iPhone 2.0 Firmware -- Early? (And Jailbroken)

9e6dc287a4d5de27752642594e55cff6.png

Once again, digging through Apple's XML files has revealed the url to the iPhone 2.0 Firmware that is presently available on Apple's servers. One of MacRumor's readers found this new firmware image:

iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw [download - 3G]

iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw [download - 2G]

This build is slightly higher than the one of the latest iPhone Firmware Beta (5A345) which was also spotted on shipping iPhone 3Gs. Despite the filename appearing in the XML file, the actual firmware has not yet been released officially. As well, the firmware carries a "1,2" designation while all previous firmwares, including the beta firmwares carried a "1,1" number.

Apple has posted an updated guide about firmware upgrades and warns:

"Normally if you choose to update, the iPhone or iPod touch software is updated but your settings and media are not affected. If your device currently has a software version prior to 2.0 (1.x) and you are updating to software version 2.0 or later, all data on your device will be erased in order to perform install the new software. In this case, iTunes will offer to create a one-time media backup of your device depending on what content is on your device and what content is stored in the iTunes Library you are connected to. You should ensure that you have enough free space on your Mac or PC to accommodate a backup that matches the capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch (4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB) if you proceed with the this backup."

Be sure to fully sync prior to proceeding. In order to install this firmware, you will have to do it manually by pressing the Option key when pressing the "Check for Update" button in iTunes. Then select the .ipsw file manually. If for some reason your download is a ".zip" file, rename it to ".ipsw" before proceeding.

We expect the firmware to be officially released shortly and will appear in your iTunes software update. If you don't wish to wait, you can use this method, but should proceed with caution and at your own risk. That being said, there are reports of people having successfully used this firmware on the original iPhone, and are successfully downloading and running App Store apps.

Note: Can not be used for iPod touch.

[source: MacRumors]

To clarify this whole thing, here are the relevant firmware links:

iPhone first generation (2G): click

iPhone 3G (second generation): click

iPod touch: [Removed]

Note that the link for the iPod touch firmware is very slow because the server is quite overloaded right now, and that the relevant part iTunes store is down so the only way to get the normally $10 update is through the link or by searching the usual places to get illicit software. If you're impatient, then at least support Apple by paying for the update when the store starts working again. (My lawyer made me say that)

--Dan

Once again, digging through Apple's XML files has revealed the url to the iPhone 2.0 Firmware that is presently available on Apple's servers. One of MacRumor's readers found this new firmware image:

iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw [download - 2G]

iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw [download - 3G]

You have it backwards.

1,1 is 2G and 1,2 is for the 3G phone.

This is all over MacRumors and has already been confirmed by many board members there.

iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw (The leaked version) is in fact for the 3G iPhone.

You have it backwards.

1,1 is 2G and 1,2 is for the 3G phone.

This is all over MacRumors and has already been confirmed by many board members there.

iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw (The leaked version) is in fact for the 3G iPhone.

Maybe so, but it would seem to work just fine on the original iPhone.

I'm glad I was on the road to miss the Apple server pandemonium. Everything works fine after the 2.0 upgrade on my touch. I am thinking about jailbreaking it, mostly for theming. I wish the Wallpaper in Settings would actually be, I don't know, the Wallpaper. And adding custom icons, not to mention the god-awful icons these developers are using. C'mon, Apple, put a customizing app in the App Store!

And there is this little problem with my MobileMail app crashing on execution. Oi.

P.S., Apple, while you are adding these fixes, GIVE ME BACK MY AUTO-REFLECTIVE DOCK!

• 4 months later...