Standalone Stack 2

If you look in Task Manager you will see that StandaloneStack2.exe is always running.

Yes, I know it is always running, that's what I'm asking : Could it work like kkmenu : load on clik and unload once the stack is folded back. that would save ressource.

Use a shortcut to it in the dock with arguments that should remove the running indicator.

What do you mean? What arguments can I use ?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, will it be possible to quickly edit a few words of the program? (thanks to the AjaxTrans web)

La nouvelle version marche très très bien. Merci beaucoup, Christian.

J'ai, en tout cas, un petit désir: lorsqu'on n'est pas angloparlant on veut éditer quelques mots du programme (tels que l'accès au explorer, très necessaire pour ajouter plus d'accès directs). Avec la première version c'était possible de traduire quelque chose, mais pas avec la v.2. (merci mes professeurs de français)

OK, next release ( or next ) will be multilingual.

@biznotcher

Have the latest version. Running on WinXP SP2. My problem is if my stack contains a shortcut, I cannot launch it from the stack. Usually I click and nothing happens. Other times I get a "parameter not correct" dialog. If I have EXE files or other programs within the stack directly, they launch fine.

Is there a way to launch shortcuts from within a stack?

have you disabled the arrow icon of the shortcut ? or done some hack with shortcuts ?

i don't understand this bug, for so few users...

These screen shots are from "SnowLeopard" I think. There is not available scroll feature in standalone stack 2. He imply that "we are waiting for this, if you add this feature I'm gonna be happy"

Yes, it's from Snow Leopard, so beautifull , we need an update from Matonga to have this :D

Just a question though, would it be possible to completely unload the program from memory once the stack has been closed. In Y'z dock, after the first use a running indicator remains under the icon.

in the options, uncheck "keep in memory when stack is closed" to unload standalonestack.exe. Kill this process and try again if it doesn't work the first time.

Thank you for this terrific app! I hope someone is clapping you on the back because you definitely deserve it!

One quick question about using the custom .png icons. I've been able to get the "folder" icon to appear, but not the file extension icons. (.avi, .pdf, etc.) However, I've noticed that they will work if I rename the file to include the extension at the end. In other words to have the custom ".avi" icon appear for the .avi file "Movie" I would need to change the name to "Movie.avi".

Now, am I wrong in thinking that these icons are supposed to work like the "folder" icon and appear for every matching file type? Or is it the case of where an icon needs to be created for each individual file?

Not entirely sure how to go about resolving the matter, but thanks again and best of luck with any future releases!

Thanks,

i think, it's a bug.

By default windows doesn't show the extension, but i always turn off this option to show all extensions, so i haven't seen this bug.

You can disable this option in the explorer->folder option->uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

however, i will try to fix this bug.

I'm having a problem:

I've installed Standalone Stack 2, or rather extracted the program to a "C:\Programs\Standalone Stack 2" folder. I rearranged all the folders/shortcuts in my "All Programs" list on the Start Menu (via manipulation of the folders and shortcuts within the "Start Menu" folder in the "Documents and Settings" folder for "All Users." Once having everything arranged neatly, where, for example, all multimedia program links appear in a folder named "Multimedia," I proceded to use Standalone Stack 2 to create stacks for these subfolders of the Start Menu folder. The first one seemed to work; I created a stack for the general "Programs" folder within the Start Menu, tested it but not thoroughly, and was satisfied with the results. I then proceded to make stacks for each additional folder that I wanted to have a stack for, all being folders within the Start Menu directory. Next, I proceded to change the icon for each short cut that Standalone Stack 2 had added to my desktop, so as to more easily distinguish the stacks from each other. Next, I copied and/or moved each of these stack shortcuts into the "Quick Lauch" bar on the Windows task bar, so that I could access each stack with a single click of the mouse. Next, I deleted each remaining copy of the original shortcuts that Standalone Stack 2 had created on my desktop, so as to maintain my icon-free desktop. Upon testing each new "Quick Launch" stack link, the stacks (arranged in the grid-pattern) appeared and worked perfectly in terms of my being able to navigate through the stack whether from the root directory forward or backward from subsequent sub-directories (folders). Further, when holding "Control" or by clicking the "Show in Explorer" icon, the stack opened that folder/directory in an Explorer window as perfectly as it should. However, a problem arises whenever I click an icon in the stack to open an actual program. Upon doing so, instead of opening the program immediately, Windows instead displays a "Move Items" window that asks me to "select the location of the place where you want to move "program name here." If I close this window via the X or cancel button, the appropriate program does indeed open after. The bug presents itself for each of the 7 stacks I've created for each ".exe" program link in each stack. However, I've discovered that for programs that are launched through the Windows shell, "Control Panel" being one example, the "Move Items" window does not appear and the program opens as normal. Thinking that the copying/moving of the original Standalone Stack 2 created shortcuts could be the culprit, I created a new stack and shorcut on my desktop using one of the same Start Menu folders as before and didn't move it or change the icon. Upon testing it, I discovered that the same thing happens. If I use the stack to lauch an executable program, the "Move Items" window appears without fail. Here are some system specs in case such information is needed to troubleshoot my problem:

Windows XP Home SP3 with all current updates

Athlon XP 3200+ Processor

1 Gb DDR2 RAM

Soyo KT600 Mainboard (Via KT600 chipset)

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Thank you in advance for your help, and thanks for creating such a nifty utility!

@dieter1

have you disabled the arrow icon of the shortcut ? or done some hack with shortcuts ?

ChristianS,

Firstly, sorry for the long, drawn-out report I gave previously, detailing a bug that had already been reported. (I had read through the entire thread, but somehow missed the most recent report of what I am calling the "Shortcut to" bug.) In answer to the question you asked @dieter1, you could say that I had "done some hack with shortcuts." On the offending system, I used the TweakUI utility to eliminate the "Shortcut to" prefix from all shortcuts. However, I did NOT disable the arrow on the shortcut icons. I've tried re-enabling the "Shortcut to" prefix and afterwards creating new stacks, but it still doesn't work and always gives the "Move items" window that must be closed before the programs will open. This problems presents itself on a fresh install of XP Home SP3. Interestingly enough, I've just tested the program on another system, this one being an older install of XP Professional SP3. It too had the "Shortcut to" prefix disabled via TweakUI, and like the problem system, did not have the arrow disabled. Yet, even though the XP Pro system's shortcut settings were identicle to my other system, Standalone Stack 2 works with folders containing shorcuts! It works whether the "Shortcut to" is disabled or not. So, its not working on my XP Home SP3 system but working on my XP Pro SP3 system, even though they're setup up essentially the same way (same system tweaks), except that I'm using different themes on each system. Do you think this bug could have something to do with the errant system being XP Home instead of Pro?

Thanks.

Hello,

I tried StanaloneStack on three Systems, two XP Pro and on Vista. On one of the XP Pro Systems there is no manipulation with the Shortcuts. On the other XP Pro and the Vista System there are the “Shortcut to” is deactivated. The result is in every case the same.

If I used a Shortcut which was produced by the MS-Office 2003 installation, I receive the error massage: “Wrong Parameter”.

OK, i've reproduced the bug with a shortcut of office 2007 copied from the start menu.

that's because it's not a "standard" shortcut, if you look its properties, no can see no program path.

i suppose the bug is only for this kind of shortcut ? ( no program path, no start folder )

i'm searching for a fix...

I think this is great only I don't use it much, it would really be great if you could incorporate all of this to a regular docklet (Matonga are you getting this ha ha ha)

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I did figure out a way for Standalone to work with RocketDock.

First create your stack. (it's not necessary to create a shortcut) Then go to RocketDock and select "Add Item" from the menu. Then select "File". Locate your "StandaloneStack2.exe" file and select it. Then, go to "Icon Settings". In "Arguments" type in the name of the stack using double quotations. (i.e. "Documents", "Videos", etc.) Last step is to delete everything in the "Start in" parameter or else you will get an error. Also, the first time you run the stack it may be necessary to do more than one click to get it to run. After that I've noticed it usually runs fine.

Final note - Shortcuts created for individual stacks won't automatically register with RocketDock. If you use one it will only run the "StandaloneStack2.exe" file. It's only when you enter the name of the stack in "Arguments" that you'll be able to have it appear.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I did figure out a way for Standalone to work with RocketDock.

Thanks but that is not what I meant, if you use the Stacks 2.0 docklet you will see what I mean in the dock. It displays one icon and when clicked on another icon appears this cannot be accomplished with a shortcut it needs to be an actual docklet. The options in th Stacks 2.0 for the icon are as follows;

1. Don't use icon- in which case it displays icons from the selected folder

2. Use Icon as stack icon- which has the reaction I previously stated

3. use icon as box overlay- which displays icon in the folder inside of a box

These are the things I would like to see. As of right now I wait patiently for Matonga to port the stacks 2.0 to C++ in which case I hope he is able to implement some of the things ChristianS have accomplished here.

O.K. Just did a complete reinstall (this time installed as a Virtual PC within my XP Pro) of Windows XP Home SP3 with all current updates. This time, I did not tweak anything, at least nothing to do with the way windows stores or accesses files or shortcuts. So, just for the record, here is a list of the problems I'm still getting:

- Any stack containing shortcuts, even those with the "start in" and "path" completely and accurately filled in results in the appearance of the "Move items" window.

- I know in an older version you wrote that the program couldn't create a stack for the Control Panel in XP, but I thought I'd give it a try, hoping that the latest version had remedied that. I have Windows set to show the Control Panel in the My Computer directory, so I used that link/path to create a stack. So, although I am able to get the program to create a stack for the Control Panel, only about half the control panel links work, the other half act as if Standalone Stack was opening empty folders, which upon clicking the subsequent "Show in Explorer" icon, merely opens the Control Panel in Explorer instead of the actual program.

- Any stack that I attempt to delete via the program's "Delete Stack" button locks up the program and presents an error notification screen that asks if I want to abort the program or run a debugger. Neither choice does anything, and I must manually kill the process to proceed. (I had experienced this 'stack deletion' problem before whenever I'd rename the stack shortcut. But now, in this latest install, it does it for every stack I create, regardless.)

Are there any others out there who can reproduce these bugs? Again, the program functions perfectly (except for the "Delete Stack" button) in my Windows XP Pro system. If it would be helpful, I could post screen caps of the errors as they occur.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. ChristianS, I've not recieved any direct acknowledgement from you to any of my posts or questions. Not that I think you owe me one, but I'm trying to be helpful and report bugs in the program. Although, I have experienced cold shoulders before from programmers, especially when someone asks questions that have already been answered in previous posts. Yet, it would be nice to know that you're at least considering the specific situations I've reported. I've done so in the hopes providing feedback, not making complaints. Just a cry for attention from a lonely program beggar... :(

Thanks but that is not what I meant, if you use the Stacks 2.0 docklet you will see what I mean in the dock. It displays one icon and when clicked on another icon appears this cannot be accomplished with a shortcut it needs to be an actual docklet. The options in th Stacks 2.0 for the icon are as follows;

1. Don't use icon- in which case it displays icons from the selected folder

2. Use Icon as stack icon- which has the reaction I previously stated

3. use icon as box overlay- which displays icon in the folder inside of a box

These are the things I would like to see. As of right now I wait patiently for Matonga to port the stacks 2.0 to C++ in which case I hope he is able to implement some of the things ChristianS have accomplished here.

No, I see what you're saying. I've been waiting as well to see what Matonga has in store for 2.0.

I've just the same problem like 'CitizenOne'. Thx for your experiments, I'm also using xp home edition, and I'm wondering why the shortcuts in standalone stack don't work for many days.

Wish the next version could solve the problem. BTW, I love the new feature in Standalone 2, and I also use it in Y'Z dock~

ChristianS,

Firstly, sorry for the long, drawn-out report I gave previously, detailing a bug that had already been reported. (I had read through the entire thread, but somehow missed the most recent report of what I am calling the "Shortcut to" bug.) In answer to the question you asked @dieter1, you could say that I had "done some hack with shortcuts." On the offending system, I used the TweakUI utility to eliminate the "Shortcut to" prefix from all shortcuts. However, I did NOT disable the arrow on the shortcut icons. I've tried re-enabling the "Shortcut to" prefix and afterwards creating new stacks, but it still doesn't work and always gives the "Move items" window that must be closed before the programs will open. This problems presents itself on a fresh install of XP Home SP3. Interestingly enough, I've just tested the program on another system, this one being an older install of XP Professional SP3. It too had the "Shortcut to" prefix disabled via TweakUI, and like the problem system, did not have the arrow disabled. Yet, even though the XP Pro system's shortcut settings were identicle to my other system, Standalone Stack 2 works with folders containing shorcuts! It works whether the "Shortcut to" is disabled or not. So, its not working on my XP Home SP3 system but working on my XP Pro SP3 system, even though they're setup up essentially the same way (same system tweaks), except that I'm using different themes on each system. Do you think this bug could have something to do with the errant system being XP Home instead of Pro?

Thanks.

New : 2.0.5 - fix release - Thanks to Matonga for his help !

- fix the bug with shortcuts, "office" like shortcut works now, i hope the others too...

- fix the bug with files without extension ( explorer option : "hide file extension for know file types" ) and custom icons

- Config panel shortcuts work now in windows XP

Edited by ChristianS