Illegal moving of user32.dll

Hi guys,

I have Flyakite OSX installed (not using the VS though - just the shell icons) and I need help - I updated my Win Xp a few days ago and since then my calculator won't work any more.

I get an error message:

--

calc.exe - Illegal system-dll relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:WindowsSystem32SHELL32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

--

Some users of the Vista Transformation pack had the same problem.

Is there a way to fix it? Or do I really have to uninstall it?

If yes - whats the easiest way to modify the shell icons (Startmenu, Controlpanel, etc...)

Thanks heaps.

http://www.osx-e.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28345&postcount=36

This has been discussed. Don't know if there's any other solution. Microsoft did release a hotfix for a similar error, but that involves another file. Not shell32.dll :( Let's hope someone finds a proper solution to this...Btw, why does the thread title say "Release". I'd opened this thread with the hope that someone had made a patch to fix this problem, :P

This is due to either chinese versions of XP I believe or one of the character packages for XP. Crap I can't remember it's been so long, haha.

Either way, the reason is that shell32.dll is larger than 9mb and it causes those problems in those particular scenarios.

The solution is to install FlyakiteOSX using the 48x48 icon option, not the 128x128. This will keep the file size below that and shouldn't cause any problems. Of course if you use icons larger than 48x48 it will affect you, otherwise you won't notice a difference.

Er..Er..I found a working solution!! The problem was incompatibilty with a microsoft hotfix. The solution is to remove that hotfix. Just go to add-remove programs and remove the windows hotfix called: KB925902 . That's it! :D

@flyakite, this problem occured as soon as windows update completed. The incompatibility also occurs with other third party transformation packs. Btw, i know you must have gotten used to praise by now, but still, your transformation pack is very cool! Thanks a lot for making it!! :):)

Edit: There's another solution for those wanting to keep the update installed. Here: http://forum.crystalxp.net/index.php?showtopic=18709

• 5 weeks later...
This is due to either chinese versions of XP I believe or one of the character packages for XP. Crap I can't remember it's been so long, haha.

Either way, the reason is that shell32.dll is larger than 9mb and it causes those problems in those particular scenarios.

The solution is to install FlyakiteOSX using the 48x48 icon option, not the 128x128. This will keep the file size below that and shouldn't cause any problems. Of course if you use icons larger than 48x48 it will affect you, otherwise you won't notice a difference.

Sorry, for not replying a long time.

Well the version of Xp here is german, so I guess thats not it.

When I look into the Current User settings of Flyakite OSX, the check is (and was always) set at "Keep Current (32)".

Has there been any other solutions? (Apart from that selfhacking dll one)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

neither this solution didnt help me.. and looking for the hotfix under control panel.. aside from control panel can we uninstall the hotfix or delete it manually? if yes were can i find it? /windows?

thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this happened to me a little while ago and a whole lot of applications didnt work. i had re-installed flyakite so i could get the Microsoft icons like osxs for the 2007 suit and when i installed flyakite i put that i wanted 128x128 icons instead of 48x48 and the problem started then i went back and chose 48 icons and the error stopped... this might be another cause mabey??? lol :P