Xwd - The Off-topic Thread

Deavy

Well I didn't think Andrews post was "crap", actually it was quite interesting to know that he did these Wikipedia entries. It's certainly not "off topic", imho.

I think a new thread is fine for such news like Andrews, but remember: this wasn't possible at the time he posted it, so please don't overreact, guys. We all have to fit in with this new situation :) Splitting the main thread is a good idea, but finding the right place for things might be hard from time to time.

@Panta: I think in difficult cases like this one, where it is not clear where to move a post, you could PM the author before moving the post. This would be more polite, imho. You don't have to do this in obvious cases, of course. I would be pissed too, if I found my post, which i thought would be interesting, suddenly in the Off-Topic-Thread :D

@Andrew, if I where you i would start a new thread, with the Topic "XWindows Dock on Wikipedia" or something. I would like that :) You could collect the Links to different language Wikis, when there are other people writing articles or share Info with other authors. (BTW: Is XWD really considered to be Creative Commons?)

I think you got it totally wrong mate! Ooops!! LOL

We were actually chatting very friendly about the changes. No flames, no hidden agenda... lol

I guess you just woke up, no? Time for a great expresso! :P

ps: magnus87 created the Wikipedia entry, and not AndrewYY; wake up my friend!! :D

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol, en contraire! I'm not asleep for more than 20 hours :D So, yeah, i might have got something wrong, sorry :P But espresso, now? Uh, I don't know...
Then... go to bed, my friend! :D In fact we both seem to be like owls... yesterday I slept from 6am to 11am, and today won't be any different...

I've never seen sooo many options in a dock, this is really a beautiful job. Thank you very much Bobah13.

BUT

It is not usable on my pentium4 3.20ghz with agp gforce 5600 with 1GO of RAM (Rocketdock is) It's too heavy on resource.

I think that even on a faster computer the magnification animation would not be as smooth as Rocketdock's.

Be that as it may, it still is a great program, I only think it could be optimized for resource... but I'm not a programmer.

By Panta: moved. Doesn't belong to the main thread...

I've never seen sooo many options in a dock, this is really a beautiful job. Thank you very much Bobah13.

BUT

It is not usable on my pentium4 3.20ghz with agp gforce 5600 with 1GO of RAM (Rocketdock is) It's too heavy on resource.

I think that even on a faster computer the magnification animation would not be as smooth as Rocketdock's.

Be that as it may, it still is a great program, I only think it could be optimized for resource... but I'm not a programmer.

It's not smooth than RocketDock ? I can't understand then how to make it smoother... I hear every day that it must be smoother, and then I hear that it takes a lot of resources... I can't understand and I tired repeat answering this questions... because it repeats so many times...

BUT

I actually think XWD 5.4 has the smoother magnification effect from all of the dock apps for windows.

It's not smooth than RocketDock ? I can't understand then how to make it smoother... I hear every day that it must be smoother, and then I hear that it takes a lot of resources... I can't understand and I tired repeat answering this questions... because it repeats so many times...

I've noticed this:

When you move the mouse into the dock, it zooms crispy.

But then, you move mouse between icons and animation is smooth. Indeed it is almost as smooth as RocketDock, and we have to consider you're rendering icon reflection so it ought be twice as slower with plenty of justification. So it's okay.

Then you move mouse outside dock, and icons zoom out crispy again.

What's going on when you move mouse inside / outside the dock? That's the only non-smooth part, I would say icons zoom at 15 fps or less.

I've noticed this:

But then, you move mouse between icons and animation is smooth. Indeed it is almost as smooth as RocketDock, and we have to consider you're rendering icon reflection so it ought be twice as slower with plenty of justification. So it's okay.

What's going on when you move mouse inside / outside the dock? That's the only non-smooth part, I would say icons zoom at 15 fps or less.

It is true. But is not so bad. I'm quite happy with this release as it is.

I've noticed this:

I agree 100%. Scrolling is delicious ;) but zooming is pretty slow.

I've noticed this:

I copy that! Moving the Mouse in/out the dock is the problem. I think the reaction time, till the magnification kicks in, when i moved over the dock, is quite long. Moving around on the Dock is VERY smooth.

Sorry Bobah13, I didn't mean to hurt you with my comment. There now so many threads open on this forum for your dock that I can't keep up reading them all, I hadn't realized I wasn't the ony one stressing that point. I have posted once on a thread asking if the jerky animation was normal for my computer specs, the only answer I got was "your computer is obsolete". I KNOW IT IS, but I'm saving up for a macbook.

I also once reported a problem with the animation on entering the dock (as Matonga explained earlier) I have noticed it has been corrected, at least partially.

I am perfectly conscious about what Matonga says ,you have to manage two animations (icon+ reflexion) so It would be greedy, of course.

I'm sorry if my comment was a little harsh, It's just that I'm frustrated with the animation because all the rest about yout dock is so far beyong my wildest expectation.

Than it's clear (I think) that it can't deal X and Y axis cursor position modification simultaneously. It is no problem once the cursor is on dock and magnification is already fully effective.
I don't think Andrew said that ("it can't deal X and Y axis cursor position modification simultaneously"); I think he said it's more perceivable, and that's right, because you cross over many icons that way...

I don't think Andrew said that ("it can't deal X and Y axis cursor position modification simultaneously"); I think he said it's more perceivable, and that's right, because you cross over many icons that way...

I think we may be all (partially) wrong. Try to slide your mouse cursor from the corner of the screen to the dock following the lower edge of the screen/dock.

@Panta: I'm not a native English speaker.

I think we may be all (partially) wrong. Try to slide your mouse cursor from the corner of the screen to the dock following the lower edge of the screen/dock.

It has something to do with when the dock decides it needs to start zooming. The dock decides to zoom a bit late, and realizes this, so it skips to compensate, leaving this jagged feel. Vertical motion only looks alright (it skips a bit at the beginning and the end). Horizontal motion only (from side of dock) is alright as long as you don't move your mouse all the way to the second icon. I think this is because "scroll" mode is kicking in and automatically skips the zoom.

@Bobah: could you tell us how exactly your dock handles zooming? That might help us diagnose the problem ;)

Me neither... about the experiment you're suggesting, it's been already mentioned - by atreiu, I think.
What is value of "magnification time span" ? Mine is 250 and I haven't problems..
I've lowered mine to 150ms and it's scrolling as fast as one of my OD+ docks (I have an OD+ dock right above XWD just for testing this kind of things - they scroll simultaneously, and damn fast!).

It has something to do with when the dock decides it needs to start zooming. The dock decides to zoom a bit late, and realizes this, so it skips to compensate, leaving this jagged feel. Vertical motion only looks alright (it skips a bit at the beginning and the end). Horizontal motion only (from side of dock) is alright as long as you don't move your mouse all the way to the second icon. I think this is because "scroll" mode is kicking in and automatically skips the zoom.

@Bobah: could you tell us how exactly your dock handles zooming? That might help us diagnose the problem ;)

I think that it doesn't detect X axis movement because if you follow a vertical line from outside into the dock magnification works perfectly.

Same value here: 250 ms. Still crispy.

atreiu?

I tried many values, 50ms is working best for me, but this value seems not to have an effect on the crispiness of mouse-in/out-behavior. I only see differences in the mouse-already-on-dock behavior, which is very smooth. in/out smoothness does not seen effect.

PS: I don't think X/Y-Axis has anything to do with it.

mine never does the same thing, sometimes works perfectly, sometimes the crispy magnification as matonga said, sometimes magnifies but in a tiny scale and sometimes doesn't do anything at all for a sec or two.

and yeah, I have a pretty old machine (I'm not using window reflections)

I know this must be in the bug reports or the help section but everybody (included you, Panta) is discussing it here.