CheckMail Docklet for ObjectDock

Smaky

Ha! Never mind. I just figured it out. I simply lowered the slide for "font background color and transparency" from 39% to 6%. In my case that looks good. But I also raised the font size to 20 because the default value was making it too small on this display.

There's another anomaly I noticed though. It happened yesterday 2nd day after installing it on the OD2, but I thought it was a fluke. But today it happened again. When the dock first starts I guess the docklet automatically checks mail, because if I right-click it, it shows the correct number of messages waiting, but the number on the red icon that displays is "0". I tried different things and the only way this number gets correctly updated is when I actually press on the docklet icon. But at this point it opens my email app, so that's kind of a mood point then. Restarting the docklet doesn't make a difference at this point. And I guess the only way to replicate this is if the mailboxes are empty, update the docklet and close the OD2, then send some emails to get mailboxes filled with few of them, and then start the OD2. I haven't tried this yet, but from what I've observed, at this point the icon number should be 0 again, even though there are multiple messages reported in the right-click menu.

Anyway to figure out why the 0 shows?

Edited by mps69
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the exact same problem, and this did not fix it..

I tried to look for any settings in the OD2 itself, but nothing really grabbed my attention as relating to this.

I'm still using your version "h" though.

It's not just lame maroon, but even the number is dark grey, which makes it very hard to read. It's like a shadow placed on top of the message indicator icon. I got the same version running on another PC in OD1.9 and this is not a problem there.

Could you please PM me so I may try to help you out?

From your latest feedback I have updated the docket to add a delay option so checking for new mail will be delayed (or disabled) after running the configured application. Also added a dialog box to configure new mail messages (v.0.1.1.0k) (Use %d as placeholder for the number of mails).

You may download the updated docklet from the first post in this thread.

Note: The docklet was recompiled with Visual Studio 2010, I just found that under my windows Vista machine I had to install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package for it to run properly so if you get an error about a missing dll this might be the case so go and download it.

Edited by Smaky
  • 2 months later...

First, I just want to say -- Great Docklet!!!!

I've been using it every day for some time now.

I have one (hopefully minor) request/bug fix. When showing 100 or more messages, the font changes.

Please see the attached image... Thanks.

post-2244-0-52764600-1300162363_thumb.jp

Edited by jbgamble
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for noting this out... I'll take a look at this (although it may take me some time to fix it).

First, I just want to say -- Great Docklet!!!!

I've been using it every day for some time now.

I have one (hopefully minor) request/bug fix. When showing 100 or more messages, the font changes.

Please see the attached image... Thanks.

• 2 months later...

It's not true anymore, I'm using free yahoo account with imap settings as follows:

Type: IMAP

Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 143 (SSL unchecked)

Username: Yahoo_email

Password: Yahoo_password

Everything else is default. Well I've also checked UNSEEN/RECENT but it's for convenience.

You can add your program and parameters, it's up to you, the required information for the docklet to work is the described above.

Meh. Did more research... need Yahoo Mail PLUS dontcha?! Those yahoo people suck. So I just got a GMail Account! Haha!

Smaky I've found that in last version (0.1.1.0k), the number of emails is showed in the left of the label circle if the number is more than 2 digits. I've tried it in version 0.1.0.9b and this is showing pretty well even with my hotmail account where I have 1000+ emails in my inbox. It's not really that bad, but actually I don't get why the last version has this bug and the old doesn't.

By the way, I use to have really lot of emails in my hotmail account and as it's still pop3 connection only, it shows all my emails instead of just unread. That's why I have that lot of emails.

In the attachment, the 0.1.1.0k is the left docklet and the 0.1.0.9b is the right docklet to clear the issue.

post-137178-0-27216300-1308782210_thumb.

HI

Thanks for a great docklet which I had running 2 years ago.

However I have changed to windows 7 and also have a new email address.

Checkmail is now failing to log-on to my account.

The only possible variation I can guess is the cause is the User Name which my server

mail.myserver.co.uk requires is the full email address including the @ :-

myname@myserver.co.uk

Using object dock 1.9 on both W7 and XP and docklet 1.1.0k

I get "Account settings are invalid" on test

the full address is what is used in outlook express, windows mail, thunderbird, sysmetrix etc

Checkmail does not even attempt to connect on rclick checkmail now:- myname -Not Checked.

If I change to mymame only as the user there is an attempt to connect but obviously fails

myname - No Mails, as this is not the log-on name required.

I have checked the currenttheme.ini in App data and it is shows

A0-User=myname@myserver.co.uk (which is what is required)

Password this is correct.

Hope you can sort this

regards

besb

Edit Additional info I checked with another redundant acc. I have

pop3.ntlworld.com and a simple user name of:-myname

At first glance all is correct with this and reports 40 emails

Edited by besb
  • 1 month later...

All my personal accounts are configured via IMAP and/or POP3 and would require the name@domain as username. So it seems this is not the issue. If you could setup a temporary account at your server for me to test then PM me with the details I may be able to replicate the problem.

HI

Thanks for a great docklet which I had running 2 years ago.

However I have changed to windows 7 and also have a new email address.

Checkmail is now failing to log-on to my account.

The only possible variation I can guess is the cause is the User Name which my server

mail.myserver.co.uk requires is the full email address including the @ :-

myname@myserver.co.uk

Using object dock 1.9 on both W7 and XP and docklet 1.1.0k

I get "Account settings are invalid" on test

the full address is what is used in outlook express, windows mail, thunderbird, sysmetrix etc

Checkmail does not even attempt to connect on rclick checkmail now:- myname -Not Checked.

If I change to mymame only as the user there is an attempt to connect but obviously fails

myname - No Mails, as this is not the log-on name required.

I have checked the currenttheme.ini in App data and it is shows

A0-User=myname@myserver.co.uk (which is what is required)

Password this is correct.

Hope you can sort this

regards

besb

Edit Additional info I checked with another redundant acc. I have

pop3.ntlworld.com and a simple user name of:-myname

At first glance all is correct with this and reports 40 emails

I have tested with 0.1.1.0k and could not reproduce the problem. Could you test with another font just to validate this?

It's not true anymore, I'm using free yahoo account with imap settings as follows:

Type: IMAP

Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 143 (SSL unchecked)

Username: Yahoo_email

Password: Yahoo_password

Everything else is default. Well I've also checked UNSEEN/RECENT but it's for convenience.

You can add your program and parameters, it's up to you, the required information for the docklet to work is the described above.

Smaky I've found that in last version (0.1.1.0k), the number of emails is showed in the left of the label circle if the number is more than 2 digits. I've tried it in version 0.1.0.9b and this is showing pretty well even with my hotmail account where I have 1000+ emails in my inbox. It's not really that bad, but actually I don't get why the last version has this bug and the old doesn't.

By the way, I use to have really lot of emails in my hotmail account and as it's still pop3 connection only, it shows all my emails instead of just unread. That's why I have that lot of emails.

In the attachment, the 0.1.1.0k is the left docklet and the 0.1.0.9b is the right docklet to clear the issue.

post-79521-0-33922400-1314154308_thumb.p

• 1 month later...

Hello

I' trying checkmail (k version)on rocketdock. Overall it works but the icons don't change properly. Every time the dock starts the icons show according the situation but they remain the same no matter what.

Also from time to time all the settings disappear, and the docklet goes back to the fresh install state (default icons, no accounts, etc.).

I've tried changing the settings with no luck and can't find anything in the forums or the read me file to help me with this issue.

Any help will be welcome

Best regards

zedopipo

• 2 months later...

Well... this is the first preview of my new docklet. Something that was requested in the forum.

This CheckMail Docklet will check multiple POP3 accounts and show a summarized count of new mails.

It is still under early development... many features does not work (like SSL & the program launch), just wanted to get it tested so I can get some feedback on how to continue.

The icons are not complete... (thanks schrom for contributing them), but you can choose whatever icon suites your taste. Just remember that the newmail icon is supposed to get overlaid over the background icon. The animation icon is used while searching for new mails.

To be fair... the Docklet is inspired on PopWatch application by PJNaughter (http://www.naughter.com/popwatch.html), Initially I tried to port it to the docklet environment... but I faced too many problems integrating MFC to the Docklet so I finally decided to re-write it from scrath... but I adopted many ideas from his app.

I have received reports that the docklets works fine under RKLauncher & Rocket Dock but I have not tested it myself.

Updates:

+ 09/11/2008 - Small update to fix make "Do not check this account for emails" and some temporary fix to let the docklet check accounts which were not working properly (because

of an MD5 issue).

+ 09/11/2008 - This time i fixed a few things. I disabled the options that are still not functional (like enabling SSL & Balloon tooltips), the run program parameters are now implemented & I have included the animation schmrom kindly contributed to the docklet) and removed the shadow & outline from the number of mails shown. Clicking on the red area where the number of mails are shown will cycle through every configured account showing the number of mails available for that account.

+ 09/12/2008 - The login procedure now supports MD5 hash of the password whenever the server supports it (APOP), I integrated the RSA C reference implementation.

+ 09/15/2008 - Small update to fix a bug that crashed OD when configuring the docklet's icons.

+ 09/21/2008 - Updated to support SSL enabled servers via OpenSSL (statically linked, so there is no need for an additional download).

+ 09/27/2008 - Added support for mailer application per account. Just configure the application at the account dialog (or choose to use the Default app - configured at the main config dialog). Added a right menu context menu sumarizing the account stat (the context menu still does nothing else... maybe tomorrow).

+ 09/28/2008 - Added support to access gmail accounts using HTTPS gmail API. Configure the account type for each account in the configuration dialog.

+ 10/01/2008 - Added support for IMAP servers.

+ 10/05/2008 - Added configuration option to support UNSEEN/RECENT messages when IMAP protocol is selected. Added options to configure the font & color of the text used by the docklet (sorry, rotation is not yet implemented... was harder than I thought).

+ 10/09/2008 - Added a configuration option to rotate the number of mails shown by the docklet. Added an option to turn off the animation playing while searching for new emails. I also changed the way the animation is composed. Now the animation is overlaid over the background, so you may use whatever background you want (provided we are able to get a new set of icons that has an animation that only shows the moving arrows).

+ 10/12/2008 - Fixed a bug that crashed OD when no internet connection is available and the docklet tries to check for new mail. I updated the code that rotated the text to achieve a better rotation look, the text should be smoother now (v.1.0.7b).

+ 10/13/2008 - Revisited the lauch application code again... fixed some bugs (I may have introduced some of them yesterday) and added a "Parameters" configuration option, for those who need to send parameters to the configured application. Fixed the spinner controls to work as expected (v.1.0.7d).

+ 10/15/2008 - Added a "Run application even when there are no mails" option to the general settings & account settings, this option will let you run your configured mail application even when no mails were reported (kind of a shortcut). Fixed some bugs in the code that generated the label shown by the docklet (under some circumstances it would not display the expected message - specially when a particular account was selected). Finally I added the icon sets provided by schmrom & Ghostwalker (there are now a default icon package, a gmail & a yahoo! icon set).

+ 10/18/2008 - The docklet is now able to show the mail application if it was previously lanunched & minimized.

+ 10/18/2008 - When setting up your accounts the docklet will show and use default ports for IMAP & POP3 protocols. You may still change them to another port if default ports do not meet your setup. Added an Mailbox option to configure the mailbox that will be queried when using IMAP protocol.

+ 10/19/2008 - Fixed the accounts context menu to properly show the appropiate icon (depending on whether the account has mails or not).

+ 10/19/2008 + Added error handling code to the Gmail HTTPS checking routing in order to reduce the crashig some users have been reporting. The general configuration settings dialos will now show centered in the screen & other config dialogs will be centered to the general config dialog (v0.1.0.7k).

+ 10/20/2008 + Revisited (again) the code for checking gmail using HTTPS, fixed a hidden bug that may be the culprit of some crashes reported lately - tested both OD/OD+ & RD (v0.1.0.7l).

+ 10/21/2008 + Fixed a bug that ElMaestro pointed out in the IMAP4 code that prevented it to properly process the information sent by some servers. Streamlined the code and fixed some bugs with the icons configuration dialog, it now will let you cancel the changes (previously changing icons was permanent even if you cancelled the dialog) (v0.1.0.7m).

+ 10/31/2008 + An small trick for halloween... at least the first release of the docklet. I have made a few quirks to the animation code hoping that it will prevent the dock from crashing (specially for RocketDock & RKLauncher). A few minor updates to the icon sets too.

+ 11/18/2008 + Changed the way IMAP accounts check for unseen mail. I hope this will fix some issues with incorrect mail counts that have been reported lately.

+ 11/21/2008 + Integrated the accounts context menu to the general context menu, after some thought it seems to be easier to have both menus integrated so it's easier to use. The docklet will check the accounts whenever an application gets launched and left-click + hold will do an Check Mail Now action (v.0.1.0.9b).

+ 09/12/2008: Fixed a bug that caused the font not being drawn with the selected size (v.0.1.0.9d).

+ 07/03/2009: Updated the configuration box with a tabbed dialog to support more setting for fonts. Added functionallity to backup/restore the docklet configuration & account profiles and to arrange them as needed. Added icon to support correct display of mail count over 100 (v.0.1.1.0a).

+ 10/03/2009: Fixed bug with large badge not showing the mail count centered.

+ 10/03/2009: Fixed a bug that prevented 'N/A' count from being properly displayed.

+ 26/03/2010: Updated docklet to be Windows 7 compatible. Fixed issues with IMAP when used to check gmail accounts.

+ 28/03/2010: Option added to play sound only when mail count changes.

+ 01/04/2010: Small bug fixes (v.0.1.1.0g).

+ 03/04/2010: Bug fix that prevented some POP3 account to work properly (v.0.1.1.0h).

You may download the docklet from:

Working Great!! Thanks a lot.