CheckMail Docklet for ObjectDock

Smaky

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But isn't EXISTS ( or RECENT if EXISTS is not implemented but I guess that in this case it would return the number of unread mails ) the best setting, as you would use POP ( or HTTP for GMail ) to know how many mails you have in your mailbox ?

Thanks for all the answers, and good job !

If I want to mantain consistence with the other protocols... EXISTS shouls be used since that is the number of mails in the INBOX.

Other comments have stated that it would be better to show the RECENT or UNREAD figure... but it would make the docklet not to show the same information when a different protocol is selected (that would be the case a gmail account which could be configured as either type).

That's fine for me... but I am afraid that many users would not understand the difference.

But... I have decided to implement that as a config parameter at the account level and let the user choose.

But isn't EXISTS ( or RECENT if EXISTS is not implemented but I guess that in this case it would return the number of unread mails ) the best setting, as you would use POP ( or HTTP for GMail ) to know how many mails you have in your mailbox ?

Thanks for all the answers, and good job !

Unfortunately, to my understanding, the native windows multimedia API only supports wav files... no MP3... adding support for MP3 files would require adding additional libraries that would increase the complexity and memory footprint of the docklet... I don't know... besides it would require me to research on this too (I have never programmed an MP3 API before).

So I will look at this... but I'm not sure if I will implement that.

For the sound options I noticed it is .wav only will it work with mp3's? I make Widgets for Yahoo Widgets and .wav files crash the Widget's on the macintosh, so most of the sound files I have are .mp3's.
Okay this wat I think, I have no idea about the EXITS and Unseen but heres 2 solutions for this:

1: the add button is like a button drop down that selects which type of email ur going to add

EX: [Add>] {thats the drop box, then when clicked it says this:}

POP3

IMAP

2: u clicked the add button and all it says is this:

EX: Unique Name

Mail Address [type box]

Password [type box]

then the docklet will scan for the Mail accounts settings, it will say in a pop up window one of these sayings

-Your [iMAP or POP3 use whatever it is] Mail account has been configured.

- [This is when it can't get the mails settings] Your Mail account cannot be found or isn't supported.

Those are my solutions

Um fedro look at this please

I found some info on friday... it seems that addind mp3 support is not that hard... I will try to check on that during the week.

Thanks but yes if you have to add a lot of more work to it never mind, it would be easier for me to just convert the existing mp3 to a wav file.

An small update:

+ I have just updated the docklet to be able to support UNSEEN/RECENT messages when IMAP protocol is configured.

+ Added options to configure font size & color. Rotation is still missing... it was more difficult than I believed.... will try to add it to next update.

It seems that whenever you access your account via web mail the unseen/recent flag gets reset for the messages in your inbox... I have found the very same behaviour with my corporate email account... unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it... I have checked it several times and as soon as I open the account via it's web interface the number is set to cero again.... I'll just have to wait until there are more mails in the account to see this number to increase.

I believe that this mean that UNSEEN is not the same as UNREAD... and there is no UNREAD option between the IMAP protocol (please correct me if I am wrong).

BTW: If you want, I could uplopad a little test app that let you consult your IMAP account from the command line so you can take a look at the message sent by your server (from which I extract the figures shown by the docklet).

UNSEEN/RECENT doesn't seems to work, I always have 0 unseen mail. Else if I don't check this option it works, I have the number of mails in my Inbox folder.

Charles

An small update:

+ I have just updated the docklet to be able to support UNSEEN/RECENT messages when IMAP protocol is configured.

+ Added options to configure font size & color. Rotation is still missing... it was more difficult than I believed.... will try to add it to next update.

alright the font options working nice but 2 things wrong:

1: i tested it like this, I use my AOL (IMAP account) to be the watched account, I use the show unseen/recent feature u just added, it says no new mails which im pleased with so far untill this happens: I send that account a test mail, tell the docklet to check for mail then it says "14 messages are in your inbox" I want to just say the unread not all of them.

2: this was an old request long ago thats been neglected, when theres no mail the docklets label says "There are no messages in your inbox" I want ot be able to alter what it says when theres no mail like say for example " NO MESSAGES".

Please try to fix/implement these features.

Thankyou

BTW: If you want, I could uplopad a little test app that let you consult your IMAP account from the command line so you can take a look at the message sent by your server (from which I extract the figures shown by the docklet).

Sure I can do that, I have a few IMAP accounts that I can test.

1: i tested it like this, I use my AOL (IMAP account) to be the watched account, I use the show unseen/recent feature u just added, it says no new mails which im pleased with so far untill this happens: I send that account a test mail, tell the docklet to check for mail then it says "14 messages are in your inbox" I want to just say the unread not all of them.

Thankyou

I believe this is part of your answer....

I believe that this mean that UNSEEN is not the same as UNREAD... and there is no UNREAD option between the IMAP protocol (please correct me if I am wrong).

2: this was an old request long ago thats been neglected, when theres no mail the docklets label says "There are no messages in your inbox" I want ot be able to alter what it says when theres no mail like say for example " NO MESSAGES".

Please try not to sound so pushy it is hard work coding an application especially the one he is doing. I have been surprised that he has been able to do the things he has so far. Find me another mail docklet that can do this much.

fedroponce is not getting paid to do this work so ask for something and then let it go. If he decides to implement it he will if not bite your tongue and deal with it.

I have been here many a years and watched many of developers walk away because the are being pushed to do their work. I have also seen many of people give this same speech I'm giving now, so please be patient, cooperative and above all else considerate to your fellow members.

fedroponce, thank you for adding the font/size configuration. May I ask how one can select font styles (specifically Bold, as in Lucida Grande Bold)?

On my system, I have noticed that the CheckMail docklet only appears to function correctly when the dock (Rocketdock in this case) is started. Any mail that is received after this time is not picked-up by the docklet, either automatically (using the time), or manually (selecting the 'Check Mail Now' menu item).

For your information, I am using a Gmail account, configured for IMAP only (POP access is disabled).

One other bug that I have noticed is that the Up/Down arrows in the configuration GUI appear to be reversed - clicking the Up arrow decreases the value, while clicking the Down arrow increases the value. Is this perhaps because I am using a Japanese version of Windows?

Thank you once again for your valued work on this useful docklet.

Cheers,

James

x

EDIT: After a little further testing, the CheckMail docklet will stop responding if the Animated icon is not found. I attempted to rename the icon to prevent the animation from appearing, however this obviously causes adverse effects. May I once again request, then, that an option to disable the animation please be added to future builds.

On a separate note, while I have no use for the animated icon, I would recommend changing the way such functionality is implemented by overlaying a transparent icon over the existing Background icon (as it done with the New Mail icon), which would allow users to select different Background icons, while still retaining the animation feature.

I get an unable to connect for my imap gmail account

On a separate note, while I have no use for the animated icon, I would recommend changing the way such functionality is implemented by overlaying a transparent icon over the existing Background icon (as it done with the New Mail icon), which would allow users to select different Background icons, while still retaining the animation feature.

I second this if possible it would be much easier to make the animation image(at least for me).

fedroponce' date=' thank you for adding the font/size configuration. May I ask how one can select font styles (specifically Bold, as in Lucida Grande Bold)?

[/quote']

I decided not to go for a full font selection dialgo for the sake of simplicity. You may only select the font face, size & color.

On my system' date=' I have noticed that the CheckMail docklet only appears to function correctly when the dock (Rocketdock in this case) is started. Any mail that is received after this time is not picked-up by the docklet, either automatically (using the time), or manually (selecting the 'Check Mail Now' menu item).

[/quote']

Right now I just don't have the time to fully test the docklet on anything that is not ObjectDock... I am taking notes here... in a couple of weeks when my current project (work) has ended I will review it's behaviour under other docks.

One other bug that I have noticed is that the Up/Down arrows in the configuration GUI appear to be reversed - clicking the Up arrow decreases the value' date=' while clicking the Down arrow increases the value. Is this perhaps because I am using a Japanese version of Windows?

[/quote']

I decided to go that way because a few docklets I came into were working like this... if this is a problem I may change it.

EDIT: After a little further testing' date=' the CheckMail docklet will stop responding if the Animated icon is not found. I attempted to rename the icon to prevent the animation from appearing, however this obviously causes adverse effects. May I once again request, then, that an option to disable the animation please be added to future builds.

[/quote']

That does not sound too difficult... I think I will include such an option in the next preview.

On a separate note' date=' while I have no use for the animated icon, I would recommend changing the way such functionality is implemented by overlaying a transparent icon over the existing Background icon (as it done with the New Mail icon), which would allow users to select different Background icons, while still retaining the animation feature.[/quote']

As a matter of fact, the animation completely replaces the background icon, it is not just the "animated " arrows being overlaid... actually is a sequence of icons that are being shown after an small delay (in a separate thread).

Ok, I think I got it this time... what you want is not to replace the full icon, but only to overlay a transparent icon over it... is that right?

If so, I will need to ask schmrom for a new set of icons... since I did not create the previous ones... I believe it should not be that difficult (I hope).

I second this if possible it would be much easier to make the animation image(at least for me).

Unfortunately UNREAD messages is something that the IMAP protocol would not send... just UNSEEN (which seems to get cleared as soon as you open your web mail viewer) or RECENT (which is even more obscure)... sorry but there is nothing I can do about it... It would require to implement a full mail client which would download email headers and the like to keep count on which ones has already been read... it is just too much for the docklet!

I will change the wording to Unseen/Recent... to aviod further confussion.

I know I have been asked to "polish" the messages... but I am not sure about creating a whole bunch of config parameters so you may change what the docklet shows... I'm afraid we will end up with a way too complex to configure docklet. Then again... I have taken note on this.

Thankyou

What problems are u facing?

These are my settings:

Account Type: IMAP Show Unread/Recent checked (I will change this just to avoid confusion it should be read as Unseen)

Server: imap.gmail.com

User Name: mygrmailaccount@gmail.com

Password: wel_whatever_password_you_ve_chosen

Port: 993

Use SSL Checked

This is the way I very first tested IMAP Protocol.

I decided not to go for a full font selection dialgo for the sake of simplicity. You may only select the font face, size & color.

This seems a little strange. May I ask why you do not use the standard Windows API to achieve such a task?

I decided to go that way because a few docklets I came into were working like this... if this is a problem I may change it.

It is not a problem, no. However, again, it is a little strange - one would expect that clicking an up arrow would increase the value, not decrease it.

Regardless, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

James

x