Apple Releases Safari 4

Not much explanation needed here. (But if you really must)

Apple has released what their website introduces as "the world's fastest and most innovative web browser for Mac and PC."

88f7ffefeeae5ed483157b11899e25b2.png

Image courtesy of Apple.com

With such a gauntlet thrown, you know you want to download and try it out. ;)

And don't hesitate to share with us your impressions. I for one, wouldn't mind hearing about which poster's systems are capable of running it fine with all the bells & whistles, and which crawl with 20+ tabs.. Netbook owners care to weigh in?

You can also visit the original topic thread here.

more info about safari and Apple's World Wide Developer Conference courtesy of Gizmodo's live coverage.

I think its great!

I used the beta, found it extremely slow and buggy... I approached this one with caution.

But to my pleasant surprise, it feels like a refinement rather than a buggy overhaul of the old safari.

Pages load faster, theres nice transitions that make you feel like you're waiting less (ie- between coverflow/topsites and loading the site), and in general it just looks more streamlined and neat.

Well worth the upgrade. Nothing unpleasant.

i think it's great. it does seem a lot faster than the betas, and a lot less buggy. personally, i did like the tabs on top, but the only downside is that you couldn't use it with windowblinds. it was a mess. and i think it looked more "vista-ish" with the clear tabs on top. but i still like it, and now i can use it with windowblinds :) yeah i wish it would match the windowblinds themes, cuz it's so light. but i prefer it lighter than darker. my dad says he wants to get it, which is huge! he ABSOLUTELY HATES apple!!!!

I am on Windows Vista.I've been using beta as my 3rd browser (Mozilla,Google chrome) since the begging and i can say final version is much faster than beta but after only hour of using it crashed.It still eat my ram.I don't like this new windows feel it's google chrome ripoff,i used Safari 3 only because of Mac feel like most of the people.Top sites is really hard to use if you don't remember looks of the sites,you have to focus on window than to look down to see its name...It's still slower than Mozilla,still no add-ons and Safari 4 don't have nothing that can make Apple to say "the world's fastest and most innovative web browser for Mac and PC.".I don't hate Apple in matter of fact i love it but i use browsers as tools for exploring web not because of there eye-candy stuff.

Edited by Nikola

Safari 4

Love it:

They moved the tabs below the address bar.

Much more faster

Feeling of a sleeker GUI

Hate it:

Doesn't substitute Firefox (Im a PC user)

The GUI for PC users (hate the pale colour blue <_<)

It's a memory eater

Conclusions:

Apple has improve the performance of Safari, is the best web browser for both Mac & PC (if u have the required specs) users :)

Edited by Mauintosh

Gah

Im sick of Mac Firefox users, saying Safari isnt as customisable... (^Not referring directly to you ;) as you use a pc)

IT is so! If your on a Mac checkout pimpmysafari, or adds ons like safaristand, inquisitor, etc... where there is a will there is a way.

Safari is far more stable than firefox on a Mac! and it does everything you could possibly want it to!

That said, not so sure how Safari stacks up on a pc these days; probably better off still sticking with FF there.

I am on Windows Vista.I've been using beta as my 3rd browser (Mozilla,Google chrome) since the begging and i can say final version is much faster than beta but after only hour of using it crashed.It still eat my ram.I don't like this new windows feel it's google chrome ripoff,i used Safari 3 only because of Mac feel like most of the people.Top sites is really hard to use if you don't remember looks of the sites,you have to focus on window than to look down to see its name...It's still slower than Mozilla,still no add-ons and Safari 4 don't have nothing that can make Apple to say "the world's fastest and most innovative web browser for Mac and PC.".I don't hate Apple in matter of fact i love it but i use browsers as tools for exploring web not because of there eye-candy stuff.

1. Learn To Spell

2. Learn Some Grammar

3. They Killed The 'Tabs On Top'.

4. You can get Safari 4 To Look Like Leopard. Just Look Around.

5. Then Don't Use Top Sites, Personally, I like it.

6. It's screaming fast, unless you have a terrible computer.

7. Some 'eye-candy stuff' is helpful, such as Cover Flow History.

Not Trying To Be Rude, But Seriously... Have you used the browser?

• 2 weeks later...
1. Learn To Spell

2. Learn Some Grammar

3. They Killed The 'Tabs On Top'.

4. You can get Safari 4 To Look Like Leopard. Just Look Around.

5. Then Don't Use Top Sites, Personally, I like it.

6. It's screaming fast, unless you have a terrible computer.

7. Some 'eye-candy stuff' is helpful, such as Cover Flow History.

Not Trying To Be Rude, But Seriously... Have you used the browser?

If you not noticed I'm not Anglo-Saxon so you could jump over first two lines (grammar can be improved,mozilla take care of spelling) as i can see you understood what i was writing.

No i didn't tried it i just hate Safari,come on dude,bottom line is Safari is not too bad but it doesn't bring anything new we didn't saw in other browsers.When new browser (version) come on market you compare it with best comparable browser.If it's not better than the best,then...good bye see you next year. If you are PC user Safari will never be better than Mozilla for you and the main things are ADD-ONS!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...