Windows 7 vs Snow Leopard

So lets start the flame wars...which is going to better;

Windows 7 or Snow Leopard?

Lets look at what we know so far.

Snow Leopard-

Is focusing on rewriting its core architecture. It'll have clever innovations and stellar performance on high performance machines. Above anything in its class.

Will also be rewriting the dated quicktime and giving it notable performance and compatibility (perhaps even wmv/divx out of the box)- this is important because quicktime is used extensively throughout the OS.

Better 3D performance, more streamlined javascript used by safari, smaller footprint.

Snow leopard is focusing not on its features but rather performance, stability and compatibility. It will pave the way for insanely good future hardware and future software features and innovations.

But it will be perhaps less 'exciting' to look at, as it will lack new features.

Windows 7-

Build's upon Vista's solid core. Yes, Vista while a bloated OS, still had good core architecture perhaps even better than that of Leopard.

Windows 7 promises better performance and streamlining of its UI.

Called by many "the Anti-Vista" or more accurately by others "what vista should have been", will be in my opinion a stubborn 'pruning' and 'refinement' of vista.

So far all reports point to Windows 7 as being faster in performance.

Perhaps the best features of 7 come on its surface level- with tweaks to the GUI and the way people navigate windows.

Windows 7 will be a solid OS release with great GUI refinements, perhaps not reaching Snow leopard in its kernel but perhaps exceeding it in its user experience with its streamlined performance and polished well thought out interface.

It will be more exciting on surface level to interact with.

In my opinion, between Leopard and Vista there was no question over the winner. With many users downgrading thier new PCs from Vista to Xp. How many people buying a new Mac downgraded to Tiger? if Anything, Leopard became a key tool in 'switching' countless users to the Mac platform with its flashy new features which built on the solid nature of Tiger.

However, I have to say the Next generation of OSes will be much more of a close battle. While I see Snow Leopard's architecture focus as being a good one, I think Im more tempted by Windows 7 because it will 'feel' newer on surface level.

What do you think?

So this thread is like 'What's better? Pepsi or Coca-Cola?' Leopard has been a Lightout while Vista has been a Blackout. As you said, both companies are working to make their OS more stable. Apple is just doing that , While Microsoft uhm, well, basing it in the previews, no new features, but, it's too early to judge both OSes. Is too soon. I will wait till more info comes out to make my judgement.

So this thread is like 'What's better? Pepsi or Coca-Cola?'

Kinda, its more speculation. And unjustified flaming if it comes up :P

Microsoft uhm, well, basing it in the previews, no new features, but

Umm? well there's the radically redesigned taskbar and switching for one. Not to mention the less cluttered Windows explorer and the new 'touch' technology which is supposedly going to blow the iphone 'out of the water'.

There are many new features.

it's too early to judge both OSes. Is too soon. I will wait till more info comes out to make my judgement.

Yes of course its early days.

Lets just discuss what we know for interests sakes... and flame for entertainment sakes. Knowing that its early days and that there isnt much truths in our arguements.

I'll be in HighSchool by then I'll still need Windows

As you mentioned, bootcamp is a good way to get the best of both worlds. But theres no reason why Mac OSX wont do the job for school- It has office 2008 and a variety of other compatible applications and file formats. Its all a matter of getting the right program for the right job.

Snow Leopard?

Anybody who think's that's a competitor is clearly a half-witted moron.

To further my point, Windows 7 doesn't stand a chance against Snow Leopard, you idiots!

I think from my points, the winner is obvious.

Now thats the Flame Grilled Whopper Burger I was after!

( I actually took you seriously for five seconds till I realized both sentences contradicted each other)

Yeah but not all school's got Macs and more than likely the apps they're gonna ask me to run is probably for Windows. Besides by that time Office '12 maybe out or coming soon around that time, if not ill bootcamp my Office '07 so I won't waste money buying another Office App Suite that maybe obsolete in about 1 to 2 years.

meh... Im sorry but Linux is lame.

OK, sorry... let me correct myself; linux itself is Not lame, in fact it has a purpose.

But, those thinking Linux will result in World domination are definitely lame.

On principal, by its very concept- Linux will never live up to the other OS' that exist- it lacks funding, resources, a central committee, direction, and at the end of the day coding without cash doesnt pay the bills... so it lacks effort.

i think that windows 7 is going to be like vista is now. vista lives (almost at least imo) up to tiger. windows 7 will live up to leopard, and microsoft will always be a step behind, at least until Apple makes a blunder.

Snow Leopard is going to be all performance based, in a nutshell, making what you have even better, your GPU is basically going to be another CPU, thus making everything look and feel amazing.

TBs upon TBs of data will be able to be stored, the speed that they are saved is up to the manufacturers, but I am sure Apple will work with someone to make a fantastic HDD that works great.

I think windows 7 will be, fun, possibly. touch controls add life to anything and possibly holograms could be next? just throwing it out there, TVs are starting to develop them, touch controls with holograms even. Very Nicee

New generation of Macintosh OS-X "Snow Leopard" to suport Cocoa Finder and ImageBoot

" Apple next-generation Snow Leopard operating system will introduce a massive re-write of the Mac OS X Finder and debut a new feature called ImageBoot.

Cocoa-based Finder

People familiar with matter say the Finder, which currently stands as one of the oldest Carbon-based applications in the Mac OS portfolio, has been completely re-written in the company's native object-oriented application program environment called Cocoa.

Apple has reportedly tapped select members of its developer community to begin testing the updated graphical file system manager as part of a new pre-release copy of Snow Leopard belonging to the build train 10Axxx. In addition, many of the Apple-authored applications accompany the new build are also said to have been wrapped completely in Cocoa.

Microsoft Exchange Support

Other advances are also present in the new test software, such as broader support for Microsoft Exchange 2007 in Snow Leopard's versions of iCal, Address Book and Mail. The implementation of Exchange support remains a work in progress, according to those familiar with the matter. As such, Apple has reportedly asked that developers focus their testing efforts on a subset of Exchange capabilities, such as scheduling events in iCal, adding contacts to Address Book 5.0, and automated account configuration in Mail.

ImageBoot

When it makes its debut, likely at WWDC 2009, Snow Leopard will also introduce a new, third option for disc image-based installation called ImageBoot. Based on Apple's existing NetBoot technology, which allows Macs to boot from a remote disk over the network, ImageBoot will allow users to set up any number of disk images on a secondary partition or external drive, and then selectively boot their system from any one of those disk images at startup.

This new feature will allow users to set up a series of test environments or uniquely configured Mac OS X systems, store the bootable systems as discrete disk images, and subsequently store multiple boot targets on the same disk or partition. Currently, only one bootable Mac OS X installation can be stored on a given disk partition.

With ImageBoot, multiple NetBoot sets can be maintained locally on the same storage partition, and the user can select any one of the disk images available to boot from without having to restore or mount the disk image first. The result is a system that works similar to virtualization software such as Parallels, which can create disk images for different PC operating systems and selectively boot from any of them. The difference is that Mac OS X isn't booting up in a virtual environment; it actually boots a fully native Mac OS X system. "

'ars technica'.

Haha ;)

It was a semi-joke, it's nowhere near like that, but windows is better because of software. The actual OS is probably inferior (slower, less stable, closed source, so on), but I'm a windows man. For games, basicly. Can't run Crysis:Warhead in Wine. :(

That is true, getting used to new software like GIMP from Photoshop is pretty drastic, though still tolerable. The games though, that is definitely a problem. It's mostly due to WINE missing a ton of Windows API's that the games need to run on. There have been some progress though, at least it hasn't completely stagnated and games like HL2 and Bioshock (I think) have so far been successfully working.

The bottomline: is the software you want to use available on the above mentioned os.

Most serious business software is windows based, most popular games also. That narrows the choice down quite a bit for most users.

I have tested XP, Vista, W7, Leopard and Ubuntu 8.10. They are all fine for general use (inet, wp).

Its nice to have a choice.

So the only thing I hate is the link between software and hardware on macs, but that is a different flamewar ;)