Who Wishes Classic Macintosh back?

48 members have voted

1. 1.

• I do!
    • I dont!
    • Maybe...
    • Only the products.

ePod 300, 400, 500 (replaces all iPods)

Peforma 5500/300 ,5500/400 ,5500/500CS (Replaces iMacs)

eMate 400 (Added for consumer line)

Newton Message pad 3000 (Replaces iPhone)

Mac OS 9.3 (Continuation of Mac OS 9.2, Replaces Tiger)

No no and no

1/ Marketing rule : Don't go back in the version numbers, it makes the customers think it's less powerful, and now Macs are well known for OS X , X = 10

Do you know why Xbox 360 is called like that ? Coz Xbox 2 would have looked less powerful than the PS3.

what if we have an new playstation called PS 2.5 ? Nobody will buy it (well nobody buys an PS3 anyway :P)

2/ ePod ? eek. You can't change the iPod name. Not after they slammed it into our heads.

3/ Newton Message pad ? Looks like an outdated products that is just collecting dust. (Even if it's the gall Apple will fail in sales)

4/ Apple Television Box ? Errm that one is the one that is less chocking me (apart from the Macintosh Proffesional), it's just that the "box" now looks like an internet modem thanks to every-isp's "Box" (well I don't know for you, but here, in France it's the case)

5/ Performa ? Looks too old

6/ Powerbook ? Ok :P

7/ The long numbers are out of mode, 5500, 3000 and all that numbers that means nothing are deprecated. Now the class of products are all under the same name (for instance iMac, MacBook), the name only changes when the change is very noticable on the outside of the computer (like MacBook and MacBook Pro) but not the inside (iMac 20" and iMac 24")

Remove all that numbers it will look better.

8/ What is the eMate for you ?

9/ I don't see Performa written in big on the behind of my iMac, it will just look like an NEC or an computer that is anything but a Mac (can't remember what company did the "Performa", HP, NEC, ...)

10/ Marketing too : Names are too long. You remember well iMac, Apple TV, iPod, but in ads it would be more difficult to say Apple Television Box, or Performa.

Final / Well many of my arguments are based on "now we are modern, we use modern names" and you goal is the opposite. It's just that the marked has been dressed to remember iPod, iMac and everything with iSomething is related to Apple. Ok ePod makes me think Apple too, but it also make me think of an bad copy, or just the old eMac, leaving the impression you just have bought some $200 ePod that is 4Gb only . That feeling won't occur with the iPod, the name makes it look more classy. Call the iPod ePod and I get an Sandisk Sansa for the price :P

This isn't an agressive post btw, everybody has it's own point of view, that's all.

well I do agree with you but I mean all the products would be redesigned, not the exact same look but with the similar cases and etc... like the PowerBook would have the keyboard that you can turn the light on... all the features you would have in a modern MacBook but with the classic black case. and the eMate would be totally new, it would be just like a normal laptop but you can write on the LCD screen (the old emate had a pen to write on the screen) for the educational market and it would green and semi tranparent. maybe the numbers are to confusing... But I do know the numbers made Apple a failure, I know... and the message pad would look the same but with a smaller shape and a very high resolution screen with the same features of iPhone... and the lets leave Mac OS 10 alone and just give it a classic OS 9 skin. the Peforma was the like the older consumer product in 97, the Peforma was replaced by the iMac, the peforma is very cool because its like ideal for the educational market. And I would lower all the prices by Half, that way, the Mac can compete with all normal computers, say I wanted to buy a laptop but it has to be a mac, now I would pefer the Apple PowerBook intstead than an Acer laptop for $499... so its better for people because the Mac is better.... so I would really lower the prices down, people would also buy more because its cheap.... Imagine, Apple computer would be in reach of all people and it will conquer the market, say bye bye to windows....

Get out of the dinosaur years. Why do you think Apple wasn't popular back then? Compare to why it's popular now...

I think the dinosaurs years were back in the 80`s when the Macintosh could not even multitask...

Get out of the dinosaur years. Why do you think Apple wasn't popular back then? Compare to why it's popular now...

Overpriced and underpowered products? Mac OS wasn't popular because it wasn't as good as Windows. Mac OS X is entirely different, though, UNIX was clearly the way forward.

Yeah *maybe* an Mac OS 9 skin for the new Mac OS could be good, but , back in the old days, the OS9 skin was like that because not so many computers had 65 355 (or something like that) colors, thus needed an skin not looking bad on them. Now that Vista is advertising it's Aero interface, Apple just can't go back to OS9 skin. Thus if you want OS 9 skin so bad, buy shapeshifter and go into it's Download section it has a very good Classic skin ;)

UNIX is the best thing that happened to Macs, with X11. X11 and Unix opens to OSX a large range of unix applications (MacPorts and Fink can help you), permitting me to compile Amarok on my Mac, and that seriously rocks.

And I think that old Mac OSes weren't better than windows.

Now that Macs went intel, it has made a step that prevent them to return in the past. They can not bring back anything of the old times.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see like the old skins of the Macs in the Leopard OS X for sure, like in windows that has Windows Classic... oh, by the way, if you download the Object Bar which is a finder bar like those ones in the macs, you can change it to classic Mac but instead of the apple logo is the logo of the stardock corporation :)

Classic Mac included in OS X is not a skin, it's virtual environment to run pre-OS X apps under OS X.

What I was talking, was about including classic skin as option in default themes like Aqua, Graphite or Classic for user to choose to.

Something like, Windows Classic theme included in XP or Vista.. where you can revert to gray windows box instead of Visual style on XP/Vista.