Apple Event & New Releases

iGo

[newsimg]http://www.aqua-soft.org/images/as_logo_128.png[/newsimg]

Today at infinite loop, Cupertino Apple unveiled long rumored updated iMacs and iLife '08, iWork '08 application suits.

contentfooter_nav20070807.jpg iMac

Apart from cosmetic changes, new iMacs does away with 17" model and comes in 20" & 24" flavors. Following are notable changes.

Features:

• Up to 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Extreme Processor
  • Up to 4 GB Memory
  • ATI Radeon HD Graphics
  • Up to 1 TB Hard Disk
  • Wireless 802.11n and Bluetooth 2.0

Also, Apple indicated that the keyboard that was previously leaked is indeed the new keyboard for the iMac.

View new iMacs here

contentfooter_ilife20070807.png iLife '08

iLife suits get updated versions of iPhoto, with new feature for managing photos called "Events".

iMove HD gets new starry icon and library of it's own. Besides icon iMovie also gets UI facelift and support for the newest HD camcorders that use the AVCHD codec, as well as HDV and DV cams. It offers easier scrubbing of clips, as well as as one-click sharing to YouTube.

The new iWeb has live web widgets. It's also loaded with Google goodies now: Google Maps can be "put right in," along with AdSense after you register with Google, and then Google will automatically put in the appropriate ads. Personal domain support has been added.

iDVD just adds pro encoding and new themes.

GarageBand has multi-take recording. New way to experiment: Magic GarageBand, which gives you genres to play with like blues, rock, jazz, country, reggae, funk, latin and slow blues.

And off course, new iMacs will ship with iLife '08 pre installed.

More Information on iLife '08

contentfooter_iwork20070807.png iWork '08

There's a new Keynote with next text effects and transitions. Instant Alpha lets you take out sections of photos you don't want, while Smart Builds lets you drag photos in and Keynote generates the animation for you.

Pages now has two distinct modes—page layout mode and word processor mode. The latter has photo and table support, as well as built-in change tracking and is compatible with Microsoft Word. It also has 140 Apple-built templates.

There is new kid on the block and he's called Numbers. Basically a spreadsheet application from apple's stable. It follows many traits of it's other iWork siblings in terms of interface and UI. Supports almost all excel format documents and has few neat graphical tricks of it's own.

More Information on iWork '08

Unfortunately, as many were hoping.. macbooks didn't receive their pending Santa-Rosa update. But I think apple is keeping that fun part around leopard launch period. Also, some sites have expected mac mini to be discontinued, while some were even hoping redesigned and updated mac minis few days before event. None of that has happened. Mac mini's are still part of mac product line. Although in a Q&A session Tim Cook, Apple COO commented "We're refreshing the Mac mini today."

Apple.com, is now updated.. links added.

UPDATE:

Besides iMac, iLife, iWork and .mac, number of other things were updated without much noise.

specs_optical20060228.jpgMac mini

The little chocolate box looking mac was quietly updated. The update brings Core 2 Duo processors to mini (from earlier Core Duos), with a 1.83 GHz model and a 2.0 GHz model starting at $599. The new models will also feature Apple's newly released iLife '08 software.

- 1 GB RAM standard (up from 512 MB on entry model)

- 80 or 120 GB Hard Drives (up from 60/80 GB)

- Integrated GMA 950 graphics

- Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11g wireless + bluetooth 2.0 built-in

More info on Mac mini

specsairport_20070109.pngAirport Extreme

Airport Extreme has been updated to include gigabit ethernet which earlier had only included 10/100 Base-T ethernet. Logical update considering all Macs now ship with Gigabit ethernet.

More info on Airport Extreme

btoimage_raid_macpro.gifMac Pro PCI RAID card

Apple introduced a new built-to-order option for the Mac Pro... a PCI RAID card.The Mac Pro RAID card offers improved performance and data protection to your Mac Pro system - up to 304MB/s of sequential read performance in RAID 0. Ideal for video and creative professionals with demanding storage needs as well as for tower server applications, this hardware RAID option supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 0+1, and Enhanced JBOD.

Also Apple have added QuickTime stream of apple event video for those who want to watch keynote.

video_watchevent_20070807.jpg

Got to agree the new 20 incher is nice looking.

I'm sorely tempted to make a purchase. Obviously waiting for the Leopard release.

I've just been checking the prices. 1199$ in the US and 799ÂŁ in the UK.

I'm going to NY in November what are the chances of being able to purchase one and being it back to the UK?

I think that it look terrible in black compared to the white one, but this is still better than any windows running PC, aesthetically obv lol...and that keyboard is super thin, thats just carazy!

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEET!

@mps69, you can probably purchase one, but be careful, as you sometimes do get stopped from bringing alot of gear back to the uk from the us, so if you do buy it don't splash out so much on anything else or you might have to leave it :'(

OK... now I'm impressed.

The new iMac actually looks good for a change.

have you seen the back of it though? that logo is way to big. i think its a lil ugly. but the front is way cool...

and that chin is still there :/

oh well im still gonna buy one (or get my folks to buy one for themselves)

!

Its not yet on the AUSTRALIA store!?!... are we being left behind?!?!

NOOOO

EDIT- few... its there now :) and also a page on the new keyboards not present on the US website; http://www.apple.com/au/keyboard/

sorry im late to the party! (I do live in Australia after all)

wow! looks like all the rumours were true.... anodized aluminium, and the keyboard was Not a fake!

People will be pleased by the fact the imac takes a more iphone look to it. I'm not sure I like the black... i like it on the front, not so sure bout the back.

BAHAHAHA classic!!!

In that picture they should have used the wireless mouse and keyboard... It would have looked better.

As far as I can see, the iMac allows up to 2.8GHz processor customization, for the 24" model.

Also, I question the wireless keyboard. Why on earth does it have less keys than the wired one? I was expecting the wireless one to be essentially the same as the wired one, just without wires. Instead, it's missing the numeric keypad, something I love.

Pretty snazzy otherwise. I love the new design.

The only issue with them is the new Graphics card used in the Imac is inferior to the Macbook pro ones, which puts me off, and also explains why they have dropped in price. I was expecting the exact Macbook pro spec on the new imacs, was intending on buying one, but thinking if i should just wait till the next update some time feb 2008, hopefully quad core maybe on the horizon, in the meantime i will stick with my trusty core 2 duo macbook 2ghz. Excellent new designs, fantastic new keyboards, but im sure alot of fans were expecting better GPU.

The only issue with them is the new Graphics card used in the Imac is inferior to the Macbook pro ones, which puts me off, and also explains why they have dropped in price. I was expecting the exact Macbook pro spec on the new imacs, was intending on buying one, but thinking if i should just wait till the next update some time feb 2008, hopefully quad core maybe on the horizon, in the meantime i will stick with my trusty core 2 duo macbook 2ghz. Excellent new designs, fantastic new keyboards, but im sure alot of fans were expecting better GPU.

What?

The ATI cards in the new iMac KILL the nVidia crap in the MBP.

Learn to read specs man.

I was under the impression the black on the back was a shadow...doesnt matter...looks simply awesome...i knew the whole mac range would slowly adopt the anodised aluminium look :P My only little annoyance is that that big bottom lips still there but its bearable though i expected the new imac to look less like its predecessor....the border round the screen looks bad in some pictures but it will look truly awesome in real life, trust me on that....the shinyness will make it look normal and innovative in a way and add a balance to the overall design that wasn't there in its predecessor (harsh dark corners are no longer surrounded by rounded corners now)

I'm going to wait a while though, for the imacs to catch up performance wise (for high end bootcamp gaming. I dont have enough money for one atm anyway :S

In that picture they should have used the wireless mouse and keyboard... It would have looked better.

But then Dell could have countered with the same setup!

Seriously, this may be the only time Apple has demonstrated a valid advantage to their competition, the idea of less "cable mess."

As far as I can see, the iMac allows up to 2.8GHz processor customization, for the 24" model.

Also, I question the wireless keyboard. Why on earth does it have less keys than the wired one? I was expecting the wireless one to be essentially the same as the wired one, just without wires. Instead, it's missing the numeric keypad, something I love.

Pretty snazzy otherwise. I love the new design.

I think the goal was to make it as small, compact and portable as possible. I would imagine it's pretty lightweight, too. I hardly ever used the number pad, but to each their own.

Nice job iGo on the prompt writeup!

Thanks, NC !! :)

First post updated with new items.

As for keyboard, I'm also wondering why Apple went for smaller form for wireless keyboard. I guess, it gives it more portability to use it at distance... something like using it from your sofa while operating mac mini attached to your LCD?. Still, I think they should have kept the full form factor AND small form factor keyboard in wireless, so people can choose whatever they want.

Otherwise overall, I like the new updates. The new iMacs look sweet, even the back. But yet, the logo on back is too friggin huge. As long as it faces the wall, it's fine... but someone's using it on desk no against the wall, it looks odd. iLife and iWork gets worthy updates, but I think apple focused more on iMovie that iPhoto. I'm waiting for detailed hand-on review on iLife, I was expecting a bit more for iPhoto. I still use iPhoto for my general, family photo collection.

sorry im late to the party! (I do live in Australia after all)

wow! looks like all the rumours were true.... anodized aluminium, and the keyboard was Not a fake!

People will be pleased by the fact the imac takes a more iphone look to it. I'm not sure I like the black... i like it on the front, not so sure bout the back.

BAHAHAHA classic!!!

imackeyboard_4_20070807.jpg

My computer looks way worse than them both put together! :P

~New iMac is going to be AWSOME!