Could anyone please help me know what upgrades will do what to my computer?! Thanks!

Hello there,

I am really rather enjoying playing computer games at the moment but I think that my PC is not up to scratch. To me it sounds fantastically fast but it doesn't run games as quickly as I reckon it should. I think it is the graphics card that is letting me down. But I was hoping someone would be able to help me decide that...!

This is what I have (I'm pulling this directly of a 'dxdiag' because Im not sure about some of the stuff!):

IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® D CPU 2.80Ghz (2CPUs);

2046MB RAM;

Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (ATI)

I think they're the main three things I have to be concerned about?

So, is it the graphics card? Can you tell from that information what I would need to upgrade in order to run games like 'Crysis' and, the one I'm really rather looking forward to "Medieval II: Total War"? (Diverse tastes... I know!)

I hope you can help!!!

Thank you!

eclipse wood garage doors

Download Registry Cleaner

If you're not restricted by budget. Get Core i7 920 processor + X58 mobo and 4GB of DDR3 RAM along with either ATi HD4870 graphics. One thing to note about Graphic card is that it's no point spending on high-end graphic card unless you're playing at really high resolution with graphic settings maxed out.

A quick table should to help you...

Resolution : 1280 x 1024 | 1280 x 800 to 1680 x 1050

Graphic Card : ATi 4670, ATi 4850

Resolution : 1600 x 1200, 1920 x 1200

Graphic Card : ATi 4870 512, ATi 4870 1GB

Resolution : 2560 x 1600

Graphic Card : ATi 4870 X2

If the budget is an issue.. then get Core2Quad Q6600 or Core2Duo E8400 processor, X48 based mobo and 4GB DDR2 800/1066MHz Ram.

If you can share more info such as your display resolution and games you play, I can help you deciding complete configuration which will be great Value for Money. :)

• 2 weeks later...