the theme on my xp. is there a way to replace UxTheme.dll without being able to login? Please I need help

Press ctrl-alt-delete, and then when Task Manager opens, do the following:

File-->New Task-->Browse

Using this method, you'll be able to copy over the new uxtheme.dll file that AppleThink linked you to. It's not a bad idea to keep a backup of the old (broken) one, though.

But yeah, once you have the "Browse" window open, you can use the right-click button on your mouse to rename/copy/paste things.

Hope this helps,

-NC

• 1 year later...

ummm i got my itunes on there and i dont wanna redownload all of my music for my ipod and i got really important documents on there

and nothing does show up i cant bring up Task manger

but i was trying to system restore from something called Adavanced Boot setting or something like that

but it didnt work but im going to try it again i just have to figure out how to get to Start Repair

//Posts Merged. Read the board rules about double posting. -NC

• 3 weeks later...