CheckMail Docklet for ObjectDock

Smaky

Well guys... I will try to implement IMAP & HTML access to accounts... it's just that right now I do not have the time to reseach on those protocols... I'm almost in deployment phase at work so I got only between 12:00 and 1:00 am to work on the docklet... so it might get some time... but, well... the docklets aren't for me only....

Any links to widgets or info on those implementation would be very appreciated... thanks for your feedback & patience.

Well we all understand were not asking for it to be done w/in a week but yeah well all help anyway we can, ghostwalker will provide with codes and such and me and churchpunk will test it fully me = objectdock&rocketdock, churchpunk= RKLauncher, also since I'm an iconist and a skinner just give me request on icons and graphics and I'll get to it when I have free time

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a working test app which will get the mail count from gmail... this time using the WinHTTP API (via HTTPS as the widgets do)... I will be posting the sample console app later so you can test it out before I integrate the code to the Docklet... stay tunned... it seems that we have got 1...

Sorry about that...

http://code.google.com/apis/apps/email_set...e_protocol.html

I'm trying to search for some IMAP code and HTTP in between working on my Widget(I need a Widget to monitor the bandwidth usage from my ISP)

I have updated the docklet to support different account type (POP3 & GMail HTTPS access are supported, IMAP still to be implemented). Download the updated releas (v. 0.1.0.4a) from the first post.

Additionally, I have created a little test app just to validate that the code to retrieve the number of mails in a gmail account. the code uses the HTTPS way (as several widget do) to retrieve the unread messages count from a gmail account.

This is a command line tools... just unzip it and run it from a command promtp like:

CkGmail.exe [gmailaccount@gmail.com] [password]

if successfull it should show the number of mails like:

You have [X] messages in your inbox

Please test it out and send me your feedback in order to help me debug the code in the docklet.

CkGmail.zip

Hello,

Thank you for adding the HTTP access method. I am now able to use this docklet from my office, in place of Judge's SysStats version. Great job!

If I may, I would like to make a few further requests:

- Ability to select the font that is used for the number that appears in the red star (and rotate it a few degrees?).

- Ability to disable the check mail animation (currently, I have partially achieved this by renaming animated.png, however the star disappears momentarily when checking the accounts, and this can be a little distracting!).

- Ability to add an argument to the 'Default Program to run' box (e.g. a URL to the webmail service etc.)

- Optimise the filesize/memory footprint of the docklet (perhaps by moving the OpenSSL library to a separate .dll?)

Regarding the first point, below is a screenshot of the CheckMail and Judge's SysStats Gmail docklet running side-by-side. If you are able to make your docklet look more like Judge's, I shall be extremely happy!

checkmailvssysstatsgmaieu8.png

Thank you once again for this great docklet - keep up the great work! ;)

Cheers,

James

x

Hotmail HTTP is not yet implemented... I implemented it for gmail... I have just started research on hotmail http and when that's done I will continue with IMAP.

alright so there's now compatibility for HTTP Hotmail emails? And IMAP is being implemented? I'll check it out once I get back on my notebook, I'm on my iphone now.

Today I was able to create a little test app which let me connect to an IMAP server and select the inbox. As defined in the IMAPv4 RFC, this command show iformation similar to:

Example: C: A142 SELECT INBOX

S: * 172 EXISTS

S: * 1 RECENT

S: * OK [uNSEEN 12] Message 12 is first unseen

S: * OK [uIDVALIDITY 3857529045] UIDs valid

S: * FLAGS (Answered Flagged Deleted Seen Draft)

S: * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (Deleted Seen *)] Limited

S: A142 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed

where only the two first (EXISTS, RECENT) are mandatory (so implementation of UNSEEN is optional for the IMAP server). To be fair, and to mantaint the other docklet's supported protocols I should return the EXISTS value... but I could easily report back the RECENT one.

So what do you think?

Hi,

IMAP is working fine for me, but I think that finally you have used the EXISTS flag. So it is not really useful for me, as I leave all my mails on the server. Is it possible to have an option to choose between EXISTS and UNSEEN ( and if UNSEEN is not available, to use RECENT ) ?

I'm not sure... this is something that is not available an all other implementations... it's an IMAP only feature.

Let me hear a bit more of your feedback so I can get a concensus on this.

Hi,

IMAP is working fine for me, but I think that finally you have used the EXISTS flag. So it is not really useful for me, as I leave all my mails on the server. Is it possible to have an option to choose between EXISTS and UNSEEN ( and if UNSEEN is not available, to use RECENT ) ?

Welll it seems that it would be a better idea to use UNSEEN if it is available and if it is not (since the RFC does not mandate the server implementor on this) to use RECENT (which is mandatory)... I am not sure about adding yet another configuration option to the dialog... it seems to me that is getting progresively complex as new protocols & options are being added... I would like to keep it simple.

But anyway, personally I surely can deal with a complex config dialog... but what do you think? After all, the docklet is for you.

Welll it seems that it would be a better idea to use UNSEEN if it is available and if it is not (since the RFC does not mandate the server implementor on this) to use RECENT (which is mandatory)... I am not sure about adding yet another configuration option to the dialog... it seems to me that is getting progresively complex as new protocols & options are being added... I would like to keep it simple.

But anyway, personally I surely can deal with a complex config dialog... but what do you think? After all, the docklet is for you.

Okay this wat I think, I have no idea about the EXITS and Unseen but heres 2 solutions for this:

1: the add button is like a button drop down that selects which type of email ur going to add

EX: [Add>] {thats the drop box, then when clicked it says this:}

POP3

IMAP

2: u clicked the add button and all it says is this:

EX: Unique Name

Mail Address [type box]

Password [type box]

then the docklet will scan for the Mail accounts settings, it will say in a pop up window one of these sayings

-Your [iMAP or POP3 use whatever it is] Mail account has been configured.

- [This is when it can't get the mails settings] Your Mail account cannot be found or isn't supported.

Those are my solutions

Indeed, Gmail supports IMAP access, so if you want to access your gmail account via IMAP then you should configure it as an IMAP account, not as a HTTP Gmail account.

Maybe this is confusing but I tried to make it clear that the HTTP access for Gmail is just another way to do it, actually, a Gmail account could be configured in any of the options presented by the docklet:

1. As a POP3 account using SSL (only works if you have paid access to the account)... this option will let you access any account that supports POP3 access (either Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo... the only catch is that POP3 on these services require SSL & a paid account - at least, for the US where many of you reported that this kind of access it was available only as a paid service)

2. As an IMAP account using SSL, it seems that this setup is supported as a no-charge option) again, any account that supports IMAP will do (Gmail does support IMAP access).

3. As an HTTP Gmail account... this uses HTTPS to access the account, will work ONLY with gmail accounts, but is a no-charge access method.

So again, a Gmail account could be configured as either... there are a few gotchas...

+ to use POP3 access you need to pay an additional fee (In mexico is still free), I have found that it might be some problems with this metod when used to access a Gmail account since apparently it does not report the number of mails accurately.

+ HTTP Gmail is free...only reports the number of mails at the inbox.

+ IMAP, I think this is free also, IMAP protocol would give more info on your inbox... like EXISTS (number of mails in the inbox), RECENT (number of mails maked by the server as... well RECENT - do not ask me, I really do not know what is the meaning of this.) or UNREAD (not all server do return this value).

Hope this clarifies how the docklet works with a Gmail account.

I can deal... But can't you have a combo that you show only for IMAP ?

I wonder if you can use it for GMail too, as people might leave or download their mails ( I think GMail supports IMAP now no ? )