Bit-Torrent Client for Mac

I love Transmission but Xtorrent is cool because it will automatically move movies and music to the correct folders, that is nice. It also has a search feature, but i think its worth less. If you want simple go with Transmission.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently struggling with the 4xx error myself. Below is 'investigation in progress', so YMMV.

The most hopeful techinical info I've found so far is here:

http://trac.transmissionbt.com/browser/tru...cker.c?rev=5859

else if( 400<=responseCode && responseCode<=499 )

{

/* The request could not be understood by the server due to

* malformed syntax. The client SHOULD NOT repeat the

* request without modifications. */

publishErrorMessageAndStop( t, _( "Tracker returned a 4xx message" ) );

t->manualAnnounceAllowedAt = ~(time_t)0;

t->reannounceAt = 0;

}

snippet>

This error has occured in my Transmission when:

a) I've changed IP address (I've been assigned a new IP by my ISP while Transmission is running)

B) the torrent site has gone offline for a while then come back online.

The above code snippet suggests that the error response (in range 400-499) from the tracker indicates that Transmission should NOT retry, whereas the people running the torrent site say it SHOULD be retried.

However, it seems that Transmission won't allow manual announce once this error has occured.

The way round it for me in the past is to quit and restart Transmission, which clears the error but fails to register the most recent transfer with the tracker.

In short it seems like one of those errors that the tracker site say is a bug in the client, but the Transmission team believe they are following protocol in not allowing manual announce once it has occured. It may be down to poor choice of error codes by the tracker site, or that Transmission is too strict in interpreting the protocol as other clients such as uTorrent do appear to retry after the same error code (in the 400-499 range).

If/when anyone gets further info on this, I'd be grateful if you could pass it on.

• 3 months later...