WWDC 07 Discussion

69 members have voted

1. 1.

• Leopard and/or the New iLife suite (lets face it, iMovie and iPhoto are getting a bit stale)
    • Illuminous (the new aqua)
    • New Macbook
    • New iMac
    • New Mac Pro
    • New Mac Mini and/or Media Center
    • Apple TV Tuner dongle (look it up)
    • New iPod 6th Generation
    • Other (please explain....)

It comes June 11, Steve will have his big fancy keynote.

speculation, rumours, facts...

Elaborate on your ideas for these products you voted for in the poll. -NC

www.apple.com

Pre WWDC releases;

* Apple TV with 160Gb HDD

* iTunes Plus (DRM-Free Songs)

* Youtube/Apple Tv integration

*iPhone

-too much innovation to list.

* Macbook update

- Intel core 2 duo 2 & 2.16 ghz

- 1-2gb ram

- Combo Drive- Dual Layer super drive

- 80/120/160/200 gb HDD

* Macbook Pro update

- Intel core 2 duo 2.2 & 2.4 ghz

- 2-4 gb Ram

- 8x Dual layer super drive

- NVidia GeForce 8600M 128mb/256mb graphics card

-120/160gb HDD

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, should have waited...this thread will fizzle out around June 6th-8th :P.

-NC

aww... dont be such a ...umm... thing... yes.

Usually theres some stuff added onto the Apple store website before WWDC... and theres not been much so far, Macbook updates (*yawn*... ok good if thats what u were after I guess), iTunes Plus (DRM-Free songs), ...

Hey I was going to attatch a poll (but then closed that window and logged off etc), is there anyway to re-add one, it will add a little interest to the thread...

Leopard preview i guess :)

aww... dont be such a ...umm... thing... yes.

Usually theres some stuff added onto the Apple store website before WWDC... and theres not been much so far, Macbook updates (*yawn*... ok good if thats what u were after I guess), iTunes Plus (DRM-Free songs), ...

Hey I was going to attatch a poll (but then closed that window and logged off etc), is there anyway to re-add one, it will add a little interest to the thread...

What is DRM-Free songs ?

I was that engrossed about the interface and the usage of the phone I didn't even hear the Voiceover.

Anyway predictions:

I will be surprised if theres anything about the iPhone in the keynote.. that will have its own Launch seperately.

Mac mini will be gone.

iMac update across range

Macbook Pro updates new graphics chips in existing line of Macbooks.

iPods.... maybe.... iPhonesque full screen ipods its coming but might be another one off event before the winter holidays.

ilife & iWork 07, has to be launched otherwise might aswell skip it and go on to '08

Should be a good one, although Leopard is gonna be the main agenda I'm expecting some niiiiiiiice things.

I dont believe the mac mini will not be gone, but its purpose will change I think... yes dare I say it, the "Mac Media Center" with a built in TV Tuner.

I know what you're thinking, why would Apple want to do that when they've just released the Apple TV?

Well, for a start the Apple tv cant record tv, it only streams media. which is great for those already with a wireless network etc.... but what about the person who just wants ONE box to rule them all?

Frontrow (2) may be its entire operating system... a system of elegant menus that allow you to add whatever media (photos, music and videos from the itunes store, usb stick/HD or cds) you like to the internal hard drive, as well as record and watch digital and analogue TV as well as DVDs (maybe blue ray or HD lol)...

And you'll navigate it all using the Apple remote through context sensitive sections (similar to the current frontrow only more).

There will be no need for a mouse. but maybe a wireless keyboard (for typing in names etc)... and like an ipod the main menu will be customisable with what you put in it. There will be modules you can add as well such as ichat, ical lite, safari lite, pages lite.... etc.... it will be developed fundamentally for the home user.

I feel it's too late for iWork '07. If they do release it at this point, they'll probably slap '08 on it. There only one thing I want from it, a spreadsheet program. I've been advocating that since iWork's initial release, and I think it's crucial if Apple wants to compete with Microsoft Office.

I think the Mac Mini sales are strong enough to justify its expanded life. At least in comparison to the G4 Cube. The Mini has generated many switchers. Making it a media center could be a nice way to go, and is completely feasible, but I don't think it will be right now. Maybe next year since they just announced a larger HD Apple TV.

We could see G6 iPod, but I fear that it will not be an iPhone look-a-like. They would want the iPhone to stand out for a while and releasing a iPod based off of it will only confuse people.

A Safari update is in order. Though, this will probably coincide with Leopard's release.

One thing that I really want from Leopard; group folders together in Finder, like in Explorer. It makes it much easier to browse.

What are the options you want in the poll? Either PM me or reply here, and I can add a poll...

wizard, I agree with you on the folder grouping, but I doubt it's going to happen. I'm wondering why everyone predicts the Mac Minis will disappear. Did they not sell well? Isn't there a market for a $500 Mac? I thought it was a great idea, personally.

-NC

They wont upgrade the macbook's yet maybe august time but not yet.

17" iMac is going its too small anyways. Cheaper 20" with santa rosa and bigger screens in the iMac possibly 30"

MacMini upgraded if not scrapped!

And Leopard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why does everyone dislike the minis so much??? they're great!

What I like best about them is... well of course thier size and portability.

I mean, my parents have one and its great just to take it around to a friend's place, hoook it up to thier TV and show them photos in frontrow....

Sure, the mini isnt forr everyone (as it lacks graphical prowess and horsepower) but in having the Mini, Apple cover the three main sections of the computing market; people with a budget (Mini), People who want a good deal of power without the mucking around and cluster (iMac), and then the people with lots of cash who want the best (Mac Pro)

I don't dis-like the Mini I just think we will see the end of it, not to the extent of there being no Sub $500 Mac.

But a new Sub $500 Mac...

I think you may be right about iLife '08 would make sense as well, keeping the annual release tied to WWDC.

Still convinced we will see a Macbook Graphics Tweak, its the weakest link at the moment surely.

Still convinced we will see a Macbook Graphics Tweak, its the weakest link at the moment surely.
What I was thinking (and disappointed) when apple refreshed MBs. I expected them to at least bump current graphic chip (GMA950) to newer Intel chip (X3100 or X3000 at least)... since apple would like to keep MBs in budget category, I doubt we will see discreet graphics on MBs (unless nVidia or ATi release really cheap mobile chipset)

hmm...I agree with iGo, I see little point adding a graphics card to the smaller sized macbook...

ok perhaps a little GPU wouldnt go astray, but thats really the only thing besides the aluminium shell that seperates the macbook from the Macbook pro.

Because if you were to add a GPU to the Macbook it would likely need to be increased in size (to MBP size).

The lower end macbook is aimed mainly at students who 1) arent into gaming as such 2) dont need the extra graphical abilities for umm... say... photoshop.

Adding a graphics card would only increase size and cost, thus causing a product which doesnt meet its target audience.

If you want the graphics card (like I did when I was a student/gamer/photoshopper), then fork out the extra cash, go for the slightly larger size and get a pro.

Apple store is down... being updated... here come the Macbook Pro updates ;)

Previous iBooks had self contained graphics chips that didn't suck the life from the rest of the system memory... admittedly they were nothing blazing but the current chips are a bit lame.

As for forking out 'extra cash' its not just a little extra cash its at least a 3rd more of the price. I appreciate what your saying about cost and need but surely theres a better balance.

not bad.... it has begun... lol.

pretty good upgrade, makes my macbook pro (1st gen, 2ghz duo 1, 1gb ram) look old..... awww... but it doesnt really tempt me to upgrade... perhaps the ram, thats all.

what is Wifi-N? does it just have a stronger signal than normal wi-fi?

Also, LED backlit... I think my original MBP has that (the keyboard lights up in the dark, and the screen has an extra brightness thingy).

EDIT- Thanx NC for attatching the Poll :) ... And I dont mean to be picky, but a TV tuner doesnt currently exist for Apple TV. Elgalato (however u spell it) makes lots for the mac, but for it to work on the Apple TV, Apple would need to update thier firmware (likely) and the dongle would need to be specially created.

But I think it would be a great as Media center then if it could record tv.... and stream ALL media to the Apple TV and walla.