WWDC 07 Discussion

69 members have voted

1. 1.

• Leopard and/or the New iLife suite (lets face it, iMovie and iPhoto are getting a bit stale)
    • Illuminous (the new aqua)
    • New Macbook
    • New iMac
    • New Mac Pro
    • New Mac Mini and/or Media Center
    • Apple TV Tuner dongle (look it up)
    • New iPod 6th Generation
    • Other (please explain....)

I agree with timan about the finder, but only half 'bout the dock and menubar.

I think the transparency is good, but it lacks that glossiness that would make it awesome (but perhaps that would be too vista-like) and yes it does look a tad grey.

as for the dock, it does take more horizontal space, but not that much, and the 'dock' itself takes up less vertical space allowing you to see more of the desktop... sorta, i mean the icons still take up that space.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't classify myself as a 'fanboy' infact I can't be I built my new PC last week and that would be the greatest sin surely.......

I just don't like anything being knocked with out appropriate reason or point. Especially from someone who has limited knowledge to put together a reasonable arguement.

If someone states his opion on the looks of Leopard there is no need to try and change his opion, it is all a matter of subjective perception. You can agree or disagree, state your agruments, but in the end everybody can make up his own mind.

If you cannot handle a different perception on a subjective matter like the OSX looks you are a fanboy. Nothing wrong with that, just as long as you realize it yourself ;).

On topic: I think Leopard looks hot, though the transparency will take some getting used to :).

Peace

Say what you guys will, but their new GUI looks just a tad Aero inspired if you ask me. With that being said, quit *****ing over a god damn UI. So they copied MS a bit? Who doesn't copy someone else these days? And if you think overwise you're just being ignorant.

Say what you guys will, but their new GUI looks just a tad Aero inspired if you ask me. With that being said, quit *****ing over a god damn UI. So they copied MS a bit? Who doesn't copy someone else these days? And if you think overwise you're just being ignorant.

Problem is, the world goes crazy when ms puts gloss on anything.

hehe well as i said - i'm just stating an opinion :P Maybe I am just so used to the aqua interface, (and so in love with it) that I got a little disappointed when I saw that they dropped some of its features. Also, what I meant about the menu bar is that it's transparent, but then the menus that come from it aren't, and on PERSONAL opinion i dont think that looks as pleasant as before, I just wish that at least it would go solid when you hover over it or something.

The other thing is, I really liked the previous versions of OS X for their "simplicity" - with each version, finder got more and more "simple" and less cluttered, and so did the rest of the OS. And that's what I'm gonna miss once leopard hits town as it kinda took the opposite road: For me, I find that I'd have to "think" more to do basic tasks in Leopard than with Tiger. It's cool, it's nice, and it's "NEW" so you guys will naturally froth over it - but in terms of practicality, I just think they are over doing it.

The question of the topic should be re-instated; Isn't Vista too much?

The effects are spilling all over the place. They are beautiful, but all that glow and ultra fluff overloads both physically and visually. There's no point to compare the rendering of the text and how much of it is just blue links.

And as for who copies from who:

If people let their memory slip away, you ought to check out WWDC summer 2006 and be blown away by how much MS is copying Apple, much outside the software.

Apple broke out with the gloss way back since the earliest versions of Mac OS X. Before anyone have *****d their style of buttons and icons to the max, Apple came forth with the timeless drop down reflections. It was on their site design, buttons, icons and virtually everywhere. Almost every major company is advertising their products using Apple-like design. And that's not something to be ashamed of.

It is crazy how much MS copies off of Apple. Literally.

The effects in Vista are beautiful no doubt about that part. The icons are (finally) good looking. I mean, it's what, 2007? Mac OS X had top to bottom native big gorgeous icons since 2001. The same goes for the see-through title bar effect, which has already been evolved from on the mac since Jaguar. The imagery MS uses is the same exact images Apple used in their advertisement. These may be purchased copyrights, but still, using the same exact thing layout and content for promotions is incompetently sly.

And by the way, I own a 360.

Dock is interesting. I can't see myself using the Finder like they intend AT ALL. It does seem a little more than eye candy, but it's too much for someone interested in getting work done. I like the menu-bar transparency.

Problem is, the world goes crazy when ms puts gloss on anything.

I agree with you there.

And whoa, Goku! Nice to see you again :P.

//Threads Merged. It may seem a bit chaotic, but there's no need to have four different threads that all revolved around WWDC.

-NC

Here's my question for the new Mac Os. Will I still have to tiptoe my way around trying to convince the mac not to crash halfway through a project or will it still have the wonderful temper that always makes me want to murder macs?

Honestly, it reminds me of vista in it's new (and unnecessary) gimmicky features. I like the multiple desktops, and the previews, though.

I think Mac and MS are going to have to really step it up as linux boxes are becoming cooler and user friendly.

**Don't get me wrong, I like macs most of the time. I just want to throw them off buildings occasionally as well as my xp pc. So far vista has been crash free and every program I've installed works (compatability mode actually works so far).

Besides some of the welcome UI changes, I do think that they would most likely change it to some degree. Not so sure about them scratching that off and all of a sudden revealing illuminous. They've worked very hard when it comes to the under hood changes which will probably help promote the mac experience. I wanted a revamped Safari though to be honest...but I am not really disappointed by the keynote either. iLife and iWork has yet to be announced. In my view, Leopard will probably include it which will certainly give us more reason to purchase it. Maybe there's still a chance that some new applications will make it's way. Or are we asking for too much? The new features in Leopard are quite enough for my liking.

This may be too fancy but how about more a 3dish icons? It would probably look better in the dock. Does anyone know where the HD on the desktop went? I was looking for it in the videos... :-/

nahh I think Apple will go further.

I like the transparency. So long as they dont go ape crazy with it (like in vista), because it makes window switching difficult etc.

But I think we're yet to see the full theme for leopard. I mean the preview looked all a bit inconsistant-

in finder they had the old blue gel scroll bars.

in itunes they use those grey pastel ones.

in coverflow they are black and shiney.

Steve said in his keynote that all the different windows would theme/look consistant.

(cant remember the exact words).

Its a shame that finder seems to have taken the grey buttons from itunes.... but as I said, it might all just be a cover... till they unviel the "illuminous' theme in its entirity.

I don't think this is a cover, all I can see changing are some minor details.

nothing is final until it ships. apple will definitely change things, hopefully the hideous menubar is one of them

I agree, I was under the impression that the iTunes 7 scroll bar would become universal, hopefully this will come to fruition before October.

So, it's fine for Apple to copy Microsoft, but how dare Microsoft copies Apple? This seems like a fanboy comment to me. I guess it's also okay that Spaces in Leopard is just a copy of Linux's virtual desktop feature. If a Linux distro made virtual desktops a bit more appealing to the eyes, would it then be labeled as a copy of Spaces?

where's your forum ettiquette? triple posting!

:P.... I DARE you.... shoot the mod who merged the damned threads.

//Threads Merged. It may seem a bit chaotic, but there's no need to have four different threads that all revolved around WWDC.

-NC