iReflector

Most likely it's a script glitch I just caught. It added an extra forward slash into the folder path. This has been fixed. I'm in the process of loading the changed version to dA.

It works with png's only. If you drop an icon it most likely will pull the first layer of the icon which is usually 16px.

There are no plans for the icon feature.

[[update]]

Update is now available on deviantart.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close the app. Start it again. This should fix it. If not try cleaning the folders listed below out.

Clean out/delete these folders:

C:Documents and Settings[YOUR USER NAME]Local SettingsTemp{3BD53D0D-6322-4F75-8744-A1419326F096}

**Note the GUID number will be different & there might be more than one folder. This is most likely the problem

I'm not sure if this folder will be created since I have the pro Version of Dx installed it creates this folder also:

C:Documents and Settings[YOUR USER NAME]Local SettingsApplication DataStardockDesktopXGadgetCacheiReflector

It's not working here, even after the update. After dragging a PNG into the app, I get the following error:

"Something went wrong. This will only accept images as Drag And Drop files. I'll try to continue though.

Details: Objekt erforderlich" [Translation: "Object required"]

I have deleted the temporary files and so, but it still won't work. Can you please help me?

Did you try dragging the ImageMagickObject.dll onto the regsvr32.exe?

I'll attached a revised readme file to the start of the thread.

Okay. I've decided to change the program to include registering/unregistering the dll automatically.

You will noticed a lag on running & closing the gadget.

This will also mess up any current ImageMagickObject com install you already have but, it sounds like the bulk of people don't have it anyways.

Technically on a perspective angle the reflection shouldn't be like either.

If the mirror is running along the axis like mine is than it is correct. Put a mirror on the floor and hold a book up against on a similar angle style should proof my point.

In the second item based on the baseline that's being used the reflection is in the wrong direction. It should be more like the image below.

Shearing can be done with the com object but, after a number of various attempts I found that the level of overall control in adjusting for these perspectives wasn't feasible with in a scripting environment. In simple terms better functionality exists in already existing applications to deal with perspective based icons.

Edit: Actually, I see what is being attempted with the second icon in reference to the Leopard Style Dock's but, it's still off IMO. The bottom right corner would theoretically be off the glass leaving a space before the mirror effect.

post-32383-1186293218_thumb.png

Well I like iReflector approach.

Other than that (e.g. a complex perspective that a background should be considered) it's better use PhotoShop.

Thanks SirSmiley! :)

PS: for Vista the best way to install an application that needs regsvr32 service is to make a setup (e.g. the great and free InnoSetup). Once the installation starts the user Allow it or not. Once allowed the component will be properly registered in Vista.

• 3 weeks later...
how do you make the icons larger? They are large to start but after I make the reflection the icons look small on the dock

This question was asked of me a few days ago. The only immediate suggest (and not productive) is to use a larger png file.

It does scale down to fit the original image dimensions. There are a couple of reasons for this but, the primary one's are:

1. if I scaled up then you would have a png of non-standard dimensions
  2. if I arbitrarily cut the image then it may not be very aesthetically pleasing

I have a few ideas on how to work with this in a future release. Basically, it would find the first non-transparent pixel in the image and allow the user to set the margin(s) for cropping. However, I'm not sure how it will work in a scripting environment opposed to a standard programming language plus how it would react to semi-transparent pixels such as shadows, etc.

Don't expect anything soon as I'm in the midst of a my first (hopefully) commercial gadget.

Daddy needs some "cake" and a power book! ;)

• 2 months later...
This question was asked of me a few days ago. The only immediate suggest (and not productive) is to use a larger png file.

It does scale down to fit the original image dimensions. There are a couple of reasons for this but, the primary one's are:

1. if I scaled up then you would have a png of non-standard dimensions
  2. if I arbitrarily cut the image then it may not be very aesthetically pleasing

I have a few ideas on how to work with this in a future release. Basically, it would find the first non-transparent pixel in the image and allow the user to set the margin(s) for cropping. However, I'm not sure how it will work in a scripting environment opposed to a standard programming language plus how it would react to semi-transparent pixels such as shadows, etc.

Don't expect anything soon as I'm in the midst of a my first (hopefully) commercial gadget.

Daddy needs some "cake" and a power book! ;)

First and foremost, thanks for the amazing app SM! I can tell you put a lot hours into it. I would continue to use it, but having the scale down issue as well. My icons in the dock after using your app are too small. I will await future versions.

Thanks again mate! :D

I'm in a funk atm and November's pretty full so, probably won't get back to this until December.

That will be on the top of the list. Plus, I want to work at allowing variable dimensions up to 1024px if possible and see if I can figure away to put shearing in. That would allow for mirrors with angled images.

Plus clean up the code then release the widget version so others can do what they want with it.