Google Chrome Web Browser

[newsimg]http://pic.newssc.org/0/10/63/51/10635106_366919.jpg[/newsimg]"Google announced their very own browser project called Google Chrome — an announcement in the form of a comic book drawn by Scott McCloud, no less. Google says Google Chrome will be open source, include a new JavaScript virtual machine, include the Google Gears add-on by default, and put the tabs above the address bar (not below), among other things. I've also uploaded Google's comic book with all the details (details given from Google's perspective, anyway... let's see how this holds up). While Google provided the URL www.google.com/chrome there's nothing up there yet."

-Tech.Slashdot.org

It seems that Google will be releasing a new web browser currently dubbed "Google Chrome". Not much is known about it yet, but it seems interesting rather already. It is built upon Webkit, like Safari, so we should expect a great deal of speed and Java-related performance from it. There are also features similar to the Opera browser such as having the tabs over the address bar. It is also open source, so there is plenty of room for community-based improvement.

The public beta of Google Chrome will be released later today in more than 100 countries.

Opinions? I'm curious to try it out, but I doubt I'll switch to it from Safari 4. I also don't like the idea of having tabs above the address bar, as it just feels wrong in Opera.

Google Chrome

Google Chrome comic book

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt I'll try it, but it will take a lot to make me move away from FF.

I'm just wondering if Google are biting off more than they can chew. How many of their projects get canned after a short shelf life or never seem to get fully developed.

Well this actually takes advantage of some parts of Firefox, as the Google page stated. I'm not sure if any of the Firefox extensions will be compatible, but if they are and it matches Safari in speed I may make the switch.

well for me in everyday browsing im using both FF and IE7.

FF lacks tab page thot i still like FF. IE7 have a tab page when you press crtl+Q.

now im testing google chrome. and i say i really like it!!!

since ive imported all the bookmarks i had in FF and the location on its folder and everything is still the same so using chrome wont trouble me much.

im thinking that ill probably switch my browser combo to FF and chrome. wont be needing IE7 now since it still has a high tendency to crash.

also i like the simple and neat looking interface of chrome + the fact that java scripts runs faster as it seems. so thumbs up for me!

note.. please check the incognito mode! its a very good feature~

I will try it. I use Safari, that's my default web browser, but there's something I dislike with it. As in IE, when you download something, it asks you if you want to download it and where. I hate that. Why did they add that to Safari. Opera. I love it, it almost perfect, just a little tiny issue: Too slow (while downloading a file). Well two issues: tabs above the address bar. But I must say, that IE8 isn't too bad, is actually a-bit better than the previous version. I hope that Chrome is good :)

I will try it.

Well, well, well. Chrome is fast, which I like, lacks of a menubar, more space, it moves smoothly, the downloads, uhhh, love it!! is discreet, is fast. Great stuff , you have spelling check, But they should change the skin, looks bit childish. And it has some problems while playing videos on YouTube, But Chrome, for it's BETA is excellent.

post-77642-1220410920_thumb.jpg

Giving it a quick test run, and it's ok, for something right out the box. Fast and light.

Nice to have a spell checker right of the bat too

I'll be interested to see what the theming community makes of it, because the interface isn't that great. Not so keen on the colour scheme. I would have liked to have seen a way to change it, but that may come soon (fingers crossed).

One thing I have noticed is I've got 2 session running within task manager. I though it was per tab, but nope. Anyone else getting this?

Giving it a quick test run, and it's ok, for something right out the box. Fast and light.

I'll be interested to see what the theming community makes of it, because the interface isn't that great. Not so keen on the colour scheme. I would have liked to have seen a way to change it, but that may come soon (fingers crossed).

One thing I have noticed is I've got 2 session running within task manager. I though it was per tab, but nope. Anyone else getting this?

Assuming you have one tab, I'm assuming one of them is the main UI, and the other is the tab itself.

This is a fairly good browser, but definately not usable yet.

Text only zoom? I have a 22" widescreen monitor, I need my zoom for badly designed websites!

No smooth scrolling was weird... the whole UI shifts and scrolls around :/

You can actually start and try to mess with the interface. The downloaded Google Chrome files are not stored in xx:Program files but are hidden in Documents and Settings (at least on xp)...

Tick off 'Show hidden files' in Folder Options > then go to xx:Documents and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataGoogleChromeApplication0.2.149.27...

EDIT: Haw! Devrexster over at DA already released a theme! XD.

post-69318-1220439727_thumb.png

You can actually start and try to mess with the interface. The downloaded Google Chrome files are not stored in xx:Program files but are hidden in Documents and Settings (at least on xp)...

Tick off 'Show hidden files' in Folder Options > then go to xx:Documents and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataGoogleChromeApplication0.2.149.27...

EDIT: Haw! Devrexster over at DA already released a theme! XD.

will you make one kinsemon ? ( a Safari style ) maybe, yes I'm sure, oh I can't wait, he he thank's kinsemon;)

//edit

I have Safari 3.1.2 which it says is updated and does not show Safari 4 in Software Update under the "Apple Menu"*

Safari 4 is only for developers. You can get it from http://connect.apple.com if you signed up for a Dev account.

I actually like Chrome more than any other browser on my Windows machine. FireFox is slow, Safari is sluggish, and I don't even touch IE. Hopefully they enable more CSS properties in the future.