iWeb background issues

Im creating a new theme site in iweb and its looking quite nice...

each page has the same background which is nice, but it takes a while to load between pages.

I've tried reducing the quality (compressing) of the background photo in photoshop as much as humanly possible without making it look dodgy.

It still results in quite a large file size.

My question is this... Is there any way in which I can simply have that picture load once and once only?... because the background doesnt change from page to page, itd be nice if it wouldn't have to reload each time.

Preview:

http://web.mac.com/lemasproductions/iLeo/

its because each bg img your using is unique, on your itunes page, line 21, the bg info is

on your safari page, line 21, its

not the same files. further proof is that when you refresh a page, the bg doesn't reload.

I don't know how to do it through iweb, but w/ html just edit the addresses on that line so they're all the same img, or if your feeling adventures; create a global style sheet,

nice site by the way,

Levi - that's probably the only way. Since you've customized the iWeb template quite a lot (by the looks of it), it would be best just to get Smultron or CSS Edit to edit the page, and Cyberduck to upload via FTP.

If I edit the HTML with another program I wont be able to re-import it into iWeb... and If i cant re-import to iWeb then I cant upload it onto .Mac.

But, I have an idea.

If I set the background in iWeb to "None" then, theoretically it should erase the line of html that says where the background directory is.

right?... hear me out on this.

So now that we've erased the html, we need to insert a custom line of html describing where the new background is (one which is shared by all pages).

iWeb 2 now supports HTML snippets. I've used this feature before to embed other sites into my own.

So now all I need is a line of code that describes/sets a page background to one of my choosing.

with me?

BUMP

I tried changing the wall (so that all the pages source the background image from the same place reducing load times) using HTML.

It worked... but, there seems to be a bug, I think in the way iWeb implements HTML widgets (they dont seem to work for large images) . As soon as the page loads, text which is meant to be in front of the background image just disappears... then you highlight the text and it re appears...

test it on my site to see what i mean. (note- only finder, and main page use the html technique)

EDIT-

Sorry, I know this is now my third bump, but I've worked out how to do it ... forget HTML web snippets.

My new process involves creating the page using iWeb, uploading it to .Mac and then... editing the HTML.

How?

When you enable "iDisk", theres a folder called "Web" in which all your iWeb sites are uploaded to. All files and HTML are stored in these directories.

I created a folder in the main "iLeo" website directory called "Common" and placed all the common images (such as the background, menubar and dock icons) into it.

Then I went about editing each page manually using my myspace HTML editing skills :D ... I used "Taco HTML edit" 30 day trial :P ... redirecting each image URL on every page to point to the picture in the "common directory".

Now as every page loads it does not need to reload every image from a seperate directory because its already stored in the cache from the previous page.

^ hope that makes sense, and helps somebody out there.

That's pretty intersting mate. :D

I've been using iWeb to create our site, but I don't have a .Mac account. Just a case of publishing is it to a folder, then FTP'ing the folder up to my site. It does make loading images slow, but it's just a family site so not much traffic going through it.

Seems like .Mac account do have an advantage after all, still a bit on the expensive side for my liking.

That's pretty intersting mate. :D

I've been using iWeb to create our site, but I don't have a .Mac account. Just a case of publishing is it to a folder, then FTP'ing the folder up to my site. It does make loading images slow, but it's just a family site so not much traffic going through it.

Seems like .Mac account do have an advantage after all, still a bit on the expensive side for my liking.

Yeah. I got a free .Mac account for completing online Apple Sales training (because I work for an authorised Apple reseller)... lucky me

Tho I dont think its overly expensive, when you consider how much easier it makes it to upload your site. The iWeb>.Mac integration is smooth and easy.

And now that I know about the iDisk, it really does give me all the control I need.

Furthermore, if you're thinking of getting an iPhone- Mobile me is going to be advantageous.

• 2 weeks later...